Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: INTRODUCTIONS - Please use this thread to introduce yourself

how long been playing: 12 years
origin of user name: my drum company
top 5 drummers: Mike Portnoy, Abe Cunningham, Matt Greiner, Travis Orbin, Dane Brown
make of drumkit?: Disturbance Drums Maple / Bubinga / Padauk
make of cymbal?: Zildjian, Wuhan.
where do you practice?: Brisbane, in the garage!
are you in a band/s?: Yes
covers or originals?: Originals
what style of music?: Metal, Hardcore, Prog Rock.
favorite take out food?: Kebab!
country?: Aussie mate.
one really odd fact about yourself?: I just yawned... twice.
how did you start drumming?: I was hitting too many things on the table as a kid, so my parents bought me a kit at age 12. Plus I wanted to be in my friends band and it was either Drums or Bass.... I chose correctly...

Hi Guys!,
New to the forum, and to drumming, I stumbled across this website a while ago and it seems really good with a very active forum full of new and experienced drummers to chat to and share hints and tips with. I am teaching myself at the minute but hope to start professional tuition soon - there's only so much you can learn from a book and DVD's!
I have posted several videos on YouTube of my drum covers to chart my progression and get some feedback tips from the more experienced drummers out there. I'll post some on the relevant forum in due course.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

real name - Dan
age - 31
how long been playing - About 3 years
origin of user name - I am a Royal Air Force Weapons engineer - we are known in the British armed forces as "Plummers". I currently work on the Tornado Combat Aircraft hence "TornadoPlummer"!!
top 5 drummers - Chad Smith, Zach Hill, John Bonham, Jimmy Chamberlain and Dave Grohl.....and many more!
make of drumkit - Mapex Vx Series (fusion) in Black
make of cymbal - Zildjian (13" New Beat Hi-Hats", 17" A-Custom crash), Saluda (21" Mist-X Crash/Ride, 16" Earthworks Dark Rock), and a Dream (18" Bliss Crash).
where do you practice - In my spare room.
are you in a band/s - Nope.
covers or originals - I do drum covers that I post on YouTube for guys to comment on and so help me learn. One day when I feel i'm good enough i'll try to join a band and do some original stuff.
what style of music - Rock, Indie, Blues Rock, Hard Rock - anything really!
favourite take out food - Indian!!
country - The United Kingdom.
one really odd fact about yourself - dunno
how did you start drumming - My wife brought me a drumkit after I returned home from a previous tour of duty in Iraq!
[/B]

real name - Harry
age - 22
how long been playing - 10 years
origin of user name - Part of an album title I really like.
top 5 drummers - Benny Greb, JoJo Meyer, Will Calhoun, Jan Axel Blomberg and Martin "Marthus" Škaroupka.
make of drumkit - Tama acoustic, Roland electronic.
make of cymbal - Sabian and Zildjian.
where do you practice - In the 'study room' in my house.
are you in a band/s - Not officially, though the band I was in when I was 15 never 'broke up', so we get together during the holidays and do a gig usually.
covers or originals - Both really, nothing better than rocking out to your favourite track. Feels great to play something you wrote and are happy with though.
what style of music - Metal, electronic and funk.
favourite take out food - Pizza.
country - UK.
one really odd fact about yourself - I can blow bubbles out my eye...
how did you start drumming - Some twist of fate during junior school, got picked to have drum lessons with 3 others.

Pleased to be part of such a great community here, truly a wealth of knowledge and experience contained within this forum.

Hello Fellas, and ladies if there are any out there.

I am new to the thread, and I am excited about how much this thread is used. I have already seen tons of great info on here!

I have been playing drums for about 14 years and live in Alabama. My wife is pregnant and will be having her baby any day.

I also have a custom drum company called HD Custom Drums. Check us out when you have a chance. www.HDcustomdrums.comWe are fairly new on the market, but we are getting great feedback about out drums and we are working on building up our artist roster.

Top 5 Drummers: Benny Grebb for sure, Dave Weckle, JoJo, JR Robinson, Alfred Sergel (this guy is unknown, but is so sick)

I don't know how everyone else managed to have the same questions to answer, and I don't feel like manually typing them all out. So I will stop where I am.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you guys! Peace
187487_100002167306868_645475_n.jpg

Last edited:

real name - a weekend warrior
age - 48
how long been playing - 6 months after a break of some 25 years
origin of user name - complete lack of imagination!
top 5 drummers - Seems to change every time I visit the DW website!
make of drumkit - Yamaha.
make of cymbal - ratty at present, hoping to upgrade to mid level Sabian and Zildjian.
where do you practice - In basement.
are you in a band/s - No.
covers or originals - playing along to my ipod.
what style of music - Metal to funk, give most things a try.
favourite take out food - Chipotle
country - USA, from UK.
one really odd fact about yourself - played my one and only gig where The Jam, The Vapors and other New Wave luminaries played.
how did you start drumming - knitting needles on pillows, some would say there's been no improvement!

