international stage fright (a new thing)

mcbike

Silver Member
So I'm usually the last guy to get stage fright or anxiety before taking the stage, and I've been playing on stages for over 15 years now. Before that I was a dancer too so I usually have no problems getting up on the stage.

However in a little less than a month I'm doing an international tour, my first time playing outside the country. It's really not a whole lot to worry about it's just a week in ireland with 5 shows. Recently I've been sweating alot of the unknowns like worrying about the equipment (I'm basically only bringing sticks, everything else is being rented), the idea of playing in venues I've never seen before and have no idea what it's going to be like. I have toured plenty of times before and been in that situation, so I really have no reason to worry about it, and the equipment is all going to be top notch stuff from a professional cartage company. All the clubs have good gear too so I know the sound shouldn't be a problem either.

I'm starting to feel like the reason I'm worried about the little things is becuase ultimatley I'm afraid of audience reactions. Up until know I've always played in the states and I know how to deliver to that audience, and I'm starting to worry that things will be different over there. I just don't know how people react over there, the only experiences I know about are a few concert flicks like AC/DC live at castle donnington and stuff of UK audiences. I feel like the irish audience will be alot more discerning and critical just because of the quality of the bands from over there. In america I fell like its so much easier to entertain the crowds becuase there is a lowest common demoninator and when you hit that thread in americans they respond well.

I know I'm totally lucky to even be going on tour in ireland, and the trip is going to be a blast, but I'm just starting to sweat it and it's strange for me becuase for the first time in my life I'm feeling some apprehension and stage fright.

Sounds like a great opportunity to me with some of the major stress causing elements taken care of and out of the mix {transporting gear in airports, playing on poor quality backline gear etc...etc.....}

Once you start playing I suspect you'll enjoy the ride and the "other" concerns at present will be a far distant memory.

Enjoy!

McBike, it's Ireland. Much of the audience will be somewhat inebriated, won't they? :)

Good luck - I'm sure you'll have a great time. Maybe chat with DW member, Jer? He recently returned from a tour of New Zealand and had a whale of a time.

Wear a hat with the logo of an Irish beer on it and you will do fine!
Seriously, I've been to Ireland. My wife's sister lives in Limerick. The Irish are a friendly fun loving lot! They have an interesting sense of humor also. They also like us Yanks. (God Knows Why!) LOL!
You'll not have any problems so just chill and have fun.

One of my favorite parts about my tour of NZ was that I met (and played for) not just the Kiwi's, but a large number of international tourists. I've come to the conclusion that no matter where you go on this earth, people enjoy music and having a good time. They also like drinking a lot too. Especially the Irish.

Having done as much playing at home as I have, yes I've built an expectation as to what crowds can be like and was too a little weary of how people on the other side of the world would react, after a few songs, people were dancing and any worries I had were lost in the great time I was sharing with random global strangers.

Sounds like a great opportunity for you, I reckon anytime your music takes you somewhere new is a great opportunity! Enjoy! Have fun! Keep your nose clean and always wear a rubber.

thanks everybody for the kind words. I'm starting to feel better about this. I've been to ireland before just never to play, I'm sure we will go over well, and if not oh well I got a free trip to ireland out of it, so I can't complain.

don't worry too much about playing around Ireland, its just like any where else. I've always thought the American standard of live (local) bands was higher! You won't get boo'd or bottled, everyone will either be drinking and watching you, or drinking and talking with their mates ;)

Where abouts are you playing?

27/3 fibber magee's dublin
28/3 purty kitchen monkstown, dublin
29/3 killarney international hotel killarney
30/3 the western hotel - claremorris
31/3 the kings head - galway
1/4 twister vicks - waterford

Excuse the slow guy here, but I just hit your myspace - man, you've got nothing to be worried about, you guys are going to melt faces over there.

Will you get to spend anytime there outside of the gigs, or is it kinda an in-play-out kinda deal?

Shame your not playing limerick.But as the other guys have said your going to be fine.Irish people love music and of course they like getting drunk and going wild(not me i dont drink).Just ensure ya give them a good time and they will treat ya right.Good luck.

We were supposed to play limerick on the thursday but we got that gig in waterford instead. Supposedly that thursday night is going to be killer because friday is GOOD FRIDAY and everything is closed so it will basically be like a friday night.

I don't know how much free time we will have, probably plenty during the day it's going to be a breeze compared to what we do in texas. We usually play 4 hour shows till 2 in the morning but most of these gigs are 45 minute sets or 2 hours at the most. We aren't staying extra we are basically packing in as many shows as we can in a week. I just hope we do good and get asked back I would love to make it a regular thing we can do every year.

We were supposed to play limerick on the thursday but we got that gig in waterford instead. Supposedly that thursday night is going to be killer because friday is GOOD FRIDAY and everything is closed so it will basically be like a friday night.

I don't know how much free time we will have, probably plenty during the day it's going to be a breeze compared to what we do in texas. We usually play 4 hour shows till 2 in the morning but most of these gigs are 45 minute sets or 2 hours at the most. We aren't staying extra we are basically packing in as many shows as we can in a week. I just hope we do good and get asked back I would love to make it a regular thing we can do every year.
I've seen your stuff too, and I assure you, you'll go down very well. Because you're playing material with an Irish lilt, you might get the odd purist being critical but the majority of punters will be honoured an overseas act values music of Irish origin. You're going to blast it! Pity you're not taking a little step into the UK. I'd sure travel to see you guys. Good luck, but I doubt you'll need it.

Back