Electronic or acoustic set for a beginner?

Meckie

Hello guys - I've just recently started playing drums for real at my school. I've come to the point where I would love to practice and jam at my house and therefore went looking for a drumset.

But I ran into a dilemma: Eletric or acoustic drumset?

Some things worth considering before commenting on whether I should chose electric or acoustic:

1) My budget is very low - around 200-250 dollars.
2) It's for practicing and chilling jam purposes only.
3) The noise is not a problem.

Right now I'm looking at these two drumsets (one being electronic, one being acoustic). And it's pretty much the only options I have taken my extremely low budget in consideration. Remember I am a beginner.

Acoustic: http://images.dba.dk/images/3/99/62192499_15092009155352_4015_3.jpg (There's lacking two cymbals on the picture - they are there normally).
Electronic: http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/183910.jpg

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the eletronic drumset?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the acoustic drumset?
What sounds reasonable and fine and still fits my budget? Electronic/acoustic?
What can develop my skills fastest? Is there any difference?

And so on and on. Advices, tips and everything else is highly appreciated. Any questions what so ever? Ask it and I'll answer!

Unless you buy used you will not find much electric for your price range. And then you may be buying someone elses headaches. As for acoustic, you can find a ton of stuff on your local Craigslist in that range. It won't be the best stuff but enough to get you started.
I have never played electric but would say if noise is not a problem I would play acoustic. It will be more like what you are playing in school also.

The quality won't be great, no.

The electronic drumset is called many names:
- Millenium 100-MPS
- DD502
- Cant remember anymore names :D but theres more modelnames.

It's available for 200 dollars, so its not really expensive!
____

Thanks for your reply! Would like some more opinions though! :)

I'm a e-kit fan but would suggest you go acoustic.

Buy used and you will get a lot more for your money. Concentrate on the drums only and add the cymbals later. Just a thought.

Davo

Thanks for the answer. :) However, I've been playing for 4-5 months on/off so I do know the basic stuff. I just want to take the last step and become good now. :)

I'd opt for the acoustic kit, if noise is not a problem. I play both. I treat both as completely seperate instruments. If you take lessons, your teacher will probably teach you on an acoustic. If you join a band, you'll probably find an acoustic more versitile. Skills like dynamics, tuning, etc., are a big part of acoustic drumming. With the e-kit, volume knobs and parameter settings are more of a "knob tweaking thang". I'd start off acoustic, and add electronics later, if you still want to persue that interest also.

yup, i'd say accoustic too, half the fun of an accoustic kit is tuning and tinkering, the other half is all the different sounds you are able pull out of it through playing, accoustic drums have a pulse, a feel a heartbeat a real sense of character...

just me though, good luck and keep on drumming - either way you go!

$200 (us) is cheap for a brand new electronic drum kit! you'll have to tell us how it's working out for you once you get it set up.

you still might want to get an acoustic kit at some point. if you ever jam with others or play a show, you'll definitely need one. and like everyone says, there are aspects of playing acoustic drums that you can't learn on an electronic kit.

i'm not knocking electronic kits though. i have one and use it for all practice except band practice.

Oh, the set is not entirely new - im buying it used but seeing as its one of my good friends friend selling it, I believe the set is in fine quality.

oh ok! i was thinking that was some kind of price breakthrough.

used gear is a great way to go as long as you know what you're getting.

Back