is it true about G2s? help!

ok. I've gotten into Aquarian heads and was liking them alot. But heres the thing. I live in Ireland and there seems to be very limited stock.

I stopped by my drum dealer the other day to order a new bass drum head. He told me that he hadn't got it in stock and he can't order it for me as he won't be dealing in Aquarian anymore.

It seems he took on Aquarian to see how they would do over here. They seem to have sold very poorly. Since it costs him extra to ship them over it hasn't been worth his while. So once the last heads go...that's it. Apparantly there's another drum dealer here that has had the same problem and they are also dropping them.

It looks like it's gonna be very hard to get my hands on the heads I like.

He said I should look at changing to Remo. But so many guys have told me to stay away from Remo because they have problems with their coated heads.

I play Sonor as you can tell by name. I played G2s on a Delite one time and they sounded and felt great. I think I'd rather go with Evans than Remo. But I've heard that G2s don't last very long....that you might get a month or two...but after that the tone dies and they're useless...how true is this?

I think a good head should last a good 6-8 months at the very least. Do G2s last this long?

If not G2 then how about the EC1? I played the EC2 before and it's too dead. Is the EC1 a bit more open? And do they last?

SonorPlayer

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've been using the same coated G2s on my tom batters since 2007 and I think they sound great. I've changed snare and kick drum heads I-don't-know-how-many-times (changed actual snare drums for that matter) and even changed all my cymbals at least once since then, but for what ever reason , I haven't found it necessary to change my tom heads (because they sound killer?). Go figure!

By the way, I've had similar success with Remo Emperors. They're actually my default heads. I was only experimenting with the G2s and can't really say I like one over the other for toms and snares. But I much prefer a Remo PS3 over any Evans kick drum head, FWIW.

But I've heard that G2s don't last very long....that you might get a month or two...but after that the tone dies and they're useless...how true is this?

They WILL last you longer than a couple of months, under "normal" playing conditions......trust me (for that matter so will Remo). If Evans heads only lasted a month, they wouldn't be walking off the shelves in droves like they do.....really.

FWIW, I use Remo heads for the most part and whilst the coating does come off over time (show me a head where it doesn't), in over 25 years I've never seen the disaster stories that I read on the forums. Most of the time I put these sorts of horror stories down to brand loyalty......people prefer what they're used to and won't be persuaded to use another product. That's fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean the competition is not up to the job either. Buy one of each and make up your own mind, I'd suggest.

Both are quality heads.....neither company would be so universally respected if they continually sold rubbish.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've been using the same coated G2s on my tom batters since 2007.

No joke, I believe MikeM on this. I had my last set of G2s on for well over a year and EC2s for almost 2years. I always tune as low as possible so I know that helps with the longevity. I only replaced them because I went into studio to record.

I can honestly say that with care, the G2 and EC2 heads have outlasted any other head that I have used. There are plenty of drummers on here that will attest to how good these heads are. I have put these heads through full Metal sets 3 nights a week and they perform extremely well.

The G2's are a more open sounding head than the equivalent Remo to my ear. More overtones. So I'm an Evans guy. And they last just as long as Remos and sound good to the end. I've taken off dished out heads that still sounded good. The coating coming off...there's alot of factors that can influence that and a few bad experiences does not a bad head make. Or something like that.

There's really no set time that a head will last on any particular kit. It all has to do with how they are tuned, the players sticking technique, the type of sticks or brushes they use, the type of music they play and also the type of head. I was a Remo user for over forty five years before I started using Evans heads and I switch for one particular reason, the snare head coatings. I was getting good service from Remos coating, but it has at least doubled using the Evans coated heads. The G2 heads sound great in my experience. I have G2 clear batter heads on two of my kits, G2 coated on one and G1 coated on the other. They retain their live resonant sound and to my ear sound as good or better than their Remo counterparts. I'm not saying that I'll never give Remo another try, but right now I'm perfectly satisfied with what Evans has to offer.

