Need some double-bass pedal suggestions!!

DJgrind

Hello everyone, I have been looking into getting some new double-bass pedals and I am having trouble deciding what to get. Now I play a lot of metal so I need something that makes playing fast on the pedals a lot easier. I'm mainly looking for speed, but I'm not made of cash so I'm trying not to go over the $400 mark. If anyone can give me advice on how well iron cobras work too that would be very helpful as well.

The Iron Cobras are more a powerful pedal I believe. Not saying you can't go fast on the cobras but it will defintaly give your legs a workout. I would check out the Eliminator Powershifters, Falcons or something used from ebay, guitar center or craigslist for the high end used pedals.

The Cobras are a little heavy by today's standards, but that means they are good and solid. I just bought a set of DW 9ks and they are heavy, but they are solid as a rock, and I'm going plenty fast on them.

Also, if you go with a direct drive, you are sacrificing a little bit of solidity and power. I've also heard of people having some odd technical difficulties with the modern pedals. People will emphasize speed on the modern drives, but they often neglect to mention loss of solid feel. Personally, I don't think the marginal speed increase in a direct drive is worth the extra money and sacrificing a nice solid feel. Yes, they are a bit quicker, but who says drummers haven't been FLYING on the double kick since long before direct drives were around??? It's about your technique and how dedicated you are in practicing, not about how fancy your pedals are.

Also, if you go with a direct drive, you are sacrificing a little bit of solidity and power. I've also heard of people having some odd technical difficulties with the modern pedals. People will emphasize speed on the modern drives, but they often neglect to mention loss of solid feel. Personally, I don't think the marginal speed increase in a direct drive is worth the extra money and sacrificing a nice solid feel. Yes, they are a bit quicker, but who says drummers haven't been FLYING on the double kick since long before direct drives were around??? It's about your technique and how dedicated you are in practicing, not about how fancy your pedals are.

Yeah, unfortunately most of the talk surrounding direct drive pedals seems to refer purely to the fact that they are fast. All too often the fact that they offer a "lighter" feel is left by the wayside. I reccommend at least trying them out....not for the "speed" aspect, but because of the "feel". They are not better, they are not worse, but they are different. Just another option to check out.

FWIW, the first direct drive pedal was the Ludwig Speed King.....it first hit the scene in the mid '30's....pre-dating chain driven pedals by many years, so it's fair to say that people were flying on direct drives long before double kicks were around. :)

OP, check everything out, I say. Get your feet on as many pedals as you possibly can before making any decisions. The more you try, the more you'll be aware of what you like/don't like and the easier the decision making process is.

Yeah, unfortunately most of the talk surrounding direct drive pedals seems to refer purely to the fact that they are fast. All too often the fact that they offer a "lighter" feel is left by the wayside. I reccommend at least trying them out....not for the "speed" aspect, but because of the "feel". They are not better, they are not worse, but they are different. Just another option to check out.

Touche. I remembered I forgot to stress that they aren't BAD pedals and got on to edit it into my post, but you beat me to it. If you are looking for a lighter feel that you can keep closer to the kick and really get those 32nd notes and/or use micing for volume, then I'd say look into them. But once again, I really like the solid feel in the chain pedals, and if you stick to the high end models then they will feel PLENTY fast and smooth.

Back