Ian Mosley

SimSalaBim

Let's give this legend a credit that he deserves. A great drummer of one of the best ambiental rock bands Marillion. Great style, great chops, has a unique style of filling a lot with triplets and offcourse a catchy smile that just can't get of his face. You just see that he has the time of his life when he is behind the set. Awesome drummer.

totally agree - he has a great and totally unique style. When I first started listening to Marillion, I first thought his clock was awful - it sounded like he was speeding up and slowing down. It took me a bit to realize though that he was actually doing a bunch of implied metric modulations with triplets and such. He's cooled off quite a bit over the last few albums, but the earlier Marillion albums were filled with quite a lot of adventurous drumming.

He's also the quintessential example of a guy who doesn't need fancy new gear to sound good. He still records and tours with the same power tom Artstar II kit he's had for like 20 years.

He's one of my biggest influences! I couldn't believe the cymbal FX stuff he plays when I first heard it on albums like "Cluthing At Straws" & "Brave". It works so well with the Marillion movement-pieces.

I should add he's also a lovely guy. I met him at a Zildjian event once & got talking - he ended up inviting me down to the soundcheck on the next tour ("This Strange Engine") to show me some cymbal tricks! Incredible. A true gent.

Totally agree. I have followed Ian since the "Misplaced Childhood" album. I've stolen alot of chops from him.

From Ian Mosley:

Personally, I still don’t really know what progressive means. In some people’s minds if a piece of music is over 10 minutes long, it automatically gets the label of being progressive. I always enjoy playing arrangements kind of in a classical format, which is in movements. To me, music is either good or bad; it doesn’t matter what the label is. The kind of progressive label that I don’t like is the one that involves lyrics that quote dancing gnomes, Stonehenge and fairytales, etc......

...great album Misplaced Childhood + live album Real to Reel!!!

Hi guys...does anybody have "This is the 21st Century" drumscore?? I began my drum studies last march and I am still fresh in this "business"...haha...please...

He's one of my biggest influences! I couldn't believe the cymbal FX stuff he plays when I first heard it on albums like "Cluthing At Straws" & "Brave". It works so well with the Marillion movement-pieces.

I should add he's also a lovely guy. I met him at a Zildjian event once & got talking - he ended up inviting me down to the soundcheck on the next tour ("This Strange Engine") to show me some cymbal tricks! Incredible. A true gent.

I'm a fan since misplaced childhood. He's also one of my biggest influences. I'd love to some vids on drummerworld.com. But besides I love his work not only within the Marillion-Surrounding but also on Steve Hackets Highly Strung (incredible fills!) and he also drummed on Sally Oldfield Records. Anyway, a cool drummer!

The man himself on the drumkit! I like that cymbal set-up...

Attachments

• lan Mosley.jpg
    lan Mosley.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4,279
Definitely one of my Top Ten influences, even since Misplaced Childhood in 1985. Got to see them open for Rush on the Power Windows tour, where they played 99% of the album straight through!

Got to meet the whole band a few years later at The Chance in Poughkeepsie, NY, and was keen to talk drums with Ian. He told me the crazy drum pattern in "Incubus" was a paradiddle-diddle(that's the one broken up between a left side ride, right side ride, kick, hi-hat, and toms. The first time I ever heard a quick double-stroke roll on bass drums was at the end of that song on "Real To Reel".

And, for the time Fish was in the band, he was behind a big black Yamaha RC set, which is what I had at the time. Loved his work with Renaissance and Steve Hackett, too!

I definitely nicked a few things from him, like the triplet tom rolls with the offbeat cymbal crashes, as well as the tom ruffs into a crash.

Dan

Back