Travis Barker

Re: How can I make my TOM heads sound like Travis Barker's?

why would you just want to copy someone elses tuning? i would try to find my own style...

~tamadrummer~ said:
why would you just want to copy someone elses tuning? i would try to find my own style...

i agree....wuts with teens these days copying travis barker down to the finest detail....find your own set up that you feel comfortable with, with your own tuning, own drum sizes ect....like its good to admire a drummer but going to the extreme to find bass heads with the same exact mic holes lined with the same metal is ridiculious....be yourself....youll find if u surround yourself with good drumming it will rub off on you and you will become more innovative instead of trying to copy other drummers ideas all the time....its one thing to practice a drummers certain fill or song but to copy a drummer (especially as travis barker) down to their same exact bass head is a little too far....imo i think too many teens idolize travis barker and they can be getting better inspiration from greater drummers such as neil peart, buddy rich, steve gadd, bonham, ian paice, and keith moon.....imo travis barker isnt even half as much innovative/skilled as those drummers.....dont get me wrong barker is a great drummer and of course you can like his drumming but i think drumming wise...to study a drummers work like bonhams or gadd's will get you farther and faster as skill wise

Re: Thought Travis was gonna break the record

Well, maybe he couldnt beat it, so never entered

Or maybe he doesnt want to focus on that, maybe too busy with his other stuff, who knows

I think that the top WFD guys are genetic freaks. They may have more white fibers than the rest of us or something. Yes, technique will take you anywhere you want to go but technique COMBINED with superior genetics will take you farther.

To make a simple analogy: Anyone can improve their physical condition thru diet/exercise but that doesn't mean that anyone could be the next Schwarzenegger (or the next Mike Mangini)

As far as Travis goes. He's a very good drummer in a genre full of second-rate drummers so all of the little fans he has think he's amazing. He wouldn't dare tarnish that rep by trying to break 1,000.

T.Underhill said:
When he logs in later maybe he can shed some light on the subject.

Bro, you cracked me up with that one!

i happen to love his groove "killer" style.. to me it adds to the songs and it dosnt kill it, but we are all entitled to our own opinions... youd probably hate my style of playing cuz im influenced alot by travsibarker and like stewart copeland. and that ornimental type of accented playing. i also put loads of rolls everywhere haha..

the.tree said:
ehhh, i disagree the offspring drummers not as good, but i dont think chad smith is as good as travis what? Chad has nothing special really. And nutha what songs have u covered from him you got any videos?

Chad is INCREDIBLE... Ssh Man.

This isn't a slam travis thread this poor guy wants some help and you guys put him down. What i would say is if you really want his sound, get his heads and play around with them. I think he uses remo coated emperors with an emporer-x- snare head. As for the bass head, you'll have to search ocdc bass heads.

i would stay away from the emperors i can get mine in tune!

the.tree said:
This isn't a slam travis thread this poor guy wants some help and you guys put him down. What i would say is if you really want his sound, get his heads and play around with them. I think he uses remo coated emperors with an emporer-x- snare head. As for the bass head, you'll have to search ocdc bass heads.

im not slamming him...he was actually my favorite drummer at one time but im just saying imo, studying more skilfull drums will get you farther.

Travis Barker is better than your average pop-punk drummer, correct? If not tell me who is better ( I really feel Tre Cool does not measure up). Travis is better than most of the drummers in his genre; that is really where I feel his skill ends. He may be skilled at rudiments and marching, but he plays neither one of those as a profession, nor is he the best at both.

Roger Ebert has a style of rating movies; he rates them through stars. For example, a movie he loves will receive 4 out of 4 stars; a movie he hates will receive 1 (maybe 0) out of 4. However, he compares movies based on their genre. For example, he gave Batman Begins 4 out of 4 stars; he also gave Schindler's List 4 out of 4 stars. He does not, however, mean that both films are equally good; he simply means, that, in comparison to other superhero films, Batman Begins is probably his favorite. In terms of historical dramas, he feels Schindler's list is his favorite. Ebert does not mean that Batman Begins and Schindler's List are equal in terms of quality (though some people may).

Roger says: "The star rating system is relative, not absolute. When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then [The United States of] Leland clocks in at about two."

Same goes for Travis Barker; In comparison to Tre Cool, Travis is about a 4, Tre is about a 3, and Chuck Comeau is about a 2. While one can compare Buddy Rich, 4, to Chick Webb, 3.5, one cannot compare Rich to Barker.

- Marc

i agree, i dont compare rich and barker together, but i agree he is on a higher skill lever than tre cool. tree is a good drummer for green day, i just dont see is overwhelming skill...as far as my impression of barker i just love his busy drumming--its fun to play and watch.. his rudiments incorperated with his grooves is awesome to me.. some people hate it but i love it.

mattsmith said:
I remember this. I'm pretty sure it was said. But you know, alot of times these guys have publicity people who say junk the guys never really said themselves, like how he had gotten up to 1216 on his drumometer. You know thats crazy. But the publicity guy probably thought this was no big deal thinkin' nobody would follow up.

Travis Barker did go to a WFD last year but didn't compete. He had to see then how fast it really is.

Genetic freaks? That's hilarious.

dose any one have tape of travis saying that? i dobut he did, probably was what you mentioned people publicly saying stuff to bring hype up... i doubt travis would claim he could compete. i love his style and all, but i doubt (you never know-he could be at his house laughing hitting 1300! just kidden) he would say he could set a new world record..

I think Travis is good, but limits himself in some of his pop punk bands. But then again, there's no need for flashy, crazy drumming everywhere in those songs. I'd love to see him in more interesting bands. Blink 182 gives him a bad image, I think, in drumming. I almost liked him better in Box Car Racer, but they were both pretty lame. Overall music wise. I saw the videos of him on this site though, really cool.

Back