Ludwig Speed King

Rabbit Foot

Hey y'all, well i currently in the market for a new pedal. The SP makes the most sense in design to me so i will probably go with it, but id like to know some pros/cons of it. Id also like to know if i should get a vintage or a new one, and if vintage are there any recommended SP Dealers?(should i get a vintage pedal that is refurbished?)

Ive read a bit of people saying vintage is better, is this true or just rumors? If its true what makes it better, im very curious.

Ik like 99% of you will say go play one, or does it feel good, one problem , no one store with in 50 mile radius has SP's.They are all Dw dealers.

I do believe these pedals hold their value? ( vintage )

EDIT: wood or cloth beaters? (is it even cloth? lol)

I bought two vintage mid 60's pedals and had to restore them. The grease on the springs had hardened, and it needed cleaning. I took them all apart and cleaned them, & put in new grease. I got two beaters, there was a solid felt beater, and a lamb's wool beater. I didn't get a wood beater. I've tried the new ones in a store near me, they were right next to Pearl Demon Drives! The new SK's feel better made than the vintage pedals, more of a solid feel, and they look more modern with with their dark color. I didn't get to sit down and try them, I did it standing, but they felt real similar. I don't know which is better, new or vintage. FYI, moving to my left, and playing the Demon Drives, I don't think they are worth their price tag, but they do have more features, and a more refined precis, machined feel. SK's are probably the cheapest direct drive option there. Unless you don't care much about what your pedal is, you probably should try them out, because any direct drive feels different to chain, not necessarily superior, but it's certainly another option.

Last edited:
I bought two vintage mid 60's pedals and had to restore them. The grease on the springs had hardened, and it needed cleaning. I took them all apart and cleaned them, & put in new grease. I got two beaters, there was a solid felt beater, and a lamb's wool beater. I didn't get a wood beater. I've tried the new ones in a store near me, they were right next to Pearl Demon Drives! The new SK's feel better made than the vintage pedals, more of a solid feel, and they look more modern with with their dark color. I didn't get to sit down and try them, I did it standing, but they felt real similar. I don't know which is better, new or vintage. FYI, moving to my left, and playing the Demon Drives, I don't think they are worth their price tag, but they do have more features, and a more refined precis, machined feel. SK's are probably the cheapest direct drive option there. Unless you don't care much about what your pedal is, you probably should try them out, because any direct drive feels different to chain, not necessarily superior, but it's certainly another option.

Thx for the Info, Ive been dying to get a direct drive pedal / compression springs pedal, I think it will be a good learning experience.

I have a Ghost that I've had for 25 or so years. It's never given me a problem and I like it a lot. It's easily collapsable for storage.

The SP makes the most sense in design to me so i will probably go with it, but id like to know some pros/cons of it. Id also like to know if i should get a vintage or a new one.......
Pedals are one of those things, that all work, some better than others. If you can't get your foot on a Speed King, but you want one real bad ...... simple .... go buy one. If money's tight, buy used, not new. You'll always be able to get your money back (or most - less shipping) on a used Speed King. There always seems to be demand for them.​
If, on the other hand, money ain't so tight, I'd still buy a used one. And if you really, really, really like it, them buy a new one.​

Ive read a bit of people saying vintage is better, is this true or just rumors? If its true what makes it better, im very curious.

If you owned a "vintage" SK, and a new one, then you can decide if there's a difference, or not. My point of view, is just that. My view. Yours may agree, or differ. There's no right, or wrong. Some people say the WFL feels "different" from the Luddies. Some say the 60's pedals are better that the 70's.​

wood or cloth beaters? (is it even cloth? lol)

I own about 8 different ones, right now. The easiest way (and quickest) to change the sound of your kick, is to swap out the beater. Felt to plastic to wood to fluffy wool. My favorite (right now) is the Vater VB.​
The main pedal I use ... a Yamaha Direct Drive.​

Attachments

• 135-3599_IMG.JPG
    135-3599_IMG.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,548
  • 135-3598_IMG.JPG
    135-3598_IMG.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2,564
Pedals are one of those things, that all work, some better than others. If you can't get your foot on a Speed King, but you want one real bad ...... simple .... go buy one. If money's tight, buy used, not new. You'll always be able to get your money back (or most - less shipping) on a used Speed King. There always seems to be demand for them.​
If, on the other hand, money ain't so tight, I'd still buy a used one. And if you really, really, really like it, them buy a new one.​

If you owned a "vintage" SK, and a new one, then you can decide if there's a difference, or not. My point of view, is just that. My view. Yours may agree, or differ. There's no right, or wrong. Some people say the WFL feels "different" from the Luddies. Some say the 60's pedals are better that the 70's.​

I own about 8 different ones, right now. The easiest way (and quickest) to change the sound of your kick, is to swap out the beater. Felt to plastic to wood to fluffy wool. My favorite (right now) is the Vater VB.​
The main pedal I use ... a Yamaha Direct Drive.​

Wow thanks man, you summed up alotta stuff.

