Favorite Cymbal Owned and Favorite Dream Cymbal

21" K custom dark complex ride...this seems like something new to me. It's thin with a lot of spread but also quite stiff and dry. It has a lot of characteristics I look for in a ride

Wish list is 22" K custom dry light ride and a 20" pre aged dry light ride

Easy. My favorites were my Masterwork, Jazz series cymbals. Sold them like a fool.

My 22" Zildjian A ride. I bought it from a local music store that was going out of business 14 years ago. The owner was a little old lady (since deceased) whose son is a regionally popular guitarist. She informed me that he tried to play drums in the early 50's, but went with guitar instead. She had this cymbal sitting around in the back. It was near perfect, and I bought it for $110.

I am also partial to my 18" hollow logo (70's?) Zildjian Med A crash. I found it on eBay for a song because the seller didn't spell "Zildjian" correctly, and I was the only bidder. I think I picked it up for $50.

These are my favorite cymbals not only because they sound fantastic, but also because I only have $160 invested in them.

My favorite owned:

Meinl 20 Sand Ride

My dream cymbal(s):

Meinl 22 Jazz Medium Ride
Even though I am normally a Meinl guy, a Paiste 22 Formula 602 Modern Essential Ride!
..and a 24 Giant Beat!

I have the cymbals I want now, I have no desire for any others at this time.
I have my main set of cymbals ( reissue 602s) ; louder gig set ( Giant Beats) and my Jazz setup ( Istanbul Agop Sig and Bosphorus Master Vintage).

It took some time, but what I have covers any conceivable gig I would take.

I'm resurrecting this thread to brag on my new ride. My favorite cymbal owned has always been my 18" AA Medium Thin. However, it might have just been bumped to #2 by my new 21" AA Bash Ride (in natural finish). This thing is flat out great. I play primarily in church/corporate worship settings, and have been looking for that perfectly versatile Unicorn of a ride with a higher pitched bow and good crashride-ability. The bow on this thing is nice and clean, high-pitched, the bell is sweet, and the crash is low and, for lack of a better term, warm-sounding. Absolutely love it.

Dream cymbal to own: Right now, any one of HHX Groove Hats, HH Medium Hats, or Byzance Extra Dry Medium Hats.

My favorite cymbal would be a tie between two: a 17" Paiste Signature full crash and a 20" Paiste 2002 Black 20" ride... I have the setup that I want, so I don't really have a dream cymbal either, but I do want to add a Paiste Alpha 18" brilliant swiss crash to the lineup eventually!

21" K custom dark complex ride...this seems like something new to me. It's thin with a lot of spread but also quite stiff and dry. It has a lot of characteristics I look for in a ride

Wish list is 22" K custom dry light ride and a 20" pre aged dry light ride
Love my 21" K custom dark complex ride, too. The bell is heaven

Favorite Cymbal: a tie between my Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary 15" hi-hats and 23" Matt Chamberlain ride.

Dream Cymbal: any garage sale cymbal for $40 or less that turns out to be the Holy Grail for a collector offering me a blank check so that I can put both of my girls through college.

The favorite cymbal I own :
Sabian Vault Crash 16"

My dream cymbal :
20" or 21" diameter ride cymbal with a solid ping for rock, a beautiful crash sound, a steady bell, and a lot of subtility for jazz... A really irrealistic dream I suppose. I you meet it, please let me know :)

Favorite cymbal: 20" HHX Legacy ride

Dream: 22" Artisan Light Ride
22" K Light Ride
14.25" K Custom Hybrid Hats

Favorite cymbal: Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride (traditional finish). My 15" A. Sweet Hats are a close 2nd.

Dream cymbal: Zildjian 16" K Light Hats. And it would be nice if zildjian brought back the 22" K or A Crash/Ride.

Favorite Cymbal: Probably my 19" Paiste Dark Energy Crash by a hair. Second is my 21" Dark Full Ride.

Dream Cymbal: Probably an original 22" Formula 602 Ride. One of the guys at the local drum shop has one and it's incredible.

Breathing a little life back into this one...

22" Lauritsen Kontroversial 2300g. This cymbal is just money...you know that you really like a cymbal when you're a more creative, musical player when it's in front of you. Excellent, and ageing beautifully. www.cymbalutopia.com if you've never had the pleasure. Craig is excellent to deal with as well.

22" K Con MT Low - another great cymbal. Seems as though with the Cons you either get one that you really love, or come across others that you don't. I've had a 22" MT Low, 20" MT High and 20" MT Low, 18" Crash, and 14" Hats over the years... Hats are amazing (new style), 18" Crash and 22" Ride are as well. Others weren't terrible, but I can't dig the 20" Cons for riding...at least not the MT ones. Jack of all trades...master of none.

20" Johan VDS. Proud to own something by this great cymbal smith. A very sad loss.

22" Kerope. This is the new kid on the block, and it's my 'K Istanbul Intermediate Stamp'. One of those cymbals that you hear and think 'that's what a jazz cymbal is supposed to sound like!' Also have the 19" and a set of 15" hats, with a 20" on order :)

Dream Cymbal:

Not many left on the list, really. I've never heard a Spizz in person, so that would be great. Don't have an overwhelming desire to own any of the usual suspects (Old K, etc), but then again...when you hear something amazing...

Owned
18" Sabian Hand Hammered Rock Crash
Dream
24" Zildjian K Light Ride

Favorite cymbal: Paiste Dark Energy Mark1 Crash
Dream cymbal: Paiste Signature 20" Thin China

Back