Show Me Your "Monster" Kits! (let's say... 7 piece and up)

You've inspired me. When I get home in two months or so, I'm going to try converting a 16inch floor tom to a bass drum using parts I already have. The kit will have 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch toms, 12 inch hats, and a piccolo snare. Most of the work will be on the floor tom, which needs to be repaired and reheaded. I'll keep you posted!

Very cool! There aren't many sets here that really stand out, but an 8-piece dwarf monster kit definitely would. Neat that you have all the parts on hand.

I would like to see your set before, as it currently exists, and then as a dwarf monster set. If you got an 18-inch drum, you could make it a double bass dwarf set, nine pieces. That's the sort of thing you'd send into Modern Drummer as kit of the month.

There are tutorials on this site about converting floor toms to bass drums. Look for them or we can point you to them.

Very cool! There aren't many sets here that really stand out, but an 8-piece dwarf monster kit definitely would. Neat that you have all the parts on hand.

I would like to see your set before, as it currently exists, and then as a dwarf monster set. If you got an 18-inch drum, you could make it a double bass dwarf set, nine pieces. That's the sort of thing you'd send into Modern Drummer as kit of the month.

There are tutorials on this site about converting floor toms to bass drums. Look for them or we can point you to them.

Haven't got an 18" tom currently. What I do have is an old Ludwig Classic 16" floor tom that I acquired without the reso head, hoop or lugs. So step one is getting matching lugs and an 8-slot hoop. eBay, here I come.

I'd been playing this drum as a suspended gong-style tom using a Pearl tom bracket. I'll redrill the leg mounts to coincide with this mount. Two of the legs will mount backwards (feet towards the batter head). I have a vintage "multi-clamp" that's little more than a piece of thin metal with two wingnut tighteners at either side - the clamp will bridge the legs, and create a platform for the pedal to clamp onto.

I'll throw a Yammie two-hole tom-mounting platform into the tom bracket, then clamp it to a rack tube to keep the drum from creeping. And Bob's your uncle, there we go.

We'll see what else I can get stuffed into this. I would love to use a firecracker-size snare as the primary on this one. But as I said, even the first steps on this are a few months away. My drums are at home in central Washington. I am in the Army, and deployed... so this little project exists only in my head for now...

DSCF1900.jpg

DSCF1901.jpg

DSCF1901.jpg

DSCF1912.jpg

DSCF1906.jpg

My friend Jody and his Sonor S Class Pro in Aqua Green. Now he has a 16 tom as well and the cymbals are clean. These pictures were the day of arrival. 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, double bass and side 10" sonor snare. It looks even meaner with the 8, 10, 12, 13 up front and 14, 16 on the side...I should grap a up to date pic of that. Enjoy.

8 MILLION dollars?! loll is this listing a joke xD

.....yeah but i mean come on, it comes with top of the line ZBT cymbals!! this guy doesn't buy cheap! other than the cheap JC Penny/Sears Drums.

hmmmmmm...... $8,000,000 indeed.

-Jonathan

Tama Starclassic Exotix I (maple with an outer ply of figured chestnut)- 8X10, 9X12, 11X13, 14X15, 16X18, 18X22. The SD is a Mapex Deep Forest Cherry.

DSCN0360-1.jpg

DSCN0364-1.jpg

DSCN0359-1.jpg

Here's pics of my mini-monster: Ddrum diatribe Dub birch kit in Cherry Satin:

2x 18x20 bass drums, 4x14 snare, 7x10, 7x12, 7x13, rack toms, 14x14, 14x16 floor toms and a refinished ddrum AMX 7x8rack tom.

I bought this kit as a "portable" gig kit so i wouldn't have to lug around my giant bubinga kit:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44494

It started out as a 5 piece, then i added the high tom. The other pieces i found on ebay over time, it just got out of control and the "portable" thing went out the window.
The cool thing is that the drums are like 4 ply birch, incredibly lightweight. I'd say all 4 rack toms together are as heavy as my 14" bubinga rack tom is by itself and my 20 inch birch bass drum is as heavy as my 16" bubinga floor tom, plus of course the rack system is about a quarter the mass of the big kit's, so it's a light load, just takes up space. It's also about half the weight of my Pearl Export 8 pc double bass kit with power toms that i used to have in the early 90's. The kit sounds amazing. Ddrum discontinued the series and replaced it with their current birch/ basswood line called Defiant, which uses cheaper parts. I think Ddrum finally realized that they were giving away these kits at ridiculous prices and then went the cheap route with their birch kits.

diatribedbl001.jpg

diatribedbl002.jpg

diatribedbl004.jpg

diatribedbl003.jpg

Last edited:
Here's pics of my mini-monster:

I bought this kit as a "portable" gig kit so i wouldn't have to lug around my giant bubinga kit:

I'll hand it to you Dios....you don't do things by half measures mate.
Lovely looking kit BTW. So, do we refer to this one as 'the little gig kit' then?

I'll hand it to you Dios....you don't do things by half measures mate.
Lovely looking kit BTW. So, do we refer to this one as 'the little gig kit' then?

Yeah. I mean the kit looks impressive in the pics but it's a lot smaller in person. Look at the 3rd and 4th pics.That's a standard sized 4x14" snare drum but it looks monstrous compared to the rest of the kit, lol. Plus the fact that it's on a rack that i customized the bar lengths and it actual sits on floorspace about the same as a normal sized 6 pc single bass kit.

just realised with my pics from last september i can add to this thread. just!

have since replaced the hats and china as some of you took a pic using everything i owned.

Attachments

• P1000301.JPG
    P1000301.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 5,699
  • P1000288.JPG
    P1000288.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 5,720
I just realized I haven't put up pics of my warlord!

9 piece set up with 11 cymbals and Pearl Icon Curved Rack

For info/pictures can be found here please check it out and comment on it!!

Since these pics have been taken I have felt the need to simplify my set up as much as possible and I will be posting updated pics on my thread shortly.

-Jonathan

Attachments

• Tama Warlord DW 10.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 10.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 5,468
  • Tama Warlord DW 11.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 11.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 5,839
  • Tama Warlord DW 9.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 9.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 5,575
  • Tama Warlord DW 6.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 6.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 5,702
  • Tama Warlord DW 19.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 19.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 5,761
  • Tama Warlord DW 28.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 28.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 5,535
  • Tama Warlord DW 15.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 15.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 5,452
very nice finish on those tamas man. ive allways loved tama's finishes, especially the Superstar and Starclassic finishes.

Hey I have this kit, and I'd like to know more about it. I'd like to buy some drums to match it.. but I can't cause I was told this is a limited kit but if you'd consider selling yours (super long shot) Please message me when you get a chance. or email me @ [email protected] Please write me!!!
I'd really appreciate it. This is the only kit like mine I can find on Google! Thanks,
Brad
Ps. or text me @ 832-371-7831 Thanks again!

Still tweaking the setup on this kit. Only had them a few weeks!

2003 Premier maple "Premier Series" kit.

8x10"
8x12"
9x13"
14x14"
16x16"
16x18"
18x22"
18x24"
7x14" 10ply maple custom snare

DSC_02952.jpg

Currently on "vacation" back home... here's my baby as she currently stands.

Attachments

• P1010265.jpg
    P1010265.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 4,974
  • P1010264.jpg
    P1010264.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 5,001
  • P1010262.jpg
    P1010262.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 4,979
  • P1010261.jpg
    P1010261.jpg