i am not like most of you!

Thanks Wy, but I've never been polite ... I'm a flake too. However, I've worked through most of my crap and that probably comes across to you as polite. It isn't, actually, it's just mellowness that comes from years of trying seeing others' points of view.

Dunno what goes between you and Wy but I have found you to be spirited, open minded, helpful and supportive to this total stranger. Thats not to be overlooked Missy. Men born in the city or in the bush are mostly the same, much as some dont like to think so. Thats why we like women..for the most part.

Dunno what goes between you and Wy but I have found you to be spirited, open minded, helpful and supportive to this total stranger. Thats not to be overlooked Missy. Men born in the city or in the bush are mostly the same, much as some dont like to think so. Thats why we like women..for the most part.

Thanks Jim :) Nothing naughty has transpired between Wy and me!

And he really is a beast of a drummer. I've heard his playing, jammed with him, and been awed by what he does.

Wy, that reminds me ... you're cool enough to have jammed with a dag like me in non-lesson time - someone who isn't in the same ball park. Yet you talk like a snob about pros and amateurs. You're way cooler in real life than you come across on the forum ...

Thanks Jim :) Nothing naughty has transpired between Wy and me!

And he really is a beast of a drummer. I've heard his playing, jammed with him, and been awed by what he does.

Wy, that reminds me ... you're cool enough to have jammed with a dag like me in non-lesson time - someone who isn't in the same ball park. Yet you talk like a snob about pros and amateurs. You're way cooler in real life than you come across on the forum ...

Well it all comes back to my problems with communicating. I think there is a real problem. I simply don't know what it is. And those were not my words. This man who runs a drum company is amazing. Truly inspiring. Remember that guy you met? Always asking me questions, bugging me about his drumming? I told him not to contact me again because I was constantly worried I would hurt his feelings.

I don't know where I am. I only know I can teach.

Thing is, Wy, no one else was helping out and I knew I could transcribe the patterns on a drum machine, which I felt would be helpful for the guy ... and it was. As a pro, you could have been more helpful than just telling me to "bugger off".

Ok, I had things to say apart from "yes oh guru". So shoot me (oh, I forgot, you did).

You told us that Frank Sinatra's story was a pivotal event in regard to the importance of vocals in music - very enlightening, as is often the case when you're not shooting people. However, in opera, the castrati and, later, prima donnas were celebrated way before Frank was born. Why??

There's an obvious psychological component to the popularity of vocals ... and I have a bunch of A levels in psychology. Is that worth nothing? A baby in the womb is exposed to the resonance of its mother's voice from the moment it develops functional ears, at about 16 weeks (proto ears from 3 weeks). Yet scat singing isn't as popular as musical storytelling,
stories that resonate with our lives. That's another aspect again ...

If the discussion only covered music theory or history then, yes, you earned it. However, that particular topic was very broad with a sizeable extramusical component.

I have sat at the feet of the guru as he passed on his knowledge to me, and accepted that knowledge unquestioningly 99% of the time. Forgive me - a mere unworthy amateur - if I dare to have some thoughts of my own 1% of the time ...

In that instance I told how I mixed wine and pain killers and said sorry.

As for the book? Just because nobody had answered yet does not mean someone with no knowledge of the book should. I mastered all the Garibaldi books years ago. I feel qualified to speak about them. I do not answer questions about books I do not know. Even the Wilcoxin book thjat I know was at the school when a recent question was asked. I knew the answer but as the book was not in my hands to make sure, I did not answer. And I am a professional drummer.

I think of this situation thusly. If a question is asked of 4th degree black belts and a yellow belt beginner answers, does the yellow belt really expect respect from the 4th dans? The 4th dans will regard the yellow belt as arrogant and ignorant and will pore nothing but scorn and ridicule on this upstart.

I agree with the 4th dans. I am a 4th dan!

However, this is not to derail this insanely personal thread. I am basically sorry for my idiocy but there seems nothing I can do. Or know how to do to correct it.

You know what, forget all this crap. My life is awesome. 4 weeks ago I had a 4 year old begin lessons. He is like a 4 year old Keith Moon. I love what I do. I am rude. I am also helpful. And I cannot wait to teach that 4 year old again. :)

wy - just a few more things...you might want to start a blog (blogger.com, wordpress.com) to get your book ideas out or as an online test bed for chapters ? i find your life story unique & damned interesting. i also identify w/ the fighting arts & basically fighting thru life from time to time. i just lost someone close to me a month ago & feel very mortal suddenly. recently i want to make my life complete, make it "count" & the best it can be for my family before i am dead & gone. sounds like you have lived a full & interesting life already & have your head on straight. for me, the things that matter most are the stuff i am passionate about (drums, music!!!), family & friends. </ steps off soapbox>

However, this is not to derail this insanely personal thread. I am basically sorry for my idiocy but there seems nothing I can do. Or know how to do to correct it.

Just say, "Thank you for listening(reading)" and move on.

wy - just a few more things...you might want to start a blog (blogger.com, wordpress.com) to get your book ideas out or as an online test bed for chapters ? >

Just what the world needs, more blogging...Like many have said the story is sad but has already been told too many times.

I bet alot of us have similar stories, I know I do but I have heard similar and worse stories so whats the point?

In that instance I told how I mixed wine and pain killers and said sorry.

As for the book? Just because nobody had answered yet does not mean someone with no knowledge of the book should. I mastered all the Garibaldi books years ago. I feel qualified to speak about them. I do not answer questions about books I do not know. Even the Wilcoxin book thjat I know was at the school when a recent question was asked. I knew the answer but as the book was not in my hands to make sure, I did not answer. And I am a professional drummer.

I think of this situation thusly. If a question is asked of 4th degree black belts and a yellow belt beginner answers, does the yellow belt really expect respect from the 4th dans? The 4th dans will regard the yellow belt as arrogant and ignorant and will pore nothing but scorn and ridicule on this upstart.

I agree with the 4th dans. I am a 4th dan!

Not the first time you've flamed me, Wy. Seems to be a pattern - pain, alcohol, flame. I appreciated the first couple of apologies but when it keeps happening it makes me think of Mum's old saying - in vino veritas ... another of her old gems that I remember is "this too shall pass" ...

I had no intention of talking about the Garibaldi book or the physical coordination skills required. You don't need to know a book to take a pattern from a screenshot and program it into a drum machine. Hearing how something is played is useful, and that was the case.

And everyone deserves basic human respect if they give basic human respect, irregardless of their so-called rank in the world. It's called being human, showing empathy for your fellow humans (this also applies to those who consider themselves to be superior). Anyone who pours scorn on another who they perceive as inferior is putting their craft above their basic humanity.

Last edited:
wy, I have been following this thread.
You are a lot like me.

You let pent up anger and rage build up within yourself until you explode in a fit of rage.

I have learned how to control my rage.
Well, Almost!
Mt point is this,
There will always be this rage inside of you and I. People like you and I can't escape it.
It is just there!

You have to learn how to deal with it and find a level of peace as I have.
I can't explain much further than this on this public forum.
Although I would like to.

Go back to your Martial Arts roots.
Look for the peace that resides within yourself.
I have!
I don't want to go into an explanation of my personal life here. So I can't say anymore.
You have to find your own peace.

...Wy. Seems to be a pattern - pain, alcohol, flame.

Indeed. If you wanna start a thread, stay away from the bottle.​
I you wanna "embrace" the bottle, stay off the computer.​

Back