Difference between PS3 and Emp. Wich head best for 80's metal?

HokosPokos

As I've understood PS3 and Emperor are both muffled 2-ply heads that's suited for rock/metal-drummers who doesn't want much overtones. But what's the difference between them? I played on a drumkit (a Tama Artstar, I have a Superstar) wich had Emperor and Ambassadors as reso and really liked, not a dead sound but some tone but very little overtone. But I have heard that PS3 is good too so I don't know what I should get.

And secondly, I love the snare that many 80's heavy metal bands had. I don't know how to describe the sound so I'll post some links instead. If someone would want to tell how that snare sounds I would be very appreciative. I don't know much what is what when it comes to that.

Of course you would have to get alooot of reverb but still there are cool bands that didn't have that much reverb and still get a very 80's sound. I'll give you some examples:

Tank - Kill. Reverb but that not much? Is this a very dead snare? I think this recording has a very unique snare.

Loudness - Like Hell: Reverb plus some more reverb

My drumteacher sayed Remo Pinstripe Clear would do the trick as snarehead since it would get no overtones and a very "damp" (don't know what to call it) sound.

As I've understood PS3 and Emperor are both muffled 2-ply heads that's suited for rock/metal-drummers who doesn't want much overtones. But what's the difference between them? I played on a drumkit (a Tama Artstar, I have a Superstar) wich had Emperor and Ambassadors as reso and really liked, not a dead sound but some tone but very little overtone. But I have heard that PS3 is good too so I don't know what I should get.

And secondly, I love the snare that many 80's heavy metal bands had. I don't know how to describe the sound so I'll post some links instead. If someone would want to tell how that snare sounds I would be very appreciative. I don't know much what is what when it comes to that.

Of course you would have to get alooot of reverb but still there are cool bands that didn't have that much reverb and still get a very 80's sound. I'll give you some examples:

Tank - Kill. Reverb but that not much? Is this a very dead snare? I think this recording has a very unique snare.

Loudness - Like Hell: Reverb plus some more reverb

My drumteacher sayed Remo Pinstripe Clear would do the trick as snarehead since it would get no overtones and a very "damp" (don't know what to call it) sound.

First off, the PS 3 is not a 2 ply head and the Emperor is not a muffled head. I'm not sure how to advise you.

A PS4 is a 2 ply head with a similar muffling to the PS3. I would start there

The PS3 is 1 ply not 2.

I would go with the PS3 and use a hard beater. Wood or Plastic to give you that click sound.
Oops, forgot a "not" in that sentence.

I assume beater is the same thing as drumstick? "Wood OR plastic for best result"? Is there a theird option?

Alot of us used pinstripes on our snares or cs black dot. Almost forgot make sure your snare is at least a 6.5 deep. Alot of us used 8 inch deep snares.

Okey, thank you for the info. Think I'll go with pinstripe for the snare and emperor for the toms.

8" snares? Jeez, must weigh a ton. Well, that's something I'll have to save some money for then. Mine is a stock Tama, 4,5" deep if I'm not mistaken.

Okey, thank you for the info. Think I'll go with pinstripe for the snare and emperor for the toms.

I know pinstripe was very populare back in the days, did you guys use them aswell for your toms?

8" snares? Jeez, must weigh a ton. Well, that's something I'll have to save some money for then. Mine is a stock Tama, 5,5" deep if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

I know pinstripe was very populare back in the days, did you guys use them aswell for your toms?

8" snares? Jeez, must weigh a ton. Well, that's something I'll have to save some money for then. Mine is a stock Tama, 5,5" deep if I'm not mistaken.

I've never used pins for snares. Almost always coated Ambassadors, Emperors or Evans equivalent.

Here... let's address this all at once...

The Remo PS3 is a single ply, ambassador weight head with a muffling ring underneath.

The Remo Emperor is a 2 ply head with no muffling.

To get an 80's metal / glam snare sound - I would go with a metal shelled snare at least 6.5 inches deep. Use either a Remo CS Reverse Dot or an Emporer tuned medium tight... BUT - keep in mind that alot of that 80's sound was a beefed up, compressed, and gated recorded tone... those drums probably sounded very different live.

I used to use a CS black dot or a pinstripe on the snare and pinstripes on the toms and later Evans hydraulics on the toms with no reso heads on any of the toms. The first thing was to get rid of the reso head! LOL

I've never used pins for snares. Almost always coated Ambassadors, Emperors or Evans equivalent.
Never used pins for 80's sound? Or just never used pins? Either way, I'm sure people used different heads then the most populare back in the 80's.

Here... let's address this all at once...

The Remo PS3 is a single ply, ambassador weight head with a muffling ring underneath.

The Remo Emperor is a 2 ply head with no muffling.

To get an 80's metal / glam snare sound - I would go with a metal shelled snare at least 6.5 inches deep. Use either a Remo CS Reverse Dot or an Emporer tuned medium tight... BUT - keep in mind that alot of that 80's sound was a beefed up, compressed, and gated recorded tone... those drums probably sounded very different live.
Ah, that clear things about my knowledge about Remo heads haha, thank you.

Metal snare, okey. What type? Coppar, brass etc? Yeah, 'course I'm aware about the effects people put on their drums in the 80's hehe..

I used to use a CS black dot or a pinstripe on the snare and pinstripes on the toms and later Evans hydraulics on the toms with no reso heads on any of the toms. The first thing was to get rid of the reso head! LOL
Might going for pinstripe for toms next time I'll buy batter heads. For now I'm going with emperors. Might try though to play around the kit with no reso heads on the toms. Seen alot of 70's/80's band doing that.

Do you know if the Vinny Appice (Dio) used reso heads on his toms for the Holy Diver album? I think they sound so different from other albums/bands...

Is their btw any difference in perfomance between Pinstripe clear and Pinstripe ebony? Ebony = Coated (but with black instead of white?).

Thank you again everyone for helping me out. :)

Back