When I first started it seemed so easy (relatively), now starting up again it seems so tough, kit set up, layout, cymbal voices and all the other scientific aspects that keep popping up, all from something you just hit!

Happy to have found this community, nice to see plenty of respect and advice, and refreshingly no flaming, bashing and trolling.

real name? Eric
age? 21
how long been playing? About a year now solidly after a big big gap.
origin of user name? I'm a lord.
top 5 drummers? How can you have only 5?
make of drumkit? Don't wish to talk about it. In the process of buying a new one.
make of cymbal? Sounds good I will use it. I currently have Paiste and Sabians on the kit at the moment.
where do you practice? My house when learning a song and a rehearsal room with the band.
are you in a band/s? Indeed
covers or originals? Both. Main band is a cover band and the originals is just a mess around thing on a Jam hub.
what style of music? Rock and Glam.
favourite take out food? Chinese.
country? UK
one really odd fact about yourself? I am actually the reincarnation of Supermans second cousin.
how did you start drumming? When I was around 6-7 I came home and told my Dad I wanted to play guitar, he told me that no son of his was going to play that over hyped instrument and that he would teach me drums. And he did. Never looked back.

Hello all, first post here!

real name?
Scott

age?

how long been playing?
9 Years->Year Break->Getting back over the past few months :-D

origin of user name?
They're beautiful things.

top 5 drummers?
Changes Always... Billy Martin, Chris Hakius, Jon Fishman, Terry Bozzio, All the great people I've jammed with along the way that have inspired and humbled me.

make of drumkit?
-Premier Genista (not the new ones) Shallow 10&12, 16x16, 22x16. A blue wood-grain color. Reeeaaal sweet drums I must say.
-Main Snare's a Ludwig Acrolite 14x5. Looks like an 80s one.

make of cymbal?
-Meinl Byzance 14" Heavy Soundwave Hats. Funny thing, bought these for a metal project and ended up disliking them for that. However, with a lighter jazz stick they blend surprisingly well with my cymbals. Goes to show you can't judge a cymbal by it's intended target players.
-Dream Bliss 22" Ride. A teeeny bit brighter than other 22 Bliss rides. insanely music bell, raw yet refined crash, and an ocean of sticking sounds.
-A grimy old beater I'll be placing with something 19/20 this week

where do you practice?
Just got a practice space in Boston a few months ago, hence the return to drumming.

are you in a band/s?
Trying to play with as many people as I can and just work on myself right now.

what style of music?
Spacey, tight, loose, gloomy, tribal, uplifting, abrasive, gentle, heavy :p

favorite take out food?
Anything fresh. I'm a pescetarian, so sushi and other fish are big with me. Big fan of swordfish... I love simple "peasant food" made with love. Massive vegetable servings and a strong stout or ultra-hoppy ale.

country?
The ol' US of A. Of Sicilian and French-Canadian heritage.

one really odd fact about yourself?
Hypochondriac

how did you start drumming?
Like many kids, wanted to play rock music with my friends and everyone already played guitar or bass!

Hey, I'm new here!

What's up people? I'm new to this forum! I live in Minnesota, am 13 years old, and love to drum!

So, I guess I'll tell you a bit about me, and... well, drumming stuff. My current setup is a snare, hi-hat, cracked crash cymbal, kick drum, hi tom, and low tom. I have a mid tom, but I'm trying to get creative on a smaller kit, so I don't use it much. I also have an uncracked cymbal but I sort of like the feel/sound of the cracked cymbal. I'm not saying I never use my uncracked one though, I occasionally switch between them. I'm hoping to get a ride soon.

I'd say my biggest inspiration right now is Chris "Daddy" Dave. I really dig his style. Some other cats are Thomas Pridgen, Andrew McAuley, Chris Coleman, Mike Johnston, and any peeps out there that love meh instrument.

So, yeah that's all folks. Please, help introduce me to the fam. Peace out!

Re: Hey, I'm new here!

Welcome! You'll find everyone here helpful and fun. I'm pretty new here as well and I find these forums a great resource.

So are you self-taught or taking lessons? How did you get started and how long have you been playing?

