Travis Barker

check out this video of Travis and then look at some of the comments on the bottom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzXTGn3i58
more then one person calls Travis amazing. Why? There is absolutely nothing amazing about what he does in this clip. If they're calling him amazing based on this clip then that tells you quite a bit about how some young people overrate some drummers. I can only guess that his exaggerated movements are impressing them more than then his actual playing in this clip.

I can't stand him for calling himself a punk. I never heard Joe Strummer utter or write a word about Blink 182 when he spoke or wrote about punk bands of the nineties, etc. I just think those guys (and a lot of bands too {Good Charlotte}) never quite got the punk ethos and never will and unfortunately influenced a lot of kids into believing that punk is all about setting fire to poo, belching, showing your butt, and copping an oversexualized attitude about everything . . .
As far Barker's playing goes. He plays all the rudimentary kind of stuff well enough but as a true master: nah.

Travis is not on my list of amazing drummers. I honestly don't find his newer stuff better. There's too many people out there that can play to rap songs, it's not that hard in the first place.

I would never say that Travis Barker is an "outstanding", or even the "best" drummer, but I guess a lot of people who dislike this "Travis Barker Hype" do underrate him (yes, I said UNDERrate)

I mean, playing the drums is not about some hard licks or a gorgeous technique, it's about playing for the music, giving the listener a certain feeling, expressing emotions.
And unfortunately, a lot of people have forgotten this.

Travis Barker has no superspecial technique, he's also neither the fastest drummer nor the best technician. But he's able to bring the music he plays in the right way, let it sound good. A good example for this is Blink 182. When they had their old drummer Scott Raynor (until dude ranch), they weren't that popular, I mean they were just one punkrockband in a big pot of bands, nothing special. But when Barker joined them and they recorded the LP "Enema of the State", they actually became famous very fast, and from my own experience the reason is that he made it sound special, sound better than the other equal sounding punkrockbands.

Another example are these remixes. Of course every advanced drummer could play the things he plays there, but I guess he doesn't really care about how hard it is, he just cares about how he can make it sound powerful (like in "Crank That"). A damn hard lick would not fit into this context.

Things like his Solo's, or this hard cymbal smashing - This is just entertainment.
I mean, as like you guys already pointed out, he's an entertainer. Of course he could hit the cymbal like a little girl, but doesn't it look cooler to smash them like he wants to destroy them? For a non-drumming audience I guess yes. And that's what it's about. The majority of listeners aren't musicians themselves, they just want to get a good feeling, they want it to sound good. And his solo's always sound good for a non-musician, even if it is not as hard as a Steve Gadd lick (show the solo's to a bunch of non-musicians and they will all say it sounds damn cool)

So that's his intention, to entertain, to make a band like blink sound interesting and good (of course he can't help you if you hate punkrock ;-)

I am not a Travis Barker fan, but I think he deserves respect for what he does

check out this video of Travis and then look at some of the comments on the bottom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzXTGn3i58
more then one person calls Travis amazing. Why? There is absolutely nothing amazing about what he does in this clip. If they're calling him amazing based on this clip then that tells you quite a bit about how some young people overrate some drummers. I can only guess that his exaggerated movements are impressing them more than then his actual playing in this clip.

Ok Badstuff:

Based on this clip i find him amazing....

Of course i know also some other drummers too, ok!!??

Bernhard

Based on this clip i find him amazing....

Of course i know also some other drummers too, ok!!??

Bernhard

I agree, Bernhard! There is NO way that I could play like Travis played on that video. I think it's great that there is a real drummer playing Rap.

Besides, the guy is a joy to watch! You gotta admit, the guy's got ENERGY! And entertainment is a large part of our business.

I would never say that Travis Barker is an "outstanding", or even the "best" drummer, but I guess a lot of people who dislike this "Travis Barker Hype" do underrate him (yes, I said UNDERrate)

I mean, playing the drums is not about some hard licks or a gorgeous technique, it's about playing for the music, giving the listener a certain feeling, expressing emotions.
And unfortunately, a lot of people have forgotten this.

