What is your drum setup pet peeve?

I hate my own deep power toms mounted to my 22 inch bass drum on my gigging kit. I can't get my toms low enough and close enough together for my taste.

(Bless my new Yamaha Live Customs with the shallow toms.)

- that's another reason why I mount 2 toms on a separate double-spike stand just to the side of my kick. I can get the power toms down nice and low - and at the same time, the kick and toms sound better as they are isolated; the kick doesn't have the weight and hardware jammed on top. I angle the kick a bit to the right and slide the floors in close. It's very comfortable to play.. no big stretch or gap between the 2 high toms and the floors. My snare sits facing the 2 high toms.. so from an audience perspective they can see everything I'm doing.. and from my perspective it works ergonomically - the inner tenor tom and floor tom position is about the same as a standard 1 up 1 down configuration.
I am 6'2" so it might not work for everyone..

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about the receiver hole.
If you'll notice in this picture the ball in socket mounts clamp on to the post that comes off the slide track. Makes it even that much more adjustable.

................................................................................................................

Attachments

• RECIEVER HOLE.png
    RECIEVER HOLE.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 722
I think I've found the most pet peeves combined in one kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOTkRllJi8

- The most obvious one is the hihat up in the stratosphere (must be a custom stand)

That tall hi hat makes perfect sense. He's simply resolved the age-old problem of proper vertical phase alignment of the cymbal bank. Speaker manufacturers have known since the 1940s that hi frequency sounds arriving at the audience's ears at different times - especially misalignments in the vertical plane -causes an auditory phenomenon known as "hi frequency smearing." Depending on the prominence of this smearing in the 4-5.2kHz range, this phenomenon has been know to result in nausea and - in extreme cases - vertigo. Less pronounced cases tend to prompt guitarists to trip over cables, singers to tumble off stages, and bassists to stare wide-mouthed and drooling at fluorescent beer signs for minutes on end.

King Tinnitus the Younger (1412-1376 BC) is recorded to have had five cymbalists scourged for the "foul stings that sorely test my lobes." Recently discovered photos reveal that the percussionists had misaligned their cymbals horizontally by as much as 32cm.

drawing-of-greek-musicians.jpg

Above: King Tinnitus post removal of his cymbalists

GeeDeeEmm

The whole "bottoms heads removed, with 10 year old pitted pinstripes on top" look you sometimes see with bar bands.

...Less pronounced cases tend to prompt guitarists to trip over cables, singers to tumble off stages, and bassists to stare wide-mouthed and drooling at fluorescent beer signs for minutes on end.

I was convinced until the bit which added bold to.

That's just what bassists do.

Wow, that's even got this guy beat for tallest HH.

I like his playing :)

The whole "bottoms heads removed, with 10 year old pitted pinstripes on top" look you sometimes see with bar bands.
Oh yes, seen enough of those :( Makes me laugh & cry at the same time when I'm asked to get a good FOH sound from such kits. Sad thing is, most of those players truly believe I can!

Tight BD pedal springs. Seems everybody keeps it tighter than I do.

Tight BD pedal springs. Seems everybody keeps it tighter than I do.

You would hate my pedals. lol They are always set at maximum tension.

Death Metal kids with 2 crashes and 5 chinas.

Entire set ups made out of dark,dry,un-lathed models. Basically ,half the Meinl artist roster. Most of those things sound broken to me.

Stackers

Yep....I'm getting old.

Ok, I got ya now. I actually have never put anything in the receiver tube, so I'm not sure what size it will take.

Tube could be chopped, knuckle (clamp) reattached, YAMAHA 7/8", or another manufactures 1" tom mount could used to accommodate different makes of tom brackets.

I love virgin bass drums. My bass drum can never have a mounting system in it. I hate having two racks toms. I only like one rack tom and one or two floor toms. And my rack tom always has to be on a snare stand. I hate when people angle their Chinas instead of leaving them flat. Leaving them flat gives them so much better sound, IMO. I love the trashy cut from Chinas. I hate racks because they look weird. I don't want a metal bar hanging over my bass drum.

4 piece kits

4 piece kits with 1 "crash/ride" and 1 crash

4 piece kits with the tom in a snare stand

Have I mentioned 4 piece kits? At this point, its way more cliché then the big db kits were in the 80s.

My own kits pet peeve are me trying to learn to tune for 6 months and still can't make them sound how i would like. or good.. ready to pay someone to come tune them :)

Other peeve would be me being too cheap to add a second crash and different hats.. these pst8 hats are just too bright

4 piece kits

4 piece kits with 1 "crash/ride" and 1 crash

4 piece kits with the tom in a snare stand

Have I mentioned 4 piece kits? At this point, its way more cliché then the big db kits were in the 80s.

Ouch! You're hurting my feelings, Axe. Although I'll usually set up a second floor tom, I'm basically a four-piece player at heart because that's the configuration I've been playing since 1965! I tried my hand at sets with multiple mounted toms, but could never feel comfortable behind them. I understand what you're saying, though. Trends come and go. I'm in the boat with you when it comes to the ride tom in a snare stand. I think it ruins the looks of a kit. If one wants to maintain a virgin kick drum, why not suspend the ride tom from a tom/cymbal stand? Better yet, ditch the whole virgin bass drum nonsense and install a rail consolette. Now we're talkin'.

GeeDeeEmm

My pet peeve is guitartists that say they will give you time and space to get set up and then proceed to impede you in every way possible and noodle constantly at high volume while they do it!

Can you imagine 16ths on the hihats?
Great drummer - but no doubt he will change his setup by the time he's 40. His shoulders will require it.

Yeah - the way he is laying into it at that height - he definitely has surgery in his future.

Back