Best Metal Voice?

Yeah I actually prefer "normal" singing with my metal music. I listen to mostly stuff like sludge and "post-metal" though. Growling complimented with more atmospheric singing is the best in my opinion.

I would say Troy Sanders and Bent Hinds definitely add a lot to Mastodons sound, though.

I started this thread to hear all of your opinions. You have brought to the fore great ones I admire, also many that I didn't expect and that is awsome/inspiring. Now, I ask you guys to please put some support behind your opinions (musically) weather its notation, harmony or range. The reason I ask this is because I would like to see some opinionated support based on musicality ALONG with taste.

Great job everyone!

I truly look forward to your educational answers.

Without a doubt Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. He really has one of the greatest voices in music today IMO. His vocal range is amazing and the fact that he sings both the melodic "pretty" stuff if you will and the growling aggressive stuff is quite impressive. For those of you not familiar with Opeth I urge you to check out "Ghost Reveries". All of their stuff is incredible though.

I started this thread to hear all of your opinions. You have brought to the fore great ones I admire, also many that I didn't expect and that is awsome/inspiring. Now, I ask you guys to please put some support behind your opinions (musically) weather its notation, harmony or range. The reason I ask this is because I would like to see some opinionated support based on musicality ALONG with taste.

Great job everyone!

I truly look forward to your educational answers.

"Victim Of Changes" - There's your notation, harmony, AND range!

Serj Tankian
[System Of A Down]

Serj Tankian has the best ... half-metal voice, because he connects shredding guitars, crushing drums with a calm voice and melodies played with closed eyes. Great!

Ohmigod, his voice drives me up a wall! Seems like a great guy, though. Socially conscious... He hosts a great radio show on KPFK in L.A. with Tom Morello, guitarist from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave. But I'm off-topic here. Sorry...

Best Metal Voice? I'd have to say one of those big metal guys in Transformers. Optimus Prime? Or Megatron? One of them...

Ohmigod, his voice drives me up a wall! Seems like a great guy, though. Socially conscious... He hosts a great radio show on KPFK in L.A. with Tom Morello, guitarist from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave. But I'm off-topic here. Sorry...

Best Metal Voice? I'd have to say one of those big metal guys in Transformers. Optimus Prime? Or Megatron? One of them...

I vote Optimus Prime!

I'm gonna start a Christian Black Metal band!

How about Christian rapcore Death metal? Check out the last two MDs, the contest is from some guy in a band like that. Weird.

Let's see, for me...

Devin Townsend
Mikael Akerfeldt
Jens Kidman
Phil Anselmo

In no special order

Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage.

Phil Anselmo from Pantera.

Rody Walker from Protest the Hero.

Tommy Rogers from Between the Buried & Me.

My all time favorites are Troy Sanders and Brent Hinds from Mastodon. Not because of any mindblowing technical skill necessarily, but just because the way their voices fit the music on an atmospheric level. The girttiness of the sound combined with their gritty voices and Brent's southern drawl just adds so much to the already amazing music.

thank you! ill add a few,

Jake Luhrs from august burns red
Winston McCall from parkway drive
Karl Schubach from misery signals
also the old singer from after the burial

Hands down Chuck Billy.

Great job everyone!

I truly look forward to your educational answers

That just takes too much effort.

Lemmy Ian Kilminster - Motorhead

Spider One - PowerMan 5000

Rob Zombie

Rob Halford - Judas Priest

Johan Hegg (Amon Amarth) - because his vocas are extremally deep and harsh.
King Diamond (Mercyful Fate) - not for everyone. As he's using extreme falsetto which not everyone can handle.
Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity) - deep enveloping growl.
Alan Nemtheanga (Primordial) - because he mixes growl with clean vocals and it sounds angry and sad in the same time - beautiful.
Rob Halford (Judas Priest) - well, because it's strong high and very melodic
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) - because it's Iron Maiden!
Messiah Marcolin (ex-Candlemass) - very high and very strong.
Kelly Sundown Carpenter (ex-Beyond Twilight) - very strong and powerful vocals.
Lord Defiler (Wolven Ancestry) - very poweful melodic black metal vocals

This is easy.
Mark "Barney" Greenway
Napalm Death.

The most violent, brutal, gut wrenching vocals.

Deicide! ARRRRRGGGGHHHH

Ehh, call me old school, but I prefer Dio, Halford, Dickinson, vocals like THAT that had some melody to them. The gravel throat extreme metal stuff is only good for short bursts and it then it gets old. All too many of them you can't make out a word of it.
Just my opinion now, don't get all postal on me!! :D

Back