Song lyrics and other cloaked references

The death of Paul thing, yeah, I read that it started in a magazine or news paper or something, and turned into an inside joke as the Beatles perpetuated it with "hints" throughout the years.

I'm sure everyone already knows that The Who's Pinball Wizard was about rebellion and cultural revolution. My brain's not quite working yet... that's all I can think of.

P.S: That thing about Abbey Road, I recently saw a docu where they said that was purely accidental. They had to walk across the street several times taking a bunch of pictures each time. So this one take Paul decided to take off his shoes because they hurt or something and it just so happened that they were all perfectly in step except the barefooted Paul. Something was just not quite right in most of them (blurs, pedestrians, lighting, etc). Since everything worked out with the barefoot shot, and they liked the striking imagery of the only barefooted person being out of step, that's the one they used. They even showed some of the pictures from the other takes. It kinda bummed me out because I always liked that myth. :)

Last edited:
Wasn't there some garbled talk at the end of ... was it A Day In the Life? or was it I Am the Walrus? ... which was supposed to be "Turn me on dead man" if played backwards and was purportedly proof that Paul was dead?

Then we have Jimi in Purple Haze singing "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" ;-)

Wasn't there some garbled talk at the end of ... was it A Day In the Life? or was it I Am the Walrus? ... which was supposed to be "Turn me on dead man" if played backwards and was purportedly proof that Paul was dead?

That's a good one. Didn't CCR have a hit with "There's a bathroom on the right"?

It was at the end of Strawberry Fields. Lennon says "Raspberry sauce" but people heard "I buried Paul".

A couple more: The Wizard by Black Sabbath was either written about the band's dealer or Gandalf from Lord of the Rings.

Have you Ever seen rain? by CCR was written to Tom Fogerty after he quit the band.

One of my favorite cryptic references is from "Dream On" by Aerosmith. "Every time I look in the mirror, all these lines on my face are gettin' clearer".

And lastly Walk On The Wild Side by Lou Reed. It's about a transsexual hooker. I used to listen to the song growing up and I had no idea what I was listening to.

LOL Jon e ... John Fogerty is a helpful man :)

From Mondegreen Central:
The term "mondegreen" was coined by Sylvia Wright in a 1954 Atlantic article. As a child, young Sylvia had listened to a folk song that included the lines "They had slain the Earl of Moray/And Lady Mondegreen." As is customary with misheard lyrics, she didn't realize her mistake for years. The song was not about the tragic fate of Lady Mondegreen, but rather, the continuing plight of the good earl: "They had slain the Earl of Moray/And laid him on the green."
The ants are my friend, they're blowing in the wind ...

Everyone knows that You're So Vain was written about Warren Beatty, don't they?

Raspberry sauce ... I buried Paul ... someone obviously failed the aural ink blot test!

But he didn't actually say that. However, it was misheard by so many people that, as a joke, he sang it that way at a convert. I grin every time I'm reminded of that story. I love it when artists goof on their fans. :p

The guys I go to lunch and I were just talking about misunderstood lyrics. I mentioned "Hold me closer Tony Danza" (Hold me closer tiny dancer) and my other friend had always thought it was "Hold me close, I'm tired of dancing." Hilarious and coincidental.
Maybe we should start a thread just for misunderstood/confused lyrics.

The guys I go to lunch and I were just talking about misunderstood lyrics. I mentioned "Hold me closer Tony Danza" (Hold me closer tiny dancer) and my other friend had always thought it was "Hold me close, I'm tired of dancing." Hilarious and coincidental.
Maybe we should start a thread just for misunderstood/confused lyrics.

Just started it. You got anything?

One thing I've always wondered is why Paul giggles in one of the Beatles songs from Abbey Road.

During Maxwell's Silver Hammer he gets to the part where Maxwell is doing his lines as punishment and then he laughs.

Can anyone get me a story behind that?

One thing I've always wondered is why Paul giggles in one of the Beatles songs from Abbey Road.

During Maxwell's Silver Hammer he gets to the part where Maxwell is doing his lines as punishment and then he laughs.

Can anyone get me a story behind that?

I read that it was because John mooned him from the booth while he was recording vocals. Whether that's true or not, it still makes me giggle whenever he does.

Yeah, we all thought it was common knowlege that "You're So Vain" was about Warren Beatty. That's why I was very surprised about a year ago while watching a news special on TV where Carly Simon was saying to effect, "I never said it was about Warren Beatty...

Aparrently, during the time frame Carly wrote about, she had been dating Beatty, Mick Jagger and James Taylor, whom of course she eventually married. She held a private auction for charity, the winner getting the prize of Carly whispering in their ear the name. The winner (Warren Buffet was the winner, if I remember correctly) had to sign a disclaimer not to reveal.

During the report folks were going over lyrics looking for revealing clues:

"You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht, your hat strategically placed below one eye, your scarf it was apricot. You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte."

Gavotte is a sort of enthusiastic, straight or double time dance step, but with a slightly serious mood as discribed in the dictionary. Some were trying to hint / or just wonder if this was a veiled reference to Mick.

Carly would only reveal to the public that the first and last names of her "subject" contained the letters R and A. That doesn't help us, all three have that.

I was very surprised watching this, as I said earlier. I thought it was old news that this song was about Warren Beatty, but not so fast according to Carly Simon.

Last edited:
Right on Derek. It is generally accepted that she is singing about Beatty, but that doesn't mean it's the truth. I'll say this, I'll bet it wasn't James.

Yeah Larry, we're on the same page there. I wouldn't bet on J.T. being the subject of this song either.

Aparrently, during the time frame Carly wrote about, she had been dating Beatty, Mick Jagger and James Taylor, whom of course she eventually married. She held a private auction for charity, the winner getting the prize of Carly whispering in their ear the name. The winner (Warren Buffet was the winner, if I remember correctly) had to sign a disclaimer not to reveal.

Warren Buffet is a fellow Omaha resident. I'll go knock on his door and see if I can get it out of him. ;-)

She held a private auction for charity, the winner getting the prize of Carly whispering in their ear the name.
The winner (Warren Buffet was the winner, if I remember correctly) had to sign a disclaimer not to reveal.

Actually, it was Dick Ebersol (head honcho of NBC Sports) who won. :)

Warren Buffet is a fellow Omaha resident. I'll go knock on his door and see if I can get it out of him. ;-)

Fuzrock, change of plans.
Instead, kindly ask Mr. Buffet if he would be willing to buy all of us at DW new snare drums.
I'd say about a $1000 limit per member should do nicely. :-D

Blk Diamond, thanks for clarification on the winner. I'll wait patiently for my new snare drum from Mr. Buffett.

The Turn me on dead man backwards is from "Revolution #9" off the white album.

Actually, it was Dick Ebersol (head honcho of NBC Sports) who won. :)

Fuzrock, change of plans.
Instead, kindly ask Mr. Buffet if he would be willing to buy all of us at DW new snare drums.
I'd say about a $1000 limit per member should do nicely. :-D

I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking a Super Solid for myself.

The Turn me on dead man backwards is from "Revolution #9" off the white album.

Does it really work? Or is this just an urban legend? Anybody here heard it firsthand?

I think if you play "Stairway to Heaven" backwards you can hear some satanic stuff too, but I'm pretty sure it's completely coincidental and wasn't intentionally done.

Back