Speed Cobra double pedal question

Jon B

Last year i bought a speed cobra double pedal, and this year i managed to grab a really nice kit with 2 bass drums. I would like to use both bass drums, simply because i like the feel of 2 single pedals a little more than i like the feel of a double. So does anyone know of a way to convert the speed cobra double into 2 singles?
Bonus points if you can tell me how to do it in a way that i can change from a double to a single easily
heres a thread i found on tama's forum: http://forum.tama.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=10160

I don't think it's possible to convert the double speedcobra into two single pedals, the slave pedal frame hasn't got the spring holder assembly mechanism.

I have a Tama Camco double pedal, and it is designed to be used either way and the slave pedal has a beater holder and the spring holder assembly mechanism, making a total of 3 spring holder mechanism and 3 beater holders.

Many new double pedals do not offer that option nowadays.

do you mean the part where the spring clips on? or where the threading that is used to tighten it is? on my speed cobras there is a spot for a spring assembly, all i would need there is the part up top that connects to the hex rod

If the location of the adjustement key on the slave pedal (see my image) can incorporate the whole spring assembly from the main pedal, I'll say it could be possible.

Just let me know if it does or not.

Attachments

• cobra1.jpg
    cobra1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5,183
Since uniin info, I think it's possible...

1. Remove the top spring assembly from the main pedal.

2. Remove the ball bearing covers on both end of the shaft (on my image the left cover is already removed).

3. Using the allen key side of the adjustement key, remove the bolt securing the ball bearing on the left hand side and remove them. (take care during this operation)

4. Remove the chain from the cam.

5. Unscrew the allen bolt which should be underneath the cam.

At this point, you should be able to slide the cam off the shaft.

Do the operations 2 to 5 on the slave pedal.

You should be able to slide the cam onto the shaft of the slave pedal.

Putting it back together should a simple reverse order.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• cobra2.jpg
    cobra2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 3,823
If i were to buy a third cam and vari pitch assembly, i would be able to instal that on the slave pedal and only have to move the beater and spring like axis, trick and other pedals, right? Or would that alter the feel too much to make it worth it?

Yes it should work, it would be exactly like the Tama Camco pedals, you'll only have to do points 2 to 5 from my previous post.

And, no, I don't think it would alter the feel of the primary pedal. (that's how it works on the Camco)

Back