Evans - EMAD series

1Rhythmic

Hello fellow drummers,

Recently i had an unpleasant surprise, when my 22'' clear yamah stock ambasador bass head was totally teared off as my drum teacher was playing a solo. The pedal head cut through the head and went inside the drum... the amazing is the fact that neither me or my teacher is a hard hitter and the head was mid tuned. Lol? Anyway enough of this...

This forces me to seek a new head (as i can't live withoug playing my drums!)
That for i opened this thread to analyse the Evans - EMAD drum head series. Not only for me but this should help and other drummers who are looking around.

Personally, i seek a head that will make my 22'' birch bass as loud as it can. Nothing more specific than that, as i want it to *BOOM*!! My style is funk & metal (Yeah lol strange combination of taste).

So i would appreciate if anyone with experience could analyse the characteristics of the EMAD, EMAD 2 , GMAD.

Thanks

I use an EMAD2 on my birch kick and it sounds fantastic. I use the largest damping ring and a little moongel close to the middle as well as a Evan dual pad. Its got good punch to it and sounds super deep.....I have no reason to change as its the sound I want!

The head has a single Evans kick pad included so if you don't use double you don't have to buy another pad.......I suspect thats why your first head failed, the reinforcement will help lots!

Personally, i seek a head that will make my 22'' birch bass as loud as it can. Nothing more specific than that, as i want it to *BOOM*!! My style is funk & metal (Yeah lol strange combination of taste).

So i would appreciate if anyone with experience could analyse the characteristics of the EMAD, EMAD 2 , GMAD.

Thanks

In my experience the EMAD is not as loud as a Remo Powerstroke 3. If you want boom I would go with a P3 with minimal muffling tuned to meduim tension with the reso tuned a bit lower. This should give you nice loud attack with just enough boom.

EMAD heads are nice, definitely check it out!

Aquarian super kick t2 are, in my opinion, much better. So much cannonfire-like sound it's epic.

i have had the emad. and the super kick 1 (i prefer single ply heads, they are louder and more sensitive)

I prefered the emad. it was more boomy. its not like a gross sustain. it just had a big boom while the super kick was much more defined but still nice.

Now i have the GMAD and it blows both of them out. its more deeper. and much more powerful. and since its thicker its stronger too. Take the GMAD!

PS: I also have a 22 birch bass drum

Personally, i seek a head that will make my 22'' birch bass as loud as it can.

Stay away from EMAD if you want it LOUD !!!

EMAD is a (very) muffled head, very dead sounding...
Give Remo Powerstroke 3 a try.

emad isnt that muffled. especially since you can choose the rings. powersonic is what is insanely muffled.

but i would agree that powerstroke 3 on both sides would prolly be very loud. thats my next bass drum head test.

Lol wow....funny story you have there. hahah.

Anyways...I've been using an EMAD on my 22" bass for a while now. I like it alot. It's muffled, but it's still pretty loud. Gives you that good "thud" sound.

Alright, thanks for the replies.

Today i got my new head :D An EMAD 2. I was thinking of GMAD but they didn't have it in stock so i decided to get the EMAD 2. I'm soooo excited with it. I was a bit afraid that 2 plies may mute the drum too much, but in fact, the head is amazing. Although i haven't tried any other heads than my yamaha stock ambasador which got owned by my power double iron cobra :D

The only change i did this time, was to remove my old big pillow from inside and put a smaller pillow with a small carpet on it. It catches less space, allowing more air to travel from one head to the other making it louder, while it also filters the sound with the carpet killing overtones.

The sound is superb, exactly what i was looking for. Loud, aggresive. With or without the rings, the sound is pure, no ringing. No rings attached= Loud and open sound. Rings attached= Deep and focused!

I just hope it will stay as it is and not have any problems (I've heard before of EMAD series having issues such as rings falling etc...) Cheers to the drumming community!!

you might not need it due to it being 2 ply. but i would recommend getting some sort of patch for it.

you can get them so they enhance the attack or ones that dont change that sound at all. but most all patches will give your drum added protection, depending on how hard you like to hit

I have the EMAD 2 on my kick and I have been subbing at a church that has the Aquarian Super Kick 2 on it (both DW kits).

I like them both. I have no muffling in my drum at all and the small ring on the EMAD 2.

The church set has the DW dog bone pillow in it.

My bass drum is "boomier" than the church's, but the church's has more focus.

Tone wise they are about the same.

Both good heads.

I think what sold me on the EMAD was advertising. They had the Pearl Forum bass drum with the EMAD's on both sides and it just blew me away!

Good advertising Evans!

i have an EMAD head and it great for a tight punchy, but gut wrenchingly low sound. If you like a bit of boom, it may not be worth getting an EMAD, cos all the Externally Mounted Adjustable Dampening will be put to the side! Saying that, the thin felt ring is meant to allow more boomy ring, but tighten the response and lower the tone. I would say try iy out, but it is a bit of an investment, mine cost a lot! in my experience, Remo Powerstroke 3 is loud, got a boom to it and is durable and cheaper, just an alternative

EMAD or Super Kick 1

Hi,
I have been using the EMAD single ply head on my 22" Oak Custom kit and love it. But again the plastic ring cracked after a few months. I was thinking of trying the Aquarian Super Kick 1 and I am hoping it is similar in sound?

I did use a Super Kick 2 in the past but it's a bit too thick and dead for my taste.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Back