Travis Barker has no superspecial technique, he's also neither the fastest drummer nor the best technician. But he's able to bring the music he plays in the right way, let it sound good. A good example for this is Blink 182. When they had their old drummer Scott Raynor (until dude ranch), they weren't that popular, I mean they were just one punkrockband in a big pot of bands, nothing special. But when Barker joined them and they recorded the LP "Enema of the State", they actually became famous very fast, and from my own experience the reason is that he made it sound special, sound better than the other equal sounding punkrockbands.

Another example are these remixes. Of course every advanced drummer could play the things he plays there, but I guess he doesn't really care about how hard it is, he just cares about how he can make it sound powerful (like in "Crank That"). A damn hard lick would not fit into this context.

Things like his Solo's, or this hard cymbal smashing - This is just entertainment.
I mean, as like you guys already pointed out, he's an entertainer. Of course he could hit the cymbal like a little girl, but doesn't it look cooler to smash them like he wants to destroy them? For a non-drumming audience I guess yes. And that's what it's about. The majority of listeners aren't musicians themselves, they just want to get a good feeling, they want it to sound good. And his solo's always sound good for a non-musician, even if it is not as hard as a Steve Gadd lick (show the solo's to a bunch of non-musicians and they will all say it sounds damn cool)

So that's his intention, to entertain, to make a band like blink sound interesting and good (of course he can't help you if you hate punkrock ;-)

I am not a Travis Barker fan, but I think he deserves respect for what he does

Blink 182 was not and Travis Barker is not punk.

Re: travis barker in plane crash?

This sucks. I just heard the latest on the national news. Critical condition in a burn unit in South Carolina. Apparently the plane crashed on takeoff and skidded off the runway. The news didn't sound good.

Travis Barker - plane crash

Just picked this up off of yahoo.

------------------------------------------------------

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and a popular disc jockey were critically injured in a Learjet crash in South Carolina that killed four people, authorities said Saturday.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the plane carrying six people was departing shortly before midnight Friday when air traffic controllers reporting seeing sparks. The plane went off a runway and crashed on a nearby road, she said.

Hospital spokeswoman Beth Frits said Barker and DJ AM, whose real name is Adam Goldstein, were in critical condition at a burn center in Augusta, Ga., about 75 miles southwest of Columbia.

Two other passengers and two crew members died, said the National Transportation Safety Board. Their identities were not immediately available.

Barker and Goldstein, who perform together under the name TRVSDJ-AM, played a free concert in Columbia's college neighborhood Friday night.

"It's absolutely terrible and tragic," Columbia Mayor Bob Coble said.

A representative for Barker and DJ AM said she had no information the crash.

After Blink 182, Barker went on to form the rock band (+44) — pronounced "plus forty-four." He starred in the MTV reality series "Meet the Barkers" with former Miss USA Shanna Moakler, to whom he was married at the time. The show documented the former couple's lavish wedding and life.

Goldstein at one time was engaged to celebrity Nicole Richie.

Re: Travis Barker - plane crash

WOW, that blows my mind...pray that Baker and Goldstein come out their critical status and recover...tragic about the other 4 who lost their lives.

hope that they can get better, and RIP.

Re: travis barker in plane crash?

Saw the pictures of the crash site on Fox news on the net. No pretty. The 2 survivors were lucky to be spared the fate of the other 4 on the plane. From the brief description of the condition of Travis and the other fellow it will be touch and go at this point due to some serious burns involved after the crash. Hope both pull through.

I just read that as well, is always a shock to see someone we know well in a bad crash, my thoughts and prayers are with them and all the families.

Musicians should just stop flying on airplanes from now on. Too many have been lost like this. Anyway, setting aside whatever feelings we may have about Travis, he's a drummer and a damn good one at that. I hope he gets through this and back to doing what he does best.

Musicians should just stop flying on airplanes from now on. Too many have been lost like this. Anyway, setting aside whatever feelings we may have about Travis, he's a drummer and a damn good one at that. I hope he gets through this and back to doing what he does best.

Yeah, same here. God bless

Back