I can tell you how to refurbish one, just send me a PM, or I could archive directions here it here so others can learn too.

The pedal works by a compression spring, so instead of pulling the pedal back after a stroke like most pedals, the SK pushes it back into position with two springs held in the side posts on the frame, held in place by the two round screws in the bottom of the baseplate. Tightening these screws increases the tension on the springs.
Just checking for videos on how to do this, I don't know if I can do any better than these videos. Watch them, and you should be set! If you have any questions, let me know and I can post pictures on how to do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S10b5ffBwUQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtrKb1T5N0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRcQwNz4cf4

Here's what I used to get the caps off, from a comment left on the first video...
"I've had good success with this method: 1. Take out the screw and pushrod 2. Wrap a rubber band in the gap between the body and the beater holder on the side you're working on (air seal it) 3. Fire up the air compressor and put on a blower attachment with a rubber tip 4. Wrap the upper cap area in a towel or rag (to catch both the cap and the flying grease) 5. Put on safely goggles and gloves 6. Firmly put the attachment in the bottom and apply the air! The cap should pop off."

Cleaning, I soaked everything in orange oil degreaser for two days. You can put the bearings in an old prescription medicine bottle, and fill it with the oil, and shake it up. Everything else went in a tub. For grease, I actually used the same as the guy in the third video I believe, which is Super Lube Synthetic Grease in a grey tube. I used it on everything, bearings and all. What they don't cover is reassembling. Everything should be pretty obvious, but for the pushrods, the thin part faces down, and at the top, make sure the cut-out part is facing towards the inside of the pedal.

The pedal works by a compression spring, so instead of pulling the pedal back after a stroke like most pedals, the SK pushes it back into position with two springs held in the side posts on the frame, held in place by the two round screws in the bottom of the baseplate. Tightening these screws increases the tension on the springs.
Just checking for videos on how to do this, I don't know if I can do any better than these videos. Watch them, and you should be set! If you have any questions, let me know and I can post pictures on how to do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S10b5ffBwUQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtrKb1T5N0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRcQwNz4cf4

Here's what I used to get the caps off, from a comment left on the first video...
"I've had good success with this method: 1. Take out the screw and pushrod 2. Wrap a rubber band in the gap between the body and the beater holder on the side you're working on (air seal it) 3. Fire up the air compressor and put on a blower attachment with a rubber tip 4. Wrap the upper cap area in a towel or rag (to catch both the cap and the flying grease) 5. Put on safely goggles and gloves 6. Firmly put the attachment in the bottom and apply the air! The cap should pop off."

Cleaning, I soaked everything in orange oil degreaser for two days. You can put the bearings in an old prescription medicine bottle, and fill it with the oil, and shake it up. Everything else went in a tub. For grease, I actually used the same as the guy in the third video I believe, which is Super Lube Synthetic Grease in a grey tube. I used it on everything, bearings and all. What they don't cover is reassembling. Everything should be pretty obvious, but for the pushrods, the thin part faces down, and at the top, make sure the cut-out part is facing towards the inside of the pedal.

THNX much appreciated, i just bought a SP. I cant wait to clean it and play with it. : )

It'd be silly to re lube an SK with grease.

Watch the Drum Mechanix vid, use a teflon based lube. The springs, bearings and push rods do not need to ride in heavy grease, that was late 19th early 20th century thinking.

Since Bonham and SPEED KING are both at the top of the thread heap today, here's todays question:

"What were the spring settings Bonham used on his SPEED KING"?

Last edited:
It'd be silly to re lube an SK with grease.

Watch the Drum Mechanix vid, use a teflon based lube. The springs, bearings and push rods do not need to ride in heavy grease, that was late 19th early 20th century thinking.

Since Bonham and SPEED KING are both at the top of the thread heap today, here's todays question:

"What were the spring settings Bonham used on his SPEED KING"?

I wasn't planning on using normal grease, I am going to use my dads gun grease. and yes id love to know " What were the spring settings Bonham used on his SPEED KING" But i doubt anyone would know.

[I...]id love to know " What were the spring settings Bonham used on his SPEED KING" But i doubt anyone would know.[/I]

Somebody's gotta know. Maybe he didn't even touch it out of the box.

Does Jason play a Speed King? I doubt it. The fact that he's John's son has nothing to do with anything other than he's John Bonham's son...

Why does the spring tension matter? It's not going to make you play better or turn you into Bonham. Better to ask Ocheltree than Jason I should think.
Oh and sorry I forgot to mention there's cam in the top part of the pedal by the bearings that you need to watch out for, I forgot how they go in. If you need help with it let us know.

i was kind of thinking that he might have some of his dad's old drums and stuff. maybe there is an old sk laying around that his dad used.

probably is better to ask Ocheltree though

Back