Tama throne warning!

Tama is going to catch on and beef up the wing nut when an endorsser falls of his busted seat. They've already made the seat top on the latest ergos smaller by 1" lessening leverage of force on the clamp if you sit on the edge of the seat top. Was that the reason? Maybe not, they have just wanted to save on production materials.

Still my favorite stool. Simple user upgrade, replace the wing nut. If adjusted correctly and your not too bouncy on the stool, the clamp fasteners may never fail.

When it becomes cheaper for a company to settle a liability suit than it is to spend on testing a product thorougly, we as consumers and people are screwed.

The seat of my Tama standard saddle seat throne also loosens up all the time. Not really a big issue but it's just sloppy. Also, I need a pair of plyers to tighten it enough. Very sloppy. It's comfortable enough but I'm not too thrilled about this.

Their drums are excellent though :)

The seat of my Tama standard saddle seat throne also loosens up all the time. Not really a big issue but it's just sloppy. Also, I need a pair of plyers to tighten it enough. Very sloppy. It's comfortable enough but I'm not too thrilled about this.

Their drums are excellent though :)

On all machine threads, lubrication is a big factor in regards to holding power. If you don't, keep all threads lubed properly, the holding power will be increased greatly.

that just discouraged me from buying a tama throne. lol.

Update:

The local Tama rep shipped a new seat bracket to my dealer.....it was identical to the one that failed.

I illustrated exactly why the bracket failed....and explained the mechanics behind it.

I appreciated the effort at customer service, but I'll keep the one with grade 8 bolts, thank you : )

SRJ

I have a "sit tight" Tama throne also... This does not reassure me very much. Bah, I've been wanting to change it for some time now anyway, I just hope an accident will not occur before that!

...I have had my Tama throne for over 8 years and have never had a problem with it.

I was also under the impression that the plastic insert was only to be used if you wanted your seat to swivel, which is why I never use it.

If you can tighten the bracket to the point that the seat will not swivel, remind me never to challenge you to an arm wrestling contest.

Barry

...I have had my Tama throne for over 8 years and have never had a problem with it.

I was also under the impression that the plastic insert was only to be used if you wanted your seat to swivel, which is why I never use it.

If you can tighten the bracket to the point that the seat will not swivel, remind me never to challenge you to an arm wrestling contest.

Barry

Right! Imagine my shock when, like yourself, my throne failed and I found myself looking at tweety-birds after 6 years of successful use.

Swivel, yes....wobble, no : ) Even the HT-741 thrones in the local shops do this exact thing, and have the same crappy hardware.

LOL. Yeah, I have been called Popeye a time or two, but by the same token, I know how much torque a given fastener can take....and it's a helluva lot more than I can manage with my hands and fingers, LOL.

Have a good one!

SRJ

Just chiming in..

I have the exact same throne. I purchased it from my local music store albiet used. I had the throne for about 2 days when I had the exact same problem happen, in my instance the bolt entirely snapped and the other bolt was bent by the force of the throne falling with one side still fastened.

I ended up taking it back to the shop and they ordered a replacement plastic sleeve and replacement bolts for me. While waiting on the bolts I ended up going to lowe's and finding replacement bolts, I've chosen to keep these on even after recieving the tama replacements.I've since had the throne with the new plastic sleeve and lowe's bolts for about a year and a half now with a fair amount of playing at home, practicing, and gigs.

Honestly, I'd recommend replacing the bolts, or atleast keeping spares with you if you own this throne. Because if you're playing a gig and they do fail, due to the design, the throne is useless without them.

Side note... it is very easy to tighten the throne WITH insert to the point that it wont swivel easily/at all. ...without much more force then you'd use to tighten a memory lock with a drum key.

Anyone have any further problems with this throne? This one seems to have the features I want and I'm not that hard on my drum thrones.

I have the ERGO rider throne, and it's never seemed un-sturdy to me.

I have the low version, and sit approx 20" to the top of the seat.

