The Best Heads

bevanvu

hi guys,

im looking to buy some new heads for my toms. at the moment i've got Aquarian Performance II's on, which i believe are more suited to playing metal (what i used to play). However, i've had the skins for quite some time, and they're pretty knackered now. With my current band i play more rock and alternative, so what heads would you recommend?

I've been looking at getting some Remo Coated Emporer's. what do you reckon?

the tom sizes are 10 12 and 16, and they're wood shells.

Tom Bevan
bevanvu

They will do the job and some. RCE's are widely used for rock/alternative.
Match em up with clear ambassador's for reso and you have a nice combination.

If you are switching from Aquarian to Remo you may be surprised at how short they last compared to your Aquarians. In my experience, they last MUCH longer and sound better. I switched from Remo to Aquarian a few years ago and couldn't be more pleased. Their customer service is top-notch too.
If you're looking at 2-ply heads, try the Response 2 or Super 2s.

I too play rock/alternative another brand you may want to check out is ATTACK. I recently put some Terry Bozzio sig series snare drum pack on my snare. My snare never sounded so good. Mind you the snare is nothing special it's the one that came with my Mapex Mars series kit about 7 or 8 years ago. But I am very impressed with the sound and quality of these heads. I had a sales rep that swore Attacks coating last longer than anyone else's. After about 4 months of semi daily playing I cannot get over how well the coating has held up. I do believe that guy may have just been right. T

Gotta love the EC2's, don't think I will go any other route again. I've tried Remo and Attack as well, but Evans heads just seem to last longer and have a better sound for what I'm looking for. I do play heavier music, but I do on ocasion use my kit for church gigs and even with Promark "hot-rods" I get a nice full sound out of them.

I too play rock/alternative another brand you may want to check out is ATTACK. I recently put some Terry Bozzio sig series snare drum pack on my snare. My snare never sounded so good. Mind you the snare is nothing special it's the one that came with my Mapex Mars series kit about 7 or 8 years ago. But I am very impressed with the sound and quality of these heads. I had a sales rep that swore Attacks coating last longer than anyone else's. After about 4 months of semi daily playing I cannot get over how well the coating has held up. I do believe that guy may have just been right. T

i've used nothing but ATTACK heads exclusively since 1992. i love 'em. the tone is there and they are extremely durable and hold their tone. plus the coating on them is the best of any coated head i've tried.

regular coated ATTACK series heads on the toms, clear ATTACK on the kick and usually a coated Bozzio head on the snare.

Back