Evans new Heavyweight snare head.

I am quite interested in the new Heavyweight heads Evans has brought to the table, more importantly though the snare batter head. Has anyone used it on their own snare? How is it?

2 plies of 10 mill is indeed heavyweight. I would only caution the beating your hands may take on such a durable head. At the price however, $17.95, if it lasts it will be worth the money. I have used the single ply 14 mill and it is tough

I am torn between the Evans and Remo Control Sound X. In school i dented every snare head i played on the drum set and just recently broke an Evans ST Dry head, so i am looking for durable head.

The Controlled Sound X is thinner than the ST (12 mil with dot opposed to two 7.5mil plies). Maybe you're thinking of the Emperor X or Black X which are both two plies of 10mil with a dot.

If you're breaking heads like that, you might want to check your technique, the angle of your snare, or try replacing heads more often? I'd wager it's that second one though.

Yea i am changing my technique a little bit. It was weird though when i broke my previous head. I hit it and it split from one side of the shell to other. I have never seen a head do that before. I have a Triple Threat Aquarian head on there now, but even that is getting beat up.

Yea i am changing my technique a little bit. It was weird though when i broke my previous head. I hit it and it split from one side of the shell to other. I have never seen a head do that before. I have a Triple Threat Aquarian head on there now, but even that is getting beat up.

Do you tune extremely high? How many lugs are on your snare drum 8 or 10?

I just put one on a 6½" Supra, and it sound very much like my favorite Super Tough batter. The reverse dot helps accentuates the harmonics for a surprisingly lively sound, and the response is pretty normal for a 'thick' head. It wouldn't be suited for orchestral or very delicate work, although I was getting some lovely closed rolls from it the other day! (Hear it on Al's new polka medley - due someday soon - which starts and ends with the rolls!)

I look forward to trying it on tour on my Black Beauty.

Bermuda

You might want to check out an Aquarian Hi-Energy head also. They are almost indestructible. In the 90's they used to run an ad with Nick Menza (I think, it was a long time ago) playing one with a knife stuck in it.

just got my heavyweight in mail today. Sounds great hope it holds up better than one of evans EC2 i had on toms . 3 weeks is all i got out of them.

I just put one on a 6½" Supra, and it sound very much like my favorite Super Tough batter. The reverse dot helps accentuates the harmonics for a surprisingly lively sound, and the response is pretty normal for a 'thick' head. It wouldn't be suited for orchestral or very delicate work, although I was getting some lovely closed rolls from it the other day! (Hear it on Al's new polka medley - due someday soon - which starts and ends with the rolls!)

I look forward to trying it on tour on my Black Beauty.

Bermuda

I think i am going to go to guitar center within the next few days to see if they have one, because im afraid that at my next show the snare head might break. That would be embarrassing if i didnt have another one on hand.

With only a few exceptions, snare drums have a dynamic choke point. No matter how hard you hit the drum beyond that point, it doesn't get any louder. Moreover, approaching that point, much tonality is lost. Surprisingly, you get much more volume out of a thinner head than a thick one, & generally better low tuning ability too. Strange eh?

With only a few exceptions, snare drums have a dynamic choke point. No matter how hard you hit the drum beyond that point, it doesn't get any louder. Moreover, approaching that point, much tonality is lost. Surprisingly, you get much more volume out of a thinner head than a thick one, & generally better low tuning ability too. Strange eh?

Not really strange when you think about it. I think sometimes people mis-understand when some famous drummer claims to be a "hard hitter". It's all relative, and with good technique, you can hit a drum really hard, not hurt yourself, or the head. A well placed whip-stroke will sound better and be louder than bashing the drum with a caveman style death grip.

I can't speak about the Evans Heavyweight, but I did just get an Aquarian head that is also two 10-mil plies, and I was a little surprised at how it sounded for such a heavy head.

I didn't love it on my walnut shell snare but it sounds really nice on my COB Supraphonic.

Back