On this day in 1959: this legendary track was recorded

1959. Wow. That whole album is still studied to this day!

I realize this may be a fairly unpopular opinion....

For me, part of the appeal of the early DB albums was that it sounded like a bunch of reefer smoking college kids playing an intuitive facsimile of jazz. There was a raw-ness and sparse-ness to the music that I really wasn't hearing from the other superhuman players of that age (Benny Goodman's orchestra for example). To me, this was a welcome de-evolution.

I realize this may be a fairly unpopular opinion....

For me, part of the appeal of the early DB albums was that it sounded like a bunch of reefer smoking college kids playing an intuitive facsimile of jazz. There was a raw-ness and sparse-ness to the music that I really wasn't hearing from the other superhuman players of that age (Benny Goodman's orchestra for example). To me, this was a welcome de-evolution.

So you weren't listening to Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, or Joe Pass from the same period?

So you weren't listening to Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, or Joe Pass from the same period?

Was listening to Miles (Kind of Blue), Count Basie, Coltrane, and Duke Ellington mostly. All super-humans.

On the flip side..

When I think of Pop-Jazz in the late 50's, for some reason I think Sinatra / Fitzgerald / Cole. Not that I dislike them, but I might as well listen to Percy Faith orchestral stuff.

Back