Todd Sucherman here!

Great, see you then! That's all the info I have presently. You can ring up the shop and ask for yourself I suppose. They'd know more about it than I.

Cheers,
Todd

Yes I'll definately give them a call, and see how much tickets will be.

While in Oakville, see if you can drive through Lakeshore road. As one of the wealthiest cities in the country, there's some really impressive mansions along the waterfront. Perhaps one to film the next DVD? ;) A nice, quaint downtown area too.

just want to give my kudos here for what has to be the most interactive star drummer on this board !
between todd here and my daughters drum teacher casey grillo , pearl drums has a couple of great ambassadors in the world of percussion .
both of these guys with their down to earth senses and average joe attitudes are what gives me hope that my 11 y.o. will be able to pursue her dream if she so choses !
thanks from a grateful dad that gets tired of all these over blow , big headed , over hyped , understudied , jerks ! o.k. rant over . have a great day !

Andrew---

Thanks for the tip. Usually there's no time for sightseeing on these runs. Doing 4 clinics in 4 days you wake up and drive to the next town, set up, eat, then it's showtime. Drinks, sleep, repeat. Hope you can make it.

gwaco--

Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers from somewhere in Minnesota,
Todd

Hey Todd...

just recently I received a new pair of drumsticks. They 're different than my usual choice. A little bigger in girth but very well balanced. If I hold one of them I recognize that the balance point sits a little more towards the tip. I like that. I see that it works for me, because it seems to create some more momentum in my left hand. They are maple and thats also good because I like to hit a rim now and then and I 'm told that maple almost never chips!

These particular Pro-Mark 330 's have been around for some time now -- not easy to get from where I 'm at -- I 'm proud to own them!

You' re a great inspiration, Todd! Each and every time I get to sit and play my drums and from now on I can also feel that "Todd Sucherman - Vibe" when it's just me and the x-pad (which, sadly is most of the time -- poor sap I am :))

Thanks man!

Cheers from Bavaria
Andreas

P.S. It 's about time to conquer Europe,Todd ,..I tell you! We 're ready!! :)

Aydee----

... long phrases in my dvd, but to answer your question, I'm doing it consciously and spontaneously. Or really, improvising. I'll think in 4 or 8 bar phrases and sometimes longer with over the bar line ideas....

Todd, weird question. Please bear with me.. While soloing when you are phasing 2 bars or even playing over the barline without actually keeping external tempo ( e.g hi hat ostinatos..), are you playing to a consistent rhythm/melody in your head or is it just an imaginary metronome without accents?

Last edited:
Krayziemex99--

No one has invited me to come to Arizona to do a clinic. You see, that's how it works----I don't choose where I do them. A Pearl/Sabian dealer has to contact the correct parties at Pearl/Sabain who in turn contact me for my availability. So as of now I have no plans to do a clinic in Arizona due to the lack of invite. It would be fantastic to be invited!

the-gablushe---

Glad you are digging the TS 330W autographs! Hopefully your dealer will stock them for you. Yeah, they just feel like butter to me and hope they do the trick for you. I don't think I'm prepared to "conquer" anything, but there's at least some talk of a few European clinics next year. Thanks, man.

aydee----

Yours is a hard question to answer. My thoughts might change because the context might change. Am I playing with musicians? Am I soloing the melodic motif of the tune? Am I playing by myself? In time or free form? I guess a basic answer would be that I usually have a quarter note pulse in my mind somewhere but I feel it and do not think about it. Without that nothing means anything, really. Because no matter the context of the playing it should always be music. I'll sometimes have a melody or motif, and sometimes I'll tread into deep unknown waters which can be scary yet exciting. But I don't have a real answer for you because I just play. I'm not really "thinking" most times. I'm paying full attention, though. Hmmmmm. Hope I'm making sense. It's just like talking---I want to say a sentence. It has a starting point and an ending point. I'll hear the shapes and know where it's supposed to end, or resolve. That's more what I'm thinking I guess.

Thanks for your questions!

Todd in Edmonton and heading to Vancouver

Hey Todd,

I bought the Modern Drummerfestival DVD and I saw u playing (it was great) and I noticed u used a kinda unusuall cymbal over there. Can u tell me what kind of cymbal it is and what size? (I pointed it out at the attachment).

Thanks a lot!

Frank

Edit: I am not sure if thats the right one, but it was at that spot. It sounded a little bit like a china but had the shape of a hi-hat.

