Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surrounding my house with land-mines, motion detectors, flame-throwers, and laser sighted bazookas. My daughter will be safe then from all of the sickos here in New Jersey.

That won't stop the boy drummers in high school. They are experts in deception/covert operations...

You, sir, are screwed.

I'm pro gun...having said that...that idiot should NOT EVER own a gun.

Just because you can,dosen't me you should own a gun.

Basic gun safety rules were violated here.

1) the gun is always loaded...period

2) never point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy

3) finger off the trigger till you're on the target.

4) be sure of your target and backstop.

There are NO exception to the above rules...ever

If that was me,I would be kicking that guys ass,and yes I've done it before.I would then hand him back what was left of his gun,after I at the very least,destroyed the barrel.

I truly hate to see stories like this,because it's only a matter of when,and not if,that moron will hurt someone else or himself.

Steve B

+10. Those are very good rules to live by. Especially number 2. Many accidents happen because someone was being stupid, no gun should ever be pointed at anything that is not meant to be shot at. I have seen excellent shots and former military act stupid with guns. They would have been extremely angry if some kid or someone else acted like that, but apparently because of their experience they felt accidents couldn't happen with them.

I would just draw your attention to the fact that in the UK we have had a gun ban for over half a century. Firearms were invented in this country several hundred years ago but for most people the expense made it impossible to own one. We had people robbing stagecoaches long before Hollywood thought of that idea but although they carried guns the response of the stagecoach companies was to catch the robbers not turn the stagecoaches into a fortress.

In the early part of the 20th C no licence was required for weapons. We did have a few firearm related incidents and the perps were hanged for it but on the whole the population didn't carry guns as a matter of course. Landowners usually had shotguns and rifles for vermin disposal purposes. It has never actually been legal in this country to own a weapon for self-defence!

We had a huge civil disturbance in the 1920's called a General Strike. At that time it looked to the authorities as if there was going to be general anarchy as well and so they compiled a register of all those holding weapons of any description who could be conscripted into some kind of civil defence force. This was done by the cops and of course having compiled the register they then went a step further and introduced a licencing scheme. This country has as many control freaks as anywhere else!

But the gun licencing scheme was not very strict, you could apply at a Post Office for a gun licence and that was all that was required. Gradually the licence requirements have been tightened up over the years until right now when it is difficult to get a licence at all. The primary requirement is that you have to have a good reason for having one. Self defence is NOT a good reason in this country. It has to be either for vermin disposal or sporting use.
Weapons of war are forbidden. Nobody in the UK legally owns an AR16 but they might well have a collection of rifles. Pistols are now forbidden. The security requirements are serious.
A friend with a gun collection has had to build an armoured room in his house, a burglar alarm, security lights, he's registered with the police and has to renew the license every 4 years.
Every weapon he has is recorded on the licence and if he buys or sells anything that also requires a change to the licence. It costs a fee every single time.

Even just owning a shogun now requires a detailed application to the cops, a declaration of sanity from the doctor and a character reference from a reputable person. There are other rules about the amount of ammo you can have and the security of the home. You MUST have a metal security cabinet and the guns must be kept in it. Break any of those rules and your license is revoked.

We DO get the occasional nut running around with a weapon and our cops frequently carry MP5's and pistols. They have shot quite a few guys over the years. Unfortunately they have shot a number of innocent people too. But we don't have massacres like Columbine etc. We did have a guy running around shooting small children at a school in Dunblane. As a result of that pistols are banned in the this country. If you see a guy with a pistol, it's illegal.

Having said that I have been told that it is not hard to get your hands on illegal weapons in this country, if you really try. If you ask the right people and come up with money then it is definitely possible. But if you get caught then you definitely get a stretch.

I would just draw your attention to the fact that in the UK we have had a gun ban for over half a century. Firearms were invented in this country several hundred years ago but for most people the expense made it impossible to own one. We had people robbing stagecoaches long before Hollywood thought of that idea but although they carried guns the response of the stagecoach companies was to catch the robbers not turn the stagecoaches into a fortress.

In the early part of the 20th C no licence was required for weapons. We did have a few firearm related incidents and the perps were hanged for it but on the whole the population didn't carry guns as a matter of course. Landowners usually had shotguns and rifles for vermin disposal purposes. It has never actually been legal in this country to own a weapon for self-defence!

We had a huge civil disturbance in the 1920's called a General Strike. At that time it looked to the authorities as if there was going to be general anarchy as well and so they compiled a register of all those holding weapons of any description who could be conscripted into some kind of civil defence force. This was done by the cops and of course having compiled the register they then went a step further and introduced a licencing scheme. This country has as many control freaks as anywhere else!

But the gun licencing scheme was not very strict, you could apply at a Post Office for a gun licence and that was all that was required. Gradually the licence requirements have been tightened up over the years until right now when it is difficult to get a licence at all. The primary requirement is that you have to have a good reason for having one. Self defence is NOT a good reason in this country. It has to be either for vermin disposal or sporting use.
Weapons of war are forbidden. Nobody in the UK legally owns an AR16 but they might well have a collection of rifles. Pistols are now forbidden. The security requirements are serious.
A friend with a gun collection has had to build an armoured room in his house, a burglar alarm, security lights, he's registered with the police and has to renew the license every 4 years.
Every weapon he has is recorded on the licence and if he buys or sells anything that also requires a change to the licence. It costs a fee every single time.

Even just owning a shogun now requires a detailed application to the cops, a declaration of sanity from the doctor and a character reference from a reputable person. There are other rules about the amount of ammo you can have and the security of the home. You MUST have a metal security cabinet and the guns must be kept in it. Break any of those rules and your license is revoked.

We DO get the occasional nut running around with a weapon and our cops frequently carry MP5's and pistols. They have shot quite a few guys over the years. Unfortunately they have shot a number of innocent people too. But we don't have massacres like Columbine etc. We did have a guy running around shooting small children at a school in Dunblane. As a result of that pistols are banned in the this country. If you see a guy with a pistol, it's illegal.

Having said that I have been told that it is not hard to get your hands on illegal weapons in this country, if you really try. If you ask the right people and come up with money then it is definitely possible. But if you get caught then you definitely get a stretch.

Fascinating look into your culture and I learned a lot. Thank you.

Perhaps they should say exactly that. It would impress upon people the seriousness of driving a car and the need to stay focused and mindful while driving.

lol! I love it! As sad as it is... Cars have killed WAYYY more people, recently (since they became popular, and