View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Kalma,

you played a sound of muzak on MD. Are your playalongs licensed?

do you mean are they published and released somewhere? No.

Hi pilot19

I have a nice collection of snare drums; about eleven pristine examples in my collection including an original Radio King and a Noble & Cooley US Civil War snare drum (circa 1862). However, all of my snares are 14 inch (the N&C is 15 inch). I notice you play a smaller, deeper snare drum. I love your snare drum nuances and dynamics. Can you tell me the dimensions and head combination?

It depends which snare drum - or song - you're referring to. I tend to use 14x5 a lot with Porcupine Tree - and sometimes I use a 12x5 (you may have seen that little white Sonor one on a clip somewhere). On that drum is usually a Remo Coated Ambassador - and a snare side Ambassador too. On the 14x5 drums I use either a Remo C.S or a Coated Pinstripe. I rarely use a snare drum deeper than 5".

Hi Alex P.

I finished the transcription of "Blackest Eyes". I hope there are not too many mistakes. ( Bar 21 to 35: I think you play on a other snare drum, on the second "16nd note" of the third beat, but I'm not sure.)

Very good - I noticed a couple of tiny mistakes - but I know how hard it is to transcribe things. Yes I seem to remember there was a second snare drum off to my left for those hits.

Now, I'll try to transcribe "Nil Recurring".

Good luck - I look forward to seeing it.

Hi etnies12188

Gavin I need help badly, its driving me crazy the fill you do in "Slippin away part 2" Around the 1:56 mark when u hit the snare and choke the cymbals please tell me how to do it I've tried so many times.

It's just a snare hit leading onto a choked cymbal crash - but I play 3 notes on the bass drum leading onto that crash...so the 3rd bass drum lands exactly with the crash. It's quite easy to see that from the overhead camera shot.

Cheers
Gavin