Brian Downey

philo1

brian downey of thin lizzy is one of many drummers who arent givin the proper recognition for their skills!! and also he isn't on this site at all, when in true fact he should be!! some of the songs that showed his skill and i should advise that evry drummer should go and download/buy are emerald, the rocker, johny the fox meets jimmy the weed and a song for jimmy all by thin lizzy, what you waiting for?? go now........ leave....

any comments???

Re: brian downey

brian downey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brian downey of thin lizzy is one of many drummers who arent givin the proper recognition for their skills!! and also he isn't on this site at all, when in true fact he should be!! some of the songs that showed his skill and i should advise that evry drummer should go and download/buy are emerald, the rocker, johny the fox meets jimmy the weed and a song for jimmy all by thin lizzy, what you waiting for?? go now........ leave....

any comments???

Check with Bernard, as their is a wish list. That list has several artist's names that have not been on the site yet but are on the waiting list.

My brother plays guitar in a blues outfit called "The Mary Stokes Blues Band", and Brian Downey play with them for one of their gigs.

And yes, he does deserve to be on Drummerworld.

I made a wishlist request for Brian Downey as he wasn't even on it for while! Cheers to Bernhard for putting him on the wishlist. I can't understand why he is so under rated I think he is great. Songs like Emerald, Black Rose, Massacre etc. have really inventive and tricky drum parts. Also on live and dangerous the drums are the only part where no studio overdubbing was done and they are fantastic. Up there with some of the great seventies rock drummers IMO.

philo1 said:

any comments???

Brian Downey is an excellent drummer & a pioneer of power double kick drumming,{check out solo on lizzies live & dangerous albumn }. I've seen him do this live & it's just as good.

One Of Ireland's finest Drummers!!

Yes Ireland's 'Brian Downey' of legendary rockers "Thin Lizzy" is one of the most under-rated drummers of all time.Not only is his playing solid,tasteful and dynamic,this fella can swing like few rock drummers can.Talk about great grooves and fast hands,this is the man!!

Let's please see some credit given to this excellent musician,after all he influenced only about 50% of the drummers in the 70's and 80's in Great Britain alone!.

Hey all,
I love Thin Lizzy and am a big fan of Brian Downey. I love his fills and style.

Wat does everyone else think of him??

DrumGod said:
Hey all,
I love Thin Lizzy and am a big fan of Brian Downey. I love his fills and style.

Wat does everyone else think of him??

That guy is / was (is he still alive?) realy cool, I liked his fills and especialy in songs like "bad reputation" or "the rocker"...very fluid playing for a "rock" band

Brian Downey is who totally influenced me to play drums!his drumming is really nice and rocky...!I love "Emerlad"...Phillo was an absolute legend..and im really glad they finally got the statue up in commemoration of him...I grew up listening to Thin Lizzy...they were the greatest band to ever come out of Ireland...i mean U2 dont even compare...Bono??sheesh!!ill take Lynott anyday!!

haha for Downeys greatestness....teh drum solo on "Sha-La-La" on "live And Dangerous" by Thin Lizzy....its brilliant!its what made me wish of drumming for years!

One of the most criminally underrated rock drummers. Listen to live and dangerous and remind yourself of how solid yet fluid he was. (The drums are the only thing with no overdubs on the album). He wasn't even on the wishlist for some time until bernard kindly made it so at my request.

He's still alive and plays around Dublin occassionally, so I'm told. Think he played with some of the Lizzy boys at a concert in the Point in Dublin last summer for the unveiling of the Lynott statue.

da cheese walks said:
im really glad they finally got the statue up in commemoration of him...
How many pictures do i have of drunken nights and seeing the statue and standaing with the statue i think every one who is a lizzy fan has at least one pic of them pose with phil.

haha or playing the bass....!I think Phil deserved that statue years ago....they put it off for ages(this is the government giving permission like) because they were afraid to basically put up a memorial statue to a drug-addict......his mother was campaigning for years for it...

same thing that happened with Jimi Hendrix in Seattle...

Brian Downey is one of the best drummers to come out of ireland, believe it or not all e does now is play around dublin in various blues bands

Maybe I missed something but I did a search and nothing came up by the name of Brian Downey. He was the power house behind the great band Thin Lizzy. I must say that his style, his chops, his ideas and his all around playing is out of this world. For anyone out there who doesn't know his work check out some Lizzy's stuff. It seems that he is one of the most underrated drummers.

Have to agree - B.Downey is well desrving of a dedicated profile on this site. The "Live and Dangerous" double live LP ( remember those ? ) is still to this day in my personal top 5 recordings EVER. Downey is an absolute monster on this record.

Mr. Downey

Brian Downey is absolutely brilliant! my favorite drummer, he plays such solid and incredible grooves... its unbelievable. his fills are also very tasteful.

most important though: he was the heart, pumping the blood of Thin Lizzy through the fans of this great rockband (however weird that may sound).

Brian Downey is simply the best:D he rocks as noone else does, if you ask me:p does anyone know what he plays with (drums, cymbals, hardware etc.)

An exellent underrated drummer.

Back