Having a little problem with anger issues

darkstar442

Ok this doesnt have to do with drums. i have had this problem all my life but now its getting harder and harder to control. i have a very very bad anger problem. i havnt let it out in about 3 years and i wasnt close to being my angriest when it happend. my friend got me mad so i really dont remember doing it but i picked him up off the ground by the neck(he is bigger than me) and threw him down. when i get angry i really dont feel pain and half the time i dont realize what im doing. its just getting really hard to stop my anger from coming out. im getting mad a lot easier to. not many people know about this problem not even my parents or brother. im just wondering what to do. i also have depression. its not very bad now but i used to have suicidle thoughts(thank god i dont anymore). but ill sometimes just sit in my room for a long time. few people know i have this too, my parents dont. i just need advise as you can tell

Last edited:
Hello, mate.

My suggestion is to channel or manage your anger into your drums, it will be the best therapy, play your favourite song or drum solo until you feel relief and distressed.

All the Best & take care,

seriously man you need to tell someone, you know that you have a problem and its good that you know that. go to a therapist. figure out how to control this anger. try different calming exercises. ex/ meditation, yoga etc. those may help these may not but you need to tell someone before something happens. dont feel scared to tell someone its obviously not your fault. it may be biological, genetics, a disease, but you will never know unless you see someone about it. my honest opinion is see a doctor, therapist or someone with training to help you.

as iwilliams said channel that anger somewhere if you can. it doesn't need to be drums or even music for that matter, just find something that is calming to you and explore that.

as for the depression: see a doctor, get some anti-depressants

Ok this doesnt have to do with drums. i have had this problem all my life but now its getting harder and harder to control. i have a very very bad anger problem. i havnt let it out in about 3 years and i wasnt close to being my angriest when it happend. my friend got me mad so i really dont remember doing it but i picked him up off the ground by the neck(he is bigger than me) and threw him down. when i get angry i really dont feel pain and half the time i dont realize what im doing. its just getting really hard to stop my anger from coming out. im getting mad a lot easier to. not many people know about this problem not even my parents or brother. im just wondering what to do. i also have depression. its not very bad now but i used to have suicidle thoughts(thank god i dont anymore). but ill sometimes just sit in my room for a long time. few people know i have this too, my parents dont. i just need advise as you can tell

Bud, I know what you are going through so please go get professional help ASAP. Not knowing how angry you can get is not safe, and you really don't want to find out too late either.
Do it.

I d suggest to sit down, when you re feeling chilled out, reflect on things that have happened, what caused them to happen, and what you did when you realized that it was seeming a little "out of the ordinary". Make a list or a mental note of it..

Follow me? OK... I gather that you didnt realize what you were doing till it was already happening..And I take it you dont want to hurt anyone and the fact that you mentioned this to a bunch of drummers that you dont know says that you re asking for more than advice. ..

If you cant talk to your parents then find someone that can hook you up with a person that can kinda explain to you what might be goin on. Hell, lie to your parents and maybe say that you dont feel good and when you get to the Dr. tell him whats goin on. He might be able to help you figure some shit out, know what I mean?

If you need help, dont hesitate to get it. We re just a bunch of people that play drums and happen to have found a great site to talk with other people that play drums. Trust me, I ve been through some shit and this isnt the place to get help, I love it here, but you need something better than this. Good luck man, talk to someone close. Maybe your brother first?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need help, dont hesitate to get it. We re just a bunch of people that play drums and happen to have found a great site to talk with other people that play drums. Trust me, I ve been through some shit and this isnt the place to get help, I love it here, but you need something better than this. Good luck man, talk to someone close. Maybe your brother first?

I agree when i'm not arguing with my sister i usually like to talk to her about problems.

Go see a psychologist, the hardest thing you'll ever have to face as a man (assuming you are a man, if not then sorry) is getting help. That's why men die before women on average. You'll feel much better once you do.

MFB had a couple of years of anger management and he also had counselling for various other things a year or two after that. I would suggest exploring these channels.

Hey,

The advice that everyone is saying about going to see someone will help, you'll be so relieved after your first session that you can just talk about it out loud. I bet you already felt better after just typing out what you've told us.

I really do suggest you tell your folks, this too will help to lift the burden. Do you write a diary? If not then you should, its such a cliché but it really works, its just channeling your anger out in a different form

Hope it all gets better for you,

Yours

Adam

Why are you angry? If you identify the source of the problem, the course of action usually makes itself clear.
If it's a chemical imbalance, then you probably can't answer the question and you may need meds.
If you can answer the question without any doubts, that would be helpful to you in understanding your anger and learning to recognize when it's triggered. You'll need to somehow learn to not be taken hostage by your automatic responses, and detach yourself from the anger.

I think this situation calls for expert advice. I deal with depression, but I'm glad to say that mine is only very light, and I've never had suicidal thoughts... drumming seems to help a lot of time for me (although sometimes it just makes things worse, because every once in a while I'll feel I suck at drumming too and then I just get more discouraged). But I don't know about your case, it seems a bit more extreme. You need to talk to someone who knows about these things in depth and how to solve them, and the internet isn't the right place to look for one of those poeple I'm afraid to say.

As others have said i would suggest therapy, i went to a therapist it was really good it helped a whole lot but make sure you can get along with your therapist (<--very important)

Chill out, play some Dead Can Dance, get some Management class in your schedule, and try to take on a more positive perspective.

i really dont know what causess it. i refuse to take meds a coulple of my friends took them for depression and i dont want to explain the rest. monica smp all the way haha unfortunatly thats about the only time im not mad at all. i do constantly listen to death metal but if i try to listen to anything else it gets me mad i dont know why, infact death metal can calm me but it never gets me very angry. when i get depress i hold it back and it turns into anger. i know i shouldnt ask here or on the internet but i just have trouble talking to anyone about so just talking here helped if that makes sence.

I second the therapist. It might not seem like it would help that much to talk to someone, but psychologically it works wonders!

Darkstar:

seek professional help and under no circumstances self medicate. There is a variety of advice on this thread - ignore it all unless it is written by a professional or unless it tells you to go seek professional help. These are problems which plague many of us and, once acknowledged, need to be acted upon. You have taken therfirst step by stating your problem on these pages - now, go see someone who can help.

May you find peace my drumming brother!

Paul

Darkstar:

seek professional help and under no circumstances self medicate. There is a variety of advice on this thread - ignore it all unless it is written by a professional or unless it tells you to go seek professional help. These are problems which plague many of us and, once acknowledged, need to be acted upon. You have taken therfirst step by stating your problem on these pages - now, go see someone who can help.

May you find peace my drumming brother!

Paul

I agree with this...and please! lay off the pot....it might chill you out for now, but it ll only compound the underlying issues you have going on. I thought that it was a help, and after 17/18+ yrs of escaping the problems by drowning them out I realize now that I probably(definitely) made the wrong decision. Now I m 30 and finally walking outta the "fog"... And its not too cool....Take this with a grain of salt, whatever that means---or just do what you gotta do. Good luck either way though

Darkstar
You made some good friends here today and we care about you. Go get the help and let us know how your doing.

I agree when i'm not arguing with my sister i usually like to talk to her about problems.

Go see a psychologist, the hardest thing you'll ever have to face as a man (assuming you are a man, if not then sorry) is getting help. That's why men die before women on average. You'll feel much better once you do.

That was my case until she died this summer do to a freak accident :'(

Back