Best online music stores for Canadian residents?

yammyfan

Hi all,

My local drum stores don't carry the kind of drum heads that I'd like to try. What are some of the best online stores for Canadian residents to use?

I assume that shipping costs and customer service are major determinants given that prices should be similar between outlets.

Thanks for your advice!

Try Dave's drum shop in Ottawa. He has a brick and mortar store, but also does online sales. If he doesn't have an item, odds are good he can get it.
It's worthwhile calling, as Dave is very easy going and knowledgeable.
Good luck !

I agree, Dave's drum shop is great. I ordered a used tom, and it arrived the next day. Wow! I also had good luck from Tom Lee music for a purchase a few years ago. Depends where you are a bit I think. My snooping around, I've found amazon.ca a bit out to lunch on a lot of prices. You could also check Cosmo Musicc Warehouse.

I totally forgot about Axe music. I ordered a cymbal from them a few years ago, and had no problems at all.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions.

I've shopped at Dave's many times and was there yesterday as a matter of fact. His store is five minutes away from my office. Dave is a straight shooter and a great source of advice.

I'm looking for Aquarian heads that neither Steve's nor Dave's nor Long and McQuade stock. I'll definitely check out some of the recommendations made here.

Cheers!

I've gotten good service from Long & McQuade in the past, but man, but I don't like giving them my business. $14 for a pair of Vic Firths(?), tried to get a replacement set of Ludwig 12-strand snare wires for my 5×15 Legacy drum and they wanted $30 up front, paid in full, to order them in. Crazy. I guess that's what happens when one retailer pretty much runs the show country-wide...

Ludwig had me return my Gold Sparkle Legacy kit when the shells delaminated to one of the two local stores here where I live and they turned around and sold them to some schmuck for a lot more than I paid for them in the first place. Greasy bastards. They passed them off as brand new A stock too. I took imaculate care of them, not one scratch, so I could see how they could pass them off as new if they put new heads on them, but c'mon...the freaking bass drum and floor tom shells were freaking delaminating! I played and gigged those drums for over a year before I returned them because it took Ludwig so long to fix the problem. I don't think I've bought anything from L&M since that all went down.

Sorry for derailing the topic (I think OP's question is resolved anyhow), but just wanted to give one more for Dave's shop. He was selling two Pearl Export 5-piece shell packs for $299 (Canadian dollars -- that's like 245 USD). He said they were brand new, but the packaging was damaged and Pearl couldn't sell them like that, hence he got them for a discounted price, and so he was selling them at a discount. Then he's like "I could sell them for more, but where's the fun in that?"

Both sets were gone within a day of posting on his site. I'll always drive the extra 15 kms to go to Dave's.

Last edited:
Back