Dennis

I've heard from Evans themselves (obviously) but, more importantly, from other drummers on here that G2's are meant to be amongst Evans' most durable heads. I think the dead sound you're talking about may be from that fact that after about a month or two, heads or any type tend to 'settle in' and don't sound quite so harsh. Also take into consideration that G2's generally have a shorter sustain and then this may be why you think they've lost their tone.
xoxo

FWIW, I use Remo heads for the most part and whilst the coating does come off over time (show me a head where it doesn't), in over 25 years I've never seen the disaster stories that I read on the forums. Most of the time I put these sorts of horror stories down to brand loyalty......people prefer what they're used to and won't be persuaded to use another product.

I agree. In 32 years with Remo I have never had a problem.

I tried Evans and they are okay but do not feel alive to me.

I also have been told by a drummer mate in Ireland that they are cheaper to stock in that country than Remo or others and this is why Evans is pushed there.

I also have been told by a drummer mate in Ireland that they are cheaper to stock in that country than Remo or others and this is why Evans is pushed there.
I've heard that as well - that Dupont makes the mylar for both Remo and Evans heads (among others) but also that Dupont owns Remo, and Remo and Evans aren't friendly with each other. The sheets that Dupont mylar is made into are pretty wide and are most consistent up the middle with the most variation in thickness toward the edges of the sheet.

Allegedly Remo (and Aquarian) gets the center cuts and Evans gets the edge cuts, so from a mylar perspective (what else is there?) Evans are inferior right outta the gate.

This info came to me from a long-time drum shop owner who said that Evans are pushed at drumshops because their wholesale prices are much cheaper so the profit margins are a lot higher (retail pricing being about the same as Remo).

Anyway, my G2s have been on my toms for 3 years. If I tried for a lower tuning, I would need to replace them for sure, but they're cranked up almost Stewart Copeland tight at the moment so the fact that they're old gives them a mellower tone at this tuning.

I played G2s on a Delite one time and they sounded and felt great.

This is your quote. How long did they last? what was your experience with them? I have them on my Renowns and they seem to last as long as any.

My new kit will get G2 clears over EC resonants. Tried and true combo for me.

I've heard that as well - that Dupont makes the mylar for both Remo and Evans heads (among others) but also that Dupont owns Remo, and Remo and Evans aren't friendly with each other. The sheets that Dupont mylar is made into are pretty wide and are most consistent up the middle with the most variation in thickness toward the edges of the sheet.

Allegedly Remo (and Aquarian) gets the center cuts and Evans gets the edge cuts, so from a mylar perspective (what else is there?) Evans are inferior right outta the gate.

This info came to me from a long-time drum shop owner who said that Evans are pushed at drumshops because their wholesale prices are much cheaper so the profit margins are a lot higher (retail pricing being about the same as Remo).

Anyway, my G2s have been on my toms for 3 years. If I tried for a lower tuning, I would need to replace them for sure, but they're cranked up almost Stewart Copeland tight at the moment so the fact that they're old gives them a mellower tone at this tuning.

Dupont owns Remo? Not that I can find so far

I find Evans more consistent than Remo, however I prefer the sound and feel of Remo heads. All the Evans heads I've ever had tend to lose their tone before the actual head wears out. As for coating, the Evans coating is smoother to begin with which I can't stand for brush playing. I find Remo heads to have a nice colorful musical character while Evans tend to sound boxy, have a sharp attack, and remind me of electronic drum sounds. The Evans G1s are fine though and would be the only heads I would use of theirs. G2s are a very different sound so if you like them, choose them. Another unique head I've found recently is the Remo Ebony Pinstripe. It's made of a 10mil and 5mil plies with the Ebony film so it doesn't sound or feel quite like the regular Pinstripes. I think it has more tone, especially over Clear Diplomats. Just a suggestion though...

I did a little reading on this last time I heard this. Dupont owns a 40% stake in Remo but does not own the company entirely. I found this on a press release from 2003 (I believe?) I'll try to find the link again, if I can.

