Craigslist never ceases to amaze me....

greenstar323

For some odd reason I catch myself on Craigslist every now and then looking for people to jam with and came across this trinket of an ad:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/muc/5217149028.html

In case the link doesn't work it says:
"Heavy original rock band seeks drummer who plays any of these classic drum kit brands/cymbals with the style set up as seen in these photos." (goes on to list bands they like)

Then there are 4 pictures the classic Bonham setup. What the..?!

For fun I considered responding with:
1. A picture from the "Tom Angles" thread with a caption "Will this suffice?"
2. Sending a bogus pic similar to the ones shown and show up with my breakbeats kit
3. Tell them I can meet those requirements if and ONLY if the guitarist plays a Gibson Flying V.

Funny they didn't mention ability matters....

Hilarious and stupid ad eh?
Nice kits, but don't they care if a drummer can PLAY for your band? No mention of ability in the ad. Also 'heavy' is a term that is so broad, even in rock music.

I can appreciate a band wanting a certain aesthetic, but being brand specific is taking it a bit far. If they're that picky, I'm surprised they didn't specify the look / age / physique of the drummer!

I like when they say "must be reliable and have transportation." No, I'm only gonna show up when I feel like it, and I bicycle everywhere (when it isn't broken).

A lot of people regard the 1 up, 2 down set up as the epitome of a real rock drums set!

It does look cool, though.

I don't honestly find their ad dumb at all.

They don't just want a drummer who can play, they also want a certain vibe.

Nothing wrong with that IMHO. Better than posting a generic drummer wanted ad, getting 100 replies, and then having to turn down 99 drummers simply aren't the right fit.

I can appreciate a band wanting a certain aesthetic, but being brand specific is taking it a bit far. If they're that picky, I'm surprised they didn't specify the look / age / physique of the drummer!

I'm sure they'll do that with whoever shows up.

Nope - not the right look - sorry.

In my area, a large percentage of those types of ads have age specifications, rather than skills or ability.

A lot of people regard the 1 up, 2 down set up as the epitome of a real rock drums set!

It does look cool, though.

I traded in a (non-desirable brand) kit set up like that.

Ya - it looked cool, but it just didn't work for me at all.

I figure anybody who has a set like that has to be a great drummer, but that guitarist better have a Gibson Flying V guitar or else I'd walk.

I like when they say "must be reliable and have transportation." No, I'm only gonna show up when I feel like it, and I bicycle everywhere (when it isn't broken).

I guess I didn't appreciate there are some drummers out there with no transport - cabbing allover with drums, or wanting a kit to be there for them, or expecting rides to every rehearsal? I don't get that.

Ok f that band is going for a certain aesthetic, then what do you think the other instruments should be?
I'd say a sunburst Les Paul - Orange or Marshall stack and black Fender Precision with a tall 8 x 10 Ampeg.

I recall working in drum stores and people would come in "I'm auditioning for band, if I get in, I'm going to need buy a drum set..."

I recall last band I was in, we were looking for a guitar player, and people would reply to ad via email and say "yeah, just do a search and find my page..." like you can't just send me a link?

Plenty of flaky people out there.

The ad in the original post must be from someone who wants to start a tribute band. Either that, or he's a burglar with a shopping list.

My favourite ads are the ones that say "No Timewasters." Because I was really looking forward to wasting that person's time until they told me not to.

I am always amazed how underwhelmed I am of CL ads. But... I have sold several big ticket items on the list.

That said, if a tribute band was interested in paying strict attention to the music, I can understand why the equipment would have to be correct also. Sort of like re-enactors who dress up and gear up for the period they long to showcase.

The ad in the original post must be from someone who wants to start a tribute band. Either that, or he's a burglar with a shopping list.

My favourite ads are the ones that say "No Timewasters." Because I was really looking forward to wasting that person's time until they told me not to.

Ok, but looking at the kits they show, what "heavy" band used a Black Diamond Slingerland, a white Marine Pearl Ludwig, silver sparkle Gretsch or Red Sparkle Premier (maybe Blondie)?

Ok, but looking at the kits they show, what "heavy" band used a Black Diamond Slingerland, a white Marine Pearl Ludwig, silver sparkle Gretsch or Red Sparkle Premier (maybe Blondie)?

Devil's advocate, Bill Ward played a Ludwig 4-piece in the early years of Sabbath. :D

You are asking the wrong person. I'm completely clueless about these things. I don't even know what my own favourite drummers play. The ad makes no sense to me unless it's for a tribute act.

Bill Ward with Black Sabbath:
billward1.jpg

Ian Paice with Deep Purple:
ianpaice22.jpg

John Bonham with Led Zepplin
attachment.php

Back