Attachments

• Todd cymbal.JPG
    Todd cymbal.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,966
Hi Frank,

The cymbals in question that I used on my dvd "Methods and Mechanics" as well as the MD Fest dvd were:

14" HHX Evo mini China bottom, 12" HHX Evo Splash top.

The pic you used as an example is my Styx road rig, and those hats there are 13" AAX Stage Hats. I don't use the "Trash Hats" on the road with the band.

Thanks for the kind words--

Todd

Krayziemex99--

No one has invited me to come to Arizona to do a clinic. You see, that's how it works----I don't choose where I do them. A Pearl/Sabian dealer has to contact the correct parties at Pearl/Sabain who in turn contact me for my availability. So as of now I have no plans to do a clinic in Arizona due to the lack of invite. It would be fantastic to be invited!

Oh I see says the blind man. Well thats a shame but I do hope that it happens at one point it would be great. Btw Todd thanks for being so active on the forum man, its very much a rarity I appreciate it thanks!

I got Todds DVD a couple a days ago. First off the material and ideas he gives will keep you busy for years. Like Todd says in the DVD use your imagination. Besides that Todd
dicusses A lot of topics that can relate to real life and be very insperational. Its intense
and very funny at times. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for new ideas and to get blown away. For those of you who are stuck in a rut with your drumming it will get you
out QUICKlY!!!

QUICK TIP: this is not a advertisment for Todds DVD this my own personal opinion
Thanks Todd great job The name is methods and mechanics

Oh, I think I had mentioned this a while back, but If anyone lives in Ontario, Canada--I'll be doing some clinics in your fine Provence this week. Come out and say hello.

Centre Stage | Kingston, Ontario, Sept 21st

Cosmo Music | Richmond Hill, Ontario,*Sept 22nd

Gear Music | Oakville, Ontario, Sept 23rd

Sherwood Music | Kitchener, Ontario,*Sept 24th

Cheers!
Todd

Oh, I think I had mentioned this a while back, but If anyone lives in Ontario, Canada--I'll be doing some clinics in your fine Province this week. Come out and say hello.

Centre Stage | Kingston, Ontario, Sept 21st

Cosmo Music | Richmond Hill, Ontario,*Sept 22nd

Gear Music | Oakville, Ontario, Sept 23rd

Sherwood Music | Kitchener, Ontario,*Sept 24th

Cheers!
Todd

Hey Todd,
I saw your clinic on Wednesday in Oakville and I have to say it was one of the best clinics I've been to. Your playing was awesome and I'm sure it inspired a lot of the children that were there to keep drumming.

Out of the many Andrews that were probably in attendance (I don't know what it is with that town, it seems like everyone's called Andrew), I was the one that reappeared after having the Modern Drummer issue signed to get your DVD autographed. I also picked up your signature Promarks (now my go-to rock drum sticks) and Taylor Mills' record (of which I have to say everything about it is perfect).

Thanks for the great clinic!

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for making it out to the clinic and it was great to meet you. And thanks for the kind words and support! That was the most intimate and "up close" clinic on the whole run, and it was a fun night.

I'm really happy you dig the Taylor Mills "Lullagoodbye" CD. He brand new record "Under the Surface" is now available for pre order at http://www.taylormills.com/

We are thrilled with the record---and you can check out song clips on the "listen" page. Hope you decide to pick one up to complete the set! Thanks again, Andrew. Hope to see you again.

You can check out session pics on my Face Book:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=119005&id=672576178

Cheers,
Todd

http://www.taylormills.com/

Todd
Are you really coming to Hollywood in a couple of weeks...is it gonna be a clinic with some playing or something else?

If so I'm there Bro!

Hey LD,

I only have an hour and a half (I like 2 hour clinics) so I'll be doing mostly playing. We'll see how the conversation with the attendees goes. I think I'm on Saturday at 2pm. Hope you can make it.

Cheers from Jackson, MS

Todd
-------------------------------
Check out the new Taylor Mills CD
"Under the Surface"

I see Styx is coming to the house of blues in Chicago in November. I will be there it looks loke a good time. Stupid question what do they mean by the school of rock and why are the tickets so pricey.

Yesdog,

The Chicago HOB show is actually October 22nd. It's a private/public show that's for charity. It's a charity show and that's why it's a high ticket price. You can read about it here:

http://www.styxworld.com/

Click on the blue news link "Styx gives back to Chicago---a note from JY."

Cheers,

Todd
------------------------
New Taylor Mills CD

Back