However, there's no indication (to me) that the quality of the Mylar is any less than that which is found in Remo heads. If anything, Evans has better QA and turns out better heads, overall...since they're more consistent.

I've only been drumming for 3.5 yrs. and I've had all sorts of bad Remo heads. Emperors with coating that didn't last 10 minutes of *light* playing, dead heads with no tone at all and just could not be tuned, bad bass drum heads that wouldn't seat correctly and tune up.

I love the PS3, too, which is why I've stuck w/ Remo. I've got an EQ4 and EQ1 (reso) on the way and I've got some coated G2s that have lasted for about 2 yrs. I'm going to slap those on my Classic Maples and probably stick w/ Evans for a little while. The EQ4 sounds excellent and is very similar to a PS3.

Where did this info come from? Sounds like a load of hog wash to me.
Evans is owned by DiAdario not Dupont, and Remo is it's own corporation.
If there's some insider info, with documentation someone could show that's one thing, but what that person told you sounds like a load.

Aquarian uses a different type of film altogether from Remo and Evans.

Maybe back in the mid-90's Aquarian used the same film--it was more durable for me back then and was brighter sounding--but around '99, or '00, or '01, they totally changed the film they used to make heads to a 'warmer' sounding film no one else used.

They did it specifically for the warmer sound, and because it sounded more like calf heads.

Mylar comes in a roll and it's the same thickness all the way (or at least 90% all the way) across or NO ONE would buy it. ISO and all that...

Companies aren't going to purchase and inferior product "doled out" by someone.

The huge rolls are cut into squares by whatever company is making the heads themselves. It's not sold in sheets.
There are sereral YouTube clips that show how heads are made by all three companies, all showing the rolls and all showing the cutting.

Makes for a good sci-fi, black helicopter, buy it after hours on the docks "if you know what's good for you" kind of story though.

Dupont owns Remo? Not that I can find so far
I looked and can't find that either.

I did a little reading on this last time I heard this. Dupont owns a 40% stake in Remo but does not own the company entirely. I found this on a press release from 2003 (I believe?) I'll try to find the link again, if I can.
A 40% stake is still a stake.

Where did this info come from? Sounds like a load of hog wash to me.
Evans is owned by DiAdario not Dupont, and Remo is it's own corporation.
I never said that Evans was owned Dupont, just to be clear.

As I said, this was told to me by a drumshop owner here in town that everyone knows, who has a lot of contacts on the mfg side of the business and this is just what he told me.

I have no axe to grind with Evans (read my earlier posts in this thread) and in retrospect, without firsthand knowledge of what I was told, or any way to verify any of it, I should have kept my mouth shut (or stifled my fingers, or whatever).

My bad.

Mouth shut? Nah, if Dupont has a 40% stake in a company they sell a lot of product to, it's pretty smart actually.
If I came off sounding dicky, it wasn't my intent--more skeptical than anything.
Hey, if a shop owner, especially if they've been around a while hears things.
One company getting "not the best part" is pretty questionable though.

Pushing a product that has a bigger profit ratio is just good business--and Evans products aren't junk either haha!

But, I've been told things by a manufacturer of one of these companies too. I won't say what, because it was pretty harsh.
Lets just say there's no love between a drum company head, and a drum head manufacturer, and a couple other things too that were pretty eye opening.

Well, that's what happens between business rivals. Like the old days between Ludwig and Slingerland...

I've only been drumming for 3.5 yrs. and I've had all sorts of bad Remo heads. Emperors with coating that didn't last 10 minutes of *light* playing, dead heads with no tone at all and just could not be tuned, bad bass drum heads that wouldn't seat correctly and tune up.

You have had all this trouble in 3 1/2 years and I have had zero trouble in 32 years. I do not think the problem here is the heads. A poor tradesman blames his tools.

As for seating? One must take care with Remo as the heads have a non flexible metal hoop. Whereas Evans has a flexible plastic hoop. Remo also has a glue that needs to be cracked upon seating. This is easily done.

Back