Todd Sucherman here!

intheruff--

I really don't use heel/toe. It was just never natural or comfortable for me. You just missed me in the Pacific NW. I did clinics in Salem and Seattle. I won't be doing clinics in Spokane unless I'm invited by your shop---I (or any other drummer) doesn't choose where they do clinics. They have to be invited!

Spokane, and the surrounding area are a drumming void. There are no decent drum shops, no decent music shops, no clinics, no hi-fi or specialty shops. I could draw a circle in a 3-hour drive radius and it's all a void, sadly.

TRKDRMR, hey you think Spokane is bad you should live here in Delaware!!! Death valley for anything, I mean this place is like the land that time forgot when it comes to music stores, concerts or drum stuff!!!!! So, brother , you are not alone in the wilderness.....

Todd,

I first became aware of your playing by accident. I was in NC around 2000/2001 vacationing and stopped by the local Wal Mart. As I was walking in the music aisle I saw this CD called
Styx "Hits". The price was right so I bought it and popped it in the player in my Olds Intrigue. Geez! It was unbelievable. The cover said nothing about it being a LIVE disc.
Your playing really opened my eyes and I think I went through that CD from front to back 4 times that day. The whole band sounded great and the drum parts really elevated the music.
About a year or so later I saw STYX and REO on the TODAY show and to hear that kind of rock on a whitebread show was awesome. You guys absolutely killed that morning.
Since then I've bought 2 concert DVDs The St. Louis one with REO and Return to Paradise Theater(i think thats what it is called).
Anyway, funny how a fluke buy can turn out to be one of the favorite bands/performances in my collection.

Sheesh, you guys are playing right down the road in St. Pete and I can't go. *figures*

It's been unusually warm here this past week and the humidity sure has crept up a bit. Bring those air fans Todd. Have a great show! I'm sure I will hear about it how great it was from my friends.

Stay cool.

'Spokane, and the surrounding area are a drumming void. There are no decent drum shops, no decent music shops, no clinics, no hi-fi or specialty shops. I could draw a circle in a 3-hour drive radius and it's all a void, sadly.'

3 hour? Try 7 (Seattle). I thank Al Gore everyday for the internet... lol.

intheruff--

I'm not sure what you mean by grand rolls....I cover bass drum technique for a minute as I feel I have nothing to fancy going on "downstairs" but I cover a lot of double bass ideas with an easy number system between hands and feet. I feel it's a useful way to incorporate double bass ideas within fills and grooves--and not just bombastic 16th idea stuff.

Stillgroovin--

Thanks. Enjoying the weather indeed.

rmandlebaum-

I was in Hawaii last month. I'm more of a snorkel guy than a diver! But thanks for the tip. I had a blast over there as usual.

trkdrmr--

Sorry you feel there is a void there. It's important that we support our local drum shops. You do have Dick's hamburgers, though. If you look at the picture (from the Modern Drummer cover article they did on me) I'm wearing a Dick's T shirt under the jacket on the bench photo! I got that last time I was in Spokane.

b4z--

Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you "discovered" me. Thanks again. I feel this band (as well as performances I'm happy with) still haven't been captured live yet. Two Styx CDs where I don't feel like leaping from a bridge when I hear them are "Cyclorama" and "Big Bang Theory." I suggest you check them out if you enjoy my playing. And of course, the DVD is over 5 hours which I wholeheartedly recommend! It's available world wide here:
http://www.altitudedigital.com/todd-sucherman-methods-and-mechanics.html

John Fav--

Always a pleasure to see you, my friend!

That Guy--

Sorry you'll be missing the gig.

drumhead61--

Lots-o-moving pics of that kit in the DVD! Over 5 hours of it, actually.

OK, guys. Thanks for your notes!

Cheers from Clearwater-

Todd

'double bass ideas with an easy number system between hands and feet'

I'm not sure what meant by 'grand roll' either, never said it before. However, what you said above, and what I've heard of your 'grand rolls', the dvd is on the Christmas list. Now you go buy yourself something big and expensive... lol

Todd!

Just want to say congrats and "thanks" for producing such an exceptional DVD set! I'd neither heard nor seen you before but I bought "Methods and Mechanics" after reading your interview in MD. Wow, I sat down this morning just to get a start on it (thought maybe I'd watch about an hour then move on to the rest of my day) and the next thing I know, it's five hours later and I'm still sitting on my couch staring at the television! You did the kinds of things I've always wished other drummers would do (or do more of) in their videos and I really enjoyed both your musical and teaching performances. Well done!

spleen

'Spokane, and the surrounding area are a drumming void. There are no decent drum shops, no decent music shops, no clinics, no hi-fi or specialty shops. I could draw a circle in a 3-hour drive radius and it's all a void, sadly.'

3 hour? Try 7 (Seattle). I thank Al Gore everyday for the internet... lol.

That answers my question about Boise. I was considering looking north into Canada. Better yet: move to Seattle this summer when I retire from active duty. There is a small drum shop in Sand Point and maybe Idaho percussion.

"Dicks hamburgers" hmmm.. yes I think I got a splash there once... :X

Seattle: You have much bigger GC's. Donn Bennetts, and music 6000 (?). That's almost paradise compared to the eastern half. Not to mention, you have B.C. to the north with lots of stuff, and Portland to the south. I have no issue with Seattle, except I can't fit in to the Bellvue area. They have cars there that cost more than my house.

