Pedal reccomendations?

Guz2

At the moment I have a crappy no brand pedal and I'm looking to upgrade sometime soon. Ideally, the single pedal must have lots of speed, be easy to do heel toe on and not too expensive. I'm not really bothered about power, though. Any reccomendations?

i would say axis but they are expensive but a pearl elimanator

At the moment I have a crappy no brand pedal and I'm looking to upgrade sometime soon. Ideally, the single pedal must have lots of speed, be easy to do heel toe on and not too expensive. I'm not really bothered about power, though. Any reccomendations?

You gotta go into a Drum/Music shop and try them out! This way You
can try & feel several pedals to hopefully make the correct decission.
We all can name 50 Pedals (all good of course) but maybe NOT for you,
so go out this weekend & try some Pedals out :^)

Best,
Chazz \m/

i bought single pedal iron cobra yesterday it wasn new so it wasnt to expensivve. great for speed and heal toe

Best,
Chazz \m/

I second this motion.

Checkout the Ludwig Speed King:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUDL201

You can really hum on this pedal (John Bonham is a testament) - no external springs and no chain. It has two internal springs in the posts which compress rather than expand. It can be operated very smoothly and very rapidly. It was my mainstay back in the days prior to double pedals. The only drawback is the squeek (notorious in Led Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Loving You", lol) which can be easily solved with a little graphite.

Last edited:

Best,
Chazz \m/
Thanks, I'm going into a music shop to replace my splash anyway. I'll try some out!

Checkout the Ludwig Speed King:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUDL201

You can really hum on this pedal (John Bonham is a testament) - no external springs and no chain. It has two internal springs in the posts which compress rather than expand. It can be operated very smoothly and very rapidly. It was my mainstay back in the days prior to double pedals. The only drawback is the squeek (notorious in Led Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Loving You", lol) which can be easily solved with a little graphite.

I quite like the squeak, gives it a nice Led Zeppelin feel. But I probably won't like it so much if I own one and have to put up with it! And are the old ones better than the new ones? My cousin owns a vintage one and loves it...

The PDP Single Pedal 450

this is a good pedal. it came with my set and the preformance is pretty good and also easy to double kick on. but it is kinda squeeky when you play. for me it not a problem because when you start playin it the drums over here it and you cant here it.

Edit: This is quoted from a reviewer on GC's website.

Last edited:
I had a Speed King in the 70's on my Vistalite set. The squeek in my pedal was not a concern because it was not that bad and we played live all the time and it was not audible over the blasting Marshalls and Ampegs. In the studio it is a slight problem, especially when one mikes the batter side of the BD too close to it. I am really surprised Jimmy Page left it on as many tracks, although I understand that the Speed King didn't make it's presence in such an annoying way on Zep tracks until they digitally remastered. Maybe he figured we wouldn't catch it on the LP. We didn't have graphite in those days, but a little grease could have solved that problem. It comes from the pedal to rocker linkage as I recall.

I assume the new ones are as good as the old ones, but haven't heard any reviews on the new ones except the reviews attached to the link I posted below. They were the quickest pedal on the market when I played, though.

I tried all the major brands at the local music store and walked out with the Tama Iron Cobra. Great pedal, and a pretty good value. But I recommend trying them out for yourself.

for speed i dont recomend iron cobras eventually they will be way to slow... thats what happend to me

DW is always my choice...... You'll need to try out a number of pedals to see what suits you...

Back