Best Ride Cymbal?

I agree. I've used a A. Zildjian Ping Ride for the last 20 years for all my Rock and Big Band gigs.

The only bad thing about it is that i dont have one!

Im still using my 22" A Medium ride, which is also pretty nice, but not that amazing.

Okay, now that everyone's chiming in with their favorite cymbals, regardless of the original post...forget what everyone else says and get yourself a 24" K Light Ride. Make sure it's a lighter one, so you get more variety of sounds and more complexity. I can play dry, wet, clicky, pingy, EVERYTHING on this cymbal! Don't believe me? Try one out for yourself!

Oh, and they're really expensive, so if you can...

V V V V V

I think its a general consensus amongst drummers that theyre favorite drums, or cymbals or whatever, is the ones they are playing on or the ones they wish they were playing on.

that being said go try some out and find one you like, and then as many have said before buy used.

Paiste Signature 22" Power Ride or
Zildjian Custom A Ping Ride 22"

There you go!

The 21" AA Rock Ride that Chad Smith from RHCP uses has a nice sound to it.

Ive got a Zildjian k dry ride 20 inch...very deep fades quick, not much afterring...thats why i bought it...doesent sound all distorted...each individual stroke sounds clean...problem is vary small bell...almost hard to hit it clean

Remember that ALL cymbals, drums, bells, whatever, are going to sound somewhat different in GC or wherever you play them than they will at home or anywhere else because of acoustics. Playing a Sweet Ride in a room full of cymbals will sound much different than in your den, bedroom or whatever. You get the point.

I'm not one to toot my own horn but, I am the best ride cymbal. Yes, ME!

In all seriousness it's personal taste. I love my 24" Paiste Giant Beat and it sounds like greatest to me

Last edited:
My personal fave ride is the Paiste 2002 22" Ride. I think this has that classic sound from Bonham, Paice and Moon and others. Personally I just thought it had the perfect mix of volume, ping and wash that I liked.

The 24" Paiste Giant Beat that LM201 mentioned is another good example. I just like the 2002 22" a little better. I have also used the 20" Giant Beat as a ride and really liked that too, although the ping wasn't as defined for my tastes.

Wish I could afford that Copeland model that others have mentioned, but then I'd probably be too scared to play out with it for fear of damage. Such a sweet looking ride.

This is what I have now and I am blown away

SABIAN 22 HH ROCK RIDE
SABIAN 22 AAX METAL RIDE
PAISTE 22 signature POWER RIDE
PAISTE 22 REFLECTOR BELL RIDE ( IROM MAIDEN MODEL )
PAISTE 22 ALPHA METAL RIDE

I too am a fan of the first one on your list. If only I could afford it. **sigh** Someday. ;-)

I was going to get a 21" sweet ride because that is the cymbal my idol Louie Bellson uses but when I tried it I didn't like it. Of course I can't play it like he can. I really like the Signature rides. But just because I do doesn't mean you will.

To my ear the 21" Sweet ride sucks, used as a ride, but it makes a damn fine sounding crash cymbal. I haven't found my nirvana ride yet, but I'm fairly happy with my Sabian Hand Hammered 21" raw bell dry ride. (there's a mouthful)

I played the Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Ride the other day...
I swear, the instant I get enough money I am buying that thing and making love to it.

It had the darkness that I love about K's, but a tad bit louder and more able to project, a sweet bell, and it's actually very crash-able, and it's just smooth.
I love it, but that's me.
:p

I've got a 21" Sweet Ride myself and a A Zildjian & Cie Vintage ride (they are discontinued now as of a year ago). The Sweet ride is a nice medium ride, and I use it in everything from jazz combos, big bands, to alternative rock. It has a big sound which took a while to get used to (it's 21" instead of the usual 20" I had always played). However, it can be quite musical, although it stays a little on the bright side. The new Armands are better though, they have a warmer tone. They have everything you could want in a ride cymbal. They never wash out, they have a clear bell, and they can be crashed. Although, apparently most of you people like the heavy metal slabs labeled as ride cymbals these days. Look into the HHX Groove Ride as well, nice warm musical sound here with a lot of versatility. It you are just looking for something to make a loud noise, I would say the Sabian Universal Ride, it's bright, crisp, but not a complete anvil like say the Paragon ride.

I know they are cousins basically, but still.

LOL, actually, Sabian is an abbreviation for SAlly, BIlly, and ANn. I forget the exact relation, but they were the children of one the big-cheeses at Zildjian...anyone know what I m talkin bout? Sorry, I like the RUDE line from Paiste. Its never let me down, but I havent really had to change cause the the things too damn durable...When it breaks, I ll have an excuse...

Sally, Billy, and Andy are Robert Zildjian's children. Robert was Armand's brother. Now those three have kids now, so there is a giant Zildjian family over at Sabian, while Craigie and Debbie Zildjian are the only family members (although there is Craigie's daughter Samantha) left at Avedis Zildjian Cymbal Co. A company that has prided itself on a family business now has no heir.

Sally, Billy, and Andy are Robert Zildjian's children. Robert was Armand's brother. Now those three have kids now, so there is a giant Zildjian family over at Sabian, while Craigie and Debbie Zildjian are the only family members (although there is Craigie's daughter Samantha) left at Avedis Zildjian Cymbal Co. A company that has prided itself on a family business now has no heir.

Ah..is'nt Samantha the heir? they got rid of that only the first born SON can know the family secret recipe for pies when he told Robert .Thats wy they split is'nt it?(please correct me if it was a different issue).

Back