Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

I'm surprised I've never responded to this one (see, I can still surprise myself sometimes). Because I play a lot of styles (rock, jazz, funk & fusion) and because I've really never had the room to have more than one kit at a time, I've been going through a lot of kits the past few years, with multiple tom setups and bass drum sizes. But I've finally found a kit that I think works well for pretty much everything I play:

20x16 bass drum, along with a 12x8 tom and 14x14 & 16x16 floor toms.

I sort of based this on a kit I saw Stanton Moore playing once, which were all these same sizes except for an 18" bass drum. While I love the sound of 18's, I wanted something just a little larger to cover more bases (boy, that was a really bad pun).

We fell short of the 100 replies target but close enough. Pretty clear how things go and most seem to agree that the genre marketed shell packs ("rock kit", "jazz kit") reinforce the norms:

Attachments

• table6.gif
    table6.gif
    4 KB · Views: 295
We fell short of the 100 replies target but close enough. Pretty clear how things go and most seem to agree that the genre marketed shell packs ("rock kit", "jazz kit") reinforce the norms :

Interesting results.......

Surprised to see such a small population of 20" users.

Not surprised to see only 13% make up the people who say they play jazz here. Seemed for a while this group was beginning to accumulate in numbers but it leveled off.

I play indie with a 20" bass drum. I've been playing it so long that every time I happen to play a 22" now it's absolutely shocking haha.

I think I'm the anomaly here. I finally brought out my 16x26 bass drum for my first rehearsal for my school kids shows and dang it I'll be the first one to say that drum works for everything. We went from show tunes, to country, to rock n roll, to jazz, to heavy modern dance numbers, and that bass drum sounds great in all of them. It's like a bigger (alot bigger) 22".

Surprised to see such a small population of 20" users.

Not surprised to see only 13% make up the people who say they play jazz here. Seemed for a while this group was beginning to accumulate in numbers but it leveled off.

Bear in mind that I've only recorded people's main genres and BD sizes. Early on there was a fair bit of (understandable) bellyaching about having to choose a single genre.

I think I'm the anomaly here. I finally brought out my 16x26 bass drum for my first rehearsal for my school kids shows and dang it I'll be the first one to say that drum works for everything. We went from show tunes, to country, to rock n roll, to jazz, to heavy modern dance numbers, and that bass drum sounds great in all of them. It's like a bigger (alot bigger) 22".

Yes Bo, you're The Anomaly - because you are:

*** NUMBER 100! ***

Attachments

• table7_100-responses.gif
    table7_100-responses.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 255
I'd have to say metal because 2/3 of the bands I worked with ended up being metal bands.

the bass drum is a 24" diameter x 22" depth. way too big for my liking. If I had the option I'd downsize to a 22' or ideally a 20" asap.

We fell short of the 100 replies target but close enough. Pretty clear how things go and most seem to agree that the genre marketed shell packs ("rock kit", "jazz kit") reinforce the norms:

do the advertised shell pack reinforce the norms because drummers buy the shell packs thinking that they'll fit their genre (self-fulfilled prophecy type of thing)? or do the genres call for the shell sizes?

Sizes, sizes, sizes, sizes, sizes... :)

Attachments

• Jiggling 2.jpg
    Jiggling 2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Ady, I had a listen to your stuff. I'd say "Other" - not much rock in there. Good sounding band.

Henri - you put my head on a man's body. You've put that poor head of mine into all sorts of invidious places!

Welcome to the forum :) You gave your singer a tambourine? - Brave ;)

ha ha, yeah, well, the devil makes works for idle hands!!
On those recording the tambo ia actually the only organic percussion sound we have. for the sake of the neighbours the demo's are recorded on an electric kit, as I'm sure you can tell. Thanks for having a listen.

Ady, I had a listen to your stuff. I'd say "Other" - not much rock in there. Good sounding band.

Henri - you put my head on a man's body. You've put that poor head of mine into all sorts of invidious places!

Thanks, I agree, I just really hate the description 'other'!!
some of our other songs do have a slightly rockier vibe but never enough for us to be regarded as rock in my opinion. Some people have said we have a more folky sound but that tends to be more apharent when we play live rather than when we record.
We're still really finding our feet I think and trying to improve as a band and as musicians, (we can't get any worse!!)

thanks for taking the time.

Back