Hello, Phodut

Welcome to the brotherhood, enjoy it as much as you can!

Show some pictures of your drum-kit.

Cheers,

@Ian: Thanks man! I will upload some pics soon.

@MaryO: I guess, I'm half self taught half erm... teacher taught?? I watch drumming on youtube a lot and get inspired.
Once every month or so a drummer named Myron Mclean will come down and give me a lesson (he has a youtube check it out: http://www.youtube.com/user/Myrondrums). I also have a channel, but I'm not as good in the videos as I am now and I in general tend to not drum as good under camera for some reason.
But, anyway here's meh channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePhodut

I have been only been playing on a real drumset for about a year, but I'd drum on paint cans and stuff before that.

So, yeah...

Oh...
Yeah!

Just in case you wanted to know I love odd time signatures!!!

Just in case you wanted to know I love odd time signatures!!!

Welcome to the forum.
Some advice: Get the basics down; hearing you play a dynamic-less 6/8 beat over and over again isn't going to impress anyone. Work on your technique, it's very loose at the moment. BUT if you polish what you have there, you'll clearly be doing some serious playing (after *serious* polishing, too, though).
And keep in mind odd-time signatures are the easiest, less creative way of sounding, well, odd; the great players all make odd time flow, and regular time challenge the listener.
Calm down on the tempo, take it slow and give it color, dynamics, and feel.

Fox.

@Fox: I'm confused. I just stated I loved odd time signatures. What exactly are you critiquing me on?

Welcome to Drummerworld .....​
@Fox: I'm confused. I just stated I loved odd time signatures. What exactly are you critiquing me on?
Possibly your video ... just a guess.....​

Welcome to the forum.

Stay encouraged and keep at it. All that Color, Dynamics, groove and tempo stuff will come just keep practicing and don't ever quit playing the drums.

Work on your technique, it's very loose at the moment.
Fox.
Looking back on my video, I notice it is quite loose. I guess I don't really notice those things while I'm playing.
How would you suggest I improve it?
BTW, that video was mainly for laughs. My ipod actually was working and I was playing to a song.

@Nodiggie: Thanks, man. I don't intend to quit any time soon. : )

Looking back on my video, I notice it is quite loose. I guess I don't really notice those things while I'm playing.
How would you suggest I improve it?

As I mentioned, take it down a notch. Go as slow as you feel it really under control so you don't have to focus so much on the actual drumming, and can hear what you're playing with some perspective.
Getting lessons once a week, specially having someone more experienced listen and give feedback on your playing in real time will really help.

Fox.

Getting lessons once a week, specially having someone more experienced listen and give feedback on your playing in real time will really help.
Fox.
Yeah, it would only I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere haha...
So, just go slower, eh? I can do that. But, the tempo of the song was fast, it's not like I could change that.
Anyway, I'm still not quite sure what you mean by not focus so much on the actual drumming. Do you mean just to play it without really thinking hard about it? Because, if that's the case, I usually think about it too much when I'm filming, and I know that. Are you saying to just go with it? I usually worry too much about making mistakes under camera, so yeah...

Yeah, it would only I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere haha...
So, just go slower, eh? I can do that. But, the tempo of the song was fast, it's not like I could change that.
Anyway, I'm still not quite sure what you mean by not focus so much on the actual drumming. Do you mean just to play it without really thinking hard about it? Because, if that's the case, I usually think about it too much when I'm filming, and I know that. Are you saying to just go with it? I usually worry too much about making mistakes under camera, so yeah...

No, that's not what I meant.
What you have to do is taking it at a speed where you're in absolute control, and you don't have to be directing your efforts to being able to physically play this thing and get the concept right, a tempo where it flows without effort, so you can focus on actually listening to what you're doing and improving how it feels and how tight it is, as opposed to being 100% focused on barely playing this beat at that speed.

Fox.

No, that's not what I meant.
What you have to do is taking it at a speed where you're in absolute control, and you don't have to be directing your efforts to being able to physically play this thing and get the concept right, a tempo where it flows without effort, so you can focus on actually listening to what you're doing and improving how it feels and how tight it is, as opposed to being 100% focused on barely playing this beat at that speed.

Fox.

I dunno, to me it seemed like hewas in control. Yeah he was holding his sticks looser than most people probably do, but so what. If it works for him, and feels great for him why would he change?

That's a neat concept with the broken cymbal, works great for "white noise". have you ever thought about putting a rivet in it?

So you said you're into odd time signatures... have you ever heard of Dream Theater?

Great drumming and welcome to the forum!

-Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back