Last edited:
Todd,

I heard the show in St. Pete was amazing and you were on point as usual. Everybody that I spoke with said you couldn't beat the ticket price of $10.00 and get a better show anywhere. One thing that was mentioned quite a bit was how incredibly crisp and clear the sound quality was. My buddy said your drums sliced through the air like a knife and your bass drum shook the place up. I have seen some brief video clips that my friends shot and it definately looked like a fun night.

Were you able to meet anyone from the DrummerWorld forums that night? We have quite a few members from the area.

Hopefully I will catch you guys next time around.

Peace!

'There is a small drum shop in Sand Point, but he charges out the wazoo for "vintage" stuff.'

Chris's shop in Sandpoint is in his house and is fairly well stocked. He's also a fine technician and respected instructor. His prices seem fair, but I'm not in the market much except for heads, sticks, etc., and prices for those commodities are better on the internet or at the wholesale shops (2 in Coeur d Alene).

Dicks Hamburgers... Yes! The 'diner' of my very first eating experience here in the Inland Empire (back in 1972). Dicks sold stock and went public in the late 1980's so they might expand their incredably successful biz. The stock flailed like a drowning rat and the only shop they opened with the money raised in the stock offering was in Arizona (I think) failed. The stock became worthless and was sold to an upstart, Labor Ready. Made many millions out of nothing at all. Burgers to Bracero's.

intheruff--

Thanks. I don't need anything big and expensive----just hoping to break even, baby!

spleen--

Wow, thanks for the compliments! I'm really happy that the MD interview was enough for you to plunk down your hard earned cash on the dvd. I'm quite flattered! I hope you continue to enjoy it and add some new concepts to your playing and thinking. Thanks again, man.

That Guy--

It was a good night. Over 10 thousand people, I overheard. I just had a few personal guests after the show and didn't run into any folks from here that night. Sorry you missed it.

intheruff and trkdrmr---let's keep things nice here...and not argue about what we feel correct pricing should be! Let's not let an argument erupt here.

Off to San Jose at one million o'clock in the morning for my last clinic of the year....and I'm off for a month!

Cheers-
Todd

Hi Todd,

Old timer here. I have been checking you out on You-Tube and I really enjoy your playing. Let me also say that I read your posts and appreciate the great feedback you give to the forum members.

As a matter of fact I was so impressed with the clips I have seen of your DVD that I ordered one for myself. Can't wait to get it and thanks again.

Pete

spleen--

Wow, thanks for the compliments! I'm really happy that the MD interview was enough for you to plunk down your hard earned cash on the dvd. I'm quite flattered! I hope you continue to enjoy it and add some new concepts to your playing and thinking. Thanks again, man.

Todd--one thing you've inspired me to do is revisit some rudiments from my drum corps days and think about different ways to orchestrate them on the kit and make musical use of them. I think I'd overlooked the usefulness of flam-intense rudiments in fills (thinking they were often "too busy") but I like the way you talk about using them to add "density"--it sort of gives me a fresh perspective and I'm excited to see what this does to my playing.

BTW, I also had the pleasure to study with Ian Froman and Skip Hadden at Berklee, circa 1987-88--nice to hear you mention their names!

Thanks again for the inspiration man--I look forward to checking out more of your work!

spleen

Todd, forgot to ask, what kind of muffling are you using on your bass drums. The smaller Pearl kit seems to have none while the larger Masterworks kit sounds just right. Heads? Remo, correct?

2bsticks--

Thanks for the kind words, Pete! I hope you enjoy the DVD and get a lot out of it. Your feedback is always appreciated.

spleen--

Thanks again, my man. I'm happy to hear you're revisiting some "old ideas" and making use of them on the kit. It definitely does add some "density" and a slightly different dimension to somewhat standard sounding things. And those things can be useful in creating shades and fulness in general kit playing.

I just had a party at the house during PASIC and was honored to have Skip Hadden as one of my guests--and we got to play together in the drum room. It had been over 20 years! As well, I saw Ian Froman for the first time in 20 years at the MD Fest---about 5 minutes before I began my segment. A cosmic trip indeed--and it was great to catch up with him later in the day. Both were very different players and teachers, and I learned much from them. Sounds like you had positive experiences too.
Thanks again!

stillgroovin--

I talk a little bit about the bass drum in the gear section on disc 2 of the DVD. I play the 18" jazz bass drum wide open with no muffling. For the 22" I like a 6" hole in the front head with a pillow in the bass drum. For more "rock" stuff I go for punch and spike in the sound. I want clear definition, especially with more complex patterns. I don't understand guys who play arenas with big open bass drums--unless they want their bass drum to sound like a bass guitar and ring for 10 seconds with each hit. An arena (or any big room with a big PA) is already going to sound huge and reverby....so I go with an old school pillow for definition and spike.

OK. Finally home....and have a much needed month off!

Cheers-
Todd

Have a good break Todd, I'd say you've earned it. I think you've flown more miles in the past month than I have in a lifetime.

Hey Todd, I really (really) dig your drumming and you can be sure I'll be at the next drum clinic or Styx concert in Toronto.

I was listening to the remake of Blue Collar Man on Big Bang Theory (amazing covers by the way) and I was wondering how you got that really fat, deep snare sound (I'm not quite sure if that's how one would describe it, but it's along those lines).

By the way isn't the Styx keyboardist from around Toronto?

Back