Bernard "Pretty" Purdie

Re: Bernhard Purdie

There was actually a thread on him a while back... It could have been deleted.

Needless to say, Bernard Purdie has the fattest groove in the world and he's is the epitome of what drumming is all about: Laying down some great grooves, making weird noises and creating great music whilst having fun.

Yeah 2 posts does not do this GREAT drummer justice. I was just watching his videos again.... he plays with such feeling and such a sweet groove. Those drummers that worship Gadd should look at purdie to see where gadd got his feeling from. When I watch Gadd (who i love, by the way), you can see Bernard Purdie all through him.

Some people on youtube posted this:

flapsnappy (4 months ago)
I was a Purdie fan until I did research on the artists and records HE said he played on/with. Turned out he's a patalogical liar. He claims he played on mostly all of the Beatles records! Most of the Bowie records. McCartney and Bowie laughed when I brought this up. Sometimes you dig yourself so deep ya can't get out. The sad thing is he doe's have the groove from hell and should just let the drumming do the talking. Take the 'AJA' record for instance.

CLWarunki (2 months ago)
You might have a point there, but nobody can prove wether or not he did or didn't ghost on any beatles sessions etc... so it's still a mystery, but with all his credentials WHY WOULD HE NEED TO LIE!? Oh and "Aja" was not just Purdie... remember Gadd? I think there was a 3rd drummer on that record too. So you know Bowie and McCartney personally eh?

theonlyrealMugsy (2 months ago)
I think Bernard was the no.1 drum call in L.A. It's a documented fact that there were some ghost drums on Beatle Albums. Just who remained a secret so youngsters weren't disallusioned with their heroes. BP wouldn't have to lie about a thing. His talent lies in laying it down under pressure of tape rolling without choking. That's why he's the man.

Anyone knows if some of that is true?? Or did these guys just wanted some attention?

Someone on the web did a pretty thorough analysis on what Bernard claimed he did...I'll try and find it today. The conclusion was that it is possible he may have played on one or two obscure tracks that we've probably never heard.

Thanks a lot!! I believe Purdie for 95% percent, "I got paid in five figures [$10,000 or more]," Purdie adds, "and that was the largest amount of money I'd ever gotten in my life. I thought they were paying me all that money because they liked what I played. Then [Epstein] told me I was being paid to keep my mouth shut." sounds pretty credible to me but the fact he always makes jokes make it look like he's trying to fool us, or trying to get recognition for all his work, or trying to be interesting. A lot of people have spread mysteries and remarquable stories all over the world (like Plato with Atlantis, which was just a tale etc.). I don't know.
It's still an amazing drummer!

Last edited:

One moment he says he overdubbed Ringo's tracks and then he says: ''Ringo is not on anything!''! I really would like to read that book he says he's writing. I'll read the whole story next week.

i suppose it's possible...but not probable. mc cartney did play drums on a couple of beatle tracks...that's documented in the book "the beatles-in their own words" but if you listen to the feel of the tracks and you are familar with ringo's playing style, i truly doubt purdie was on any released tracks. however it's possible at some point he played or recorded (jammed?) with the beatles, but i just haven't heard any songs that sound like purdy.

well, i have little opinion on the matter -- even though i like BP's style more than ringo's. However, as any good detective would say, who has more to lose and gain? Obviously someone like Bernard Purdie with his credentials does not need to 'say' he played with the beatles to be recognized as one of the greats.

However to say that ringo played on none of the early beatles would be a tsunami-sized rock scandal that would dwarf milli vanilli.

Just as food for thought, Ringo and those associated with the Beatles have FAR MORE to lose than Bernard does to gain should anything be true about his statements. In fact, he really has nothing to gain at all.

The fact that his story did not change over 30 years also makes one think -- you know how lies tend to grow? Nope, in his case, it was the same statements 21 tracks, multiple drummers, none were ringo.

As far as ringo playing the stype effortlessly -- i mean, come on.... it's not like it was Gadd up there doing something WAY out of the box. Those early drum tracks were something that most compitent drummers could mimmic easily with little practice.

As far as ringo playing the stype effortlessly -- i mean, come on.... it's not like it was Gadd up there doing something WAY out of the box. Those early drum tracks were something that most compitent drummers could mimmic easily with little practice.

That has always been the issue. Why would Purdie claim to be playing on tracks that are not attributed as anything special? I have heard that he (Purdie) really doesn't bother bringing this topic up any moe and brushes it aside when it is brought up to him. Even if it is true, he has probably concluded the topic does more harm to his rep than good.

That controversy aside, I absolutely love his playing. I try and see him whenever he plays in NYC. I don't know how he does it. His playing just exudes joy. His vocal expressions are part of his sound! And his solos are just as groovy too! I could actually take my wife to one of his clinics and she would love it! Can't say the same for a Virgil or Lang clinic.

I love this guy! He brings so much character to the drumset. I especially like what he says at the end of his 16th note video ' pssh pssh yeahhhh''. He could play a groove badly and still make it sound good!

Oh yeahhhhhh! He's awesome.

Well i know he did wonders on the Goutcho album for Steely Dan(Babalon sisters),man
his shuffle is great.Hes on of my favorite drummers,Dont know about the Beattles or nothing,dont care,all i know is he's great,most recorded drummer(studio).High in demand

BERNARD PURDIE PODCAST INTERVIEW

If you guys want to hear a recent interview Bernard did, please go to:

http://www.insidemusicast.com

It's a wonderful thing to hear of Bernard's upbringing, and how he approaches the art of playing kit. He also speaks very highly of his friend Jeff Porcaro.

Checkit out!
T

Re: BERNARD PURDIE PODCAST INTERVIEW

If you guys want to hear a recent interview Bernard did, please go to:

http://www.insidemusicast.com

It's a wonderful thing to hear of Bernard's upbringing, and how he approaches the art of playing kit. He also speaks very highly of his friend Jeff Porcaro.

Checkit out!
T

Thanks, gonna listen to this on the way home.

Thinking about it, I don't believe it went down the way Purdie claims it did.

I'm wondering how they could have done the overdubs with no bleed from the original tracks. I really don't know that much about recording technology, but I do know that even with today's techniques basic drum tracks are the hardest instrument to overdub. Why would they have bothered to record with Ringo in the first place? In those days it was common to bring in session guys to record the basic tracks.

Back