26" KICK BEATER

strickland306

I'm getting a great Ludwig kit with a 26" kick tomorrow. It's my first 26 and I wonder if a standard size beater will be long enough? Any suggestions?

I use a standard DW beater on my 26's, and it's just fine height-wise.

It's near the end of the shaft, but it hits square in the center, and there's still a little left if I wanted it higher than center.

I tried a ton of different beaters, and it depends on what you want to hear, and what feels good under your foot, but the DW beater is still pretty light, but it has a larger, flatter surface for more contact in the impact area, over other beaters out there.

(For me) it gets a more solid sound out of the drum, but doesn't make it "overpowering" compared to the sound of the rest of the kit.

KickMuffleSide.jpg

Have fun with your new kit!!

It's near the end of the shaft, but it hits square in the center,

I thought I remembered that it's best to strike the BD just a little off center to get the best tone, no?

Not all pedals have the same "altitude" at the pivot point. I play Yamaha FDDD single pedal and Off-Set double pedal, both on 26" kicks, and both pedals work great. Have plenty of reach. Over the span of several years, I've collected 10 or so beaters, of different lengths, materials, etc., so if you find what you have isn't makin' you happy, it's certainly an easy hurdle to overcome. And changing out the beater (to get a different sound out of your kick) is way quicker (and easier) than changing out heads. Less costly too, when you start talkin' 26". I love my Luddie 26x14. Had one before. Traded it. Went 6 months without. Have another one now. Have fun and good luck with yours.......and we demand pictures.

Not all pedals have the same "altitude" at the pivot point.

That's a good point, the Speed King is a lot shorter than most pedals these days, and it's shorter than the Eliminators I have.

But then again, it worked for Bonham....

Beater in the center, above or below center.....play around and see where it sounds best (as usual haha!).

Mine is probably NOT in the exact center...it's just where the drum sounds great and the action feels really good.

Thanks again for all your help. Got 'em New Years Day and been messing around with 'em. Standard beater works fine, just shy of center. Harry, I will post photos soon! Thanks!

...the DW beater is still pretty light...
DW beater is pretty light? It is pretty hard to find a heavier beater on the market. Axis Sonic Hammers and the skateboard wheel beaters are the only ones that come to mind that might maybe be heavier than the DW beater.

DW beater is pretty light? It is pretty hard to find a heavier beater on the market. Axis Sonic Hammers and the skateboard wheel beaters are the only ones that come to mind that might maybe be heavier than the DW beater.

It's a bit heavier compared to some, but overall (compared to the or 8 or 10 beaters I tested) I didn't find it 'heavy'.
I even place a Tama beater balance weight directly under the beater head to get the feel I want.

If I was playing a NON-26" bass drum, then the beater might seem a little heavy (or be too much) and the Pearl beater that came with the Eliminator pedal I have would be just fine on a 24, down to an 18" bass drum.

The DW is the one that gave me the amount of punch and tone I wanted to hear at all dynamic levels. The drum sounds full with soft playing, and strong with really nice punch and a natural sound under heavy playing.
So for a 26" bass drum (that this thread is about), it's a good beater to check into.

The new beater on the Trick Dominator I saw is pretty crazy. It's all metal (chrome), round, and slides up a and down. Seems kinda cool, but there's no way you'd want to use it without a good kick patch! Yikes!

With a 26", it's nice to use a nice full sounding beater instead of the lightweight plastic tiny ones. I recommend any of the classic felt round beaters for that big warm full sound.

Back