I took out the plastic insert on mine, since it did let the seat swivel and not stay put (even though it did clamp down enough to let it move only a little).

I know the thread said "problem solved" now--but I agree with Les saying it should be common sense to remove it if you don't want the seat to move.
Not to single anyone in particular out, but I mean LOOK at your equipment, it's not rocket science to see that it's the plastic thing letting the seat move.
And I'm not surprised someone fell off the throne after the plastic thing broke because it's a pretty thick piece of plastic and would have a lot of play between the clamp and swivel seat rod when it let go.
It's good to put out a warning to people that never thought about it, and I have a friend who works at GC & he tells people who are buying those thrones about that plastic insert....but people should still look over their gear.

I'm the type to beef up a part I think may be a problem with something stronger, and I'm always tinkering with hardware, but it seems as though if someone is buying a piece of equipment, they'd look it over to see what might be causing a problem other than just tightening the thing.
The wing nut and threaded tube on the throne, or the clamp itself have never given me a problem.

I just run out the threaded tube part enough so the wing nut can secure the clamp down to where I want it.
This type of clamping is on tons of other stands and multi-clamps and has been around for years, so it's strange that people would have problems with them.

He means Tama recalled or repaired all troubled thrones. I still wouldn't waste that much money on a seat but that's me.

Well I don't like the RocNSoc I have and nothing else seems to have the features I want. It is pricey but what can you do? I already have too many physical problems. I need all the stability I can get out of a throne.

I have a newer 2008 1st chair. There is nothing at all wrong with it, everything feels perfect like usual Tama gear. So far its the best seat I've seen. It's a fair price but not overly expensive. I wouldn't waste more money on a roc n soc or pork pie just because of some problems Tama had with a few batches from assembly.

When I tighten the bolts on my seat everything is rock solid and tight. I can only barely swivel the seat around by pushing with my feet. Usually I leave it not done up all the way so that the seat can spin a little more freely.

I had one of those Tama thrones for a while. I never liked the thing for several reasons. Thrones are like beds. If you spend a lot of time on them, spend the dough for something you like. Oh well. Anybody us a pork pie or dw throne? I have been using a roc-n-soc and I am still not completely satisfied. Sorry about the spill man, that stinks. Good info for the rest of us though, maybe I can get one of my guitar players to sit on my Tama throne and see what happens.

Bought one of these used today. I found this link which admits the problem listed in this thread:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/1st_chair/index.html

I'll update this post with a pic in a little bit showing the bolts and that my chair would likely eventually have busted like others here have mentioned...

Here's a link to the .pdf for my throne which lists the part numbers that need replacing and includes 4 different seat types: http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/throne/pdf/HT430_530_730.pdf

3-11 HB850HN8T Bolt, spring, washer, spring & hex-nut assembly
3-12 HB850WN8T Bolt, springs, washer & wing nut assembly

While I'm being helpful, might as well provide more.....for those of you who like to download manuals, the Tama site doesn't make it easy (at least not for me) to find where their pdf docs are, but with my sleuthing skills I located it as follows:

going through their parts section I found this html web page:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/page/ht430.html

that page has .gif pic named: HT430_530_730.gif

I also stumbled upon another pdf page in my google searching for: http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/page/ht730s.pdf which ties to an identical gif file with the same naming structure http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/throne/images/HT730S.gif, that gif file is on http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/page/ht730s.html

I put 2 and 2 together and figured out the HT430_530_730.pdf link must exist since there is a .gif file with the same name.

Going to try and call Tama Monday to see if they'll send me the replacement parts...I know...sounds like I'm dreaming...oh well, they'll suffer in the long run.

Attachments

• FaultyBolts1.jpg
    FaultyBolts1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 3,005
  • FaultyBolts2.jpg
    FaultyBolts2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 3,103
Last edited:
Huh, I just recently bought one of these and didn't hear about this issue.

Don't think I'm going to get rid of it though since mine is fine as of now and I freaking love sitting on that thing. So comfy for any guy with a bony ass like me.

Back