Green Glass DW

Well, you know, I also play jazz gigs on this kit, so any larger than 28 and I... ;)

Actually the bass drum is the largest drum that can fit in my car. The whole thing actually fits very easily in my car which also fits comfortably in a compact parking space. :)

Mike: you want a 28. Trust me. Huge low end - enough bass to be anatomically hazardous. I am glad I went with the 14 vs 20 depth though.

What wasn't pictured but was part of the order:
9x12, 11x14 tom, 14x18 floor, 18x22 (because I do live in the real world) and 8x28.

Basically I get three configs that way:
28-13-16 or 28-14-18 (the biggest bop kit ever)
22-13-16
18-12-14 (using a floor tom conversion kit).

wow, you should like put them together and take a huge pic or something.

Mike: you want a 28. Trust me. Huge low end - enough bass to be anatomically hazardous. I am glad I went with the 14 vs 20 depth though.

Could you imagine a 28x20 kick drum? You'd need a flatbed truck and a team of pallbearers to haul it around.

Could you imagine a 28x20 kick drum? You'd need a flatbed truck and a team of pallbearers to haul it around.

What would you think of a 28x28 bass drum, with a 16x16 rack, 20x20 floor, a DW ballad snare, 30" ride, 24" and 26" crashes, and of course 20" hats.

That would be a perfect bob kit, isn't it??

Last edited:
Feeling a little....inadequate, Mikey? ;)

Very LOL

Hopefully this year!!!!

Hey Vin, how is your home made snare coming along???

Trying to figure out if I should attempt one myself!!!!

Mike

I love Green Sparkle anything, but when they're DW drums - now that's special !

Beautiful man - just beautiful...

Zambizzi! You owe me a cup of coffee bro!! I just spit it all over my screen!! That MAILBOX comment is priceless!!!!!!! LOL :)

Chonson, I DO NOT like green sparkle, but ....WOW! THAT'S SMOKIN! I think I like it because of the way you have it set up, and the cymbals....FINALLY someone gets it,....BIG BASS = BIG RIDE, ON A BOOM....OVER the bass!!! :)

Nice job!!

Also, ....nice job on ordering a bunch of drums too!! BY THE WAY.....are those just standard Collectors series, or did you VLT or X Shell anything ?!?

Chonson, I DO NOT like green sparkle, but ....WOW! THAT'S SMOKIN! I think I like it because of the way you have it set up, and the cymbals....FINALLY someone gets it,....BIG BASS = BIG RIDE, ON A BOOM....OVER the bass!!! :)

Also, ....nice job on ordering a bunch of drums too!! BY THE WAY.....are those just standard Collectors series, or did you VLT or X Shell anything ?!?

Thanks for the comments - green sparkle is actually my favorite and to see it turn out as well as it did, that's been even better. The 24" - that cymbal has been my go-to since I got it. It's heavy enough to be a rock ride if you place your hits closer to the bell, but it can wash out and be more Keith Moon... and it makes a great (big) crash. :) Giant Beats are killer.

Drumshells are actually stock DW configurations. What that means is that the 12 & 13 are standard horizontal ply shells; the 14 16 18 22 are in the Built in Bottom config (inner ply only is vertical; standard on 14" and deeper); the 28 seems to be a standard shell as well. No RSE treatment on any drums.

It would seem like the 12 & 13 would be oddballs, but it all works together very nicely. All I know: I'd do it again and I wouldn't change a thing.

(However, the idea of a short stack x-shell or vlx kit is interesting.)

Really nice kit Chonson!

I put wheels on my Enduro case when I used the 20x28.

Yes, Mike needs a 28" bass drum, I know he has it in him...I may even have a spare drum head for him, & if that's not some incentive I don't know what is hahaha!.

I keep thinking I want to pull the 28 out again, but man, I just don't want to haul it around anymore.
Maybe the 16x28....they are getting lonely sitting in the cases....

Seriously, a 28 is a really fun drum to play. Very comfortable and satisfying.
I like both the 16 & 20" deep 28's, but I have a feeling a 14x28 would be pretty dang cool too.

Enjoy your kit & those Giant Beats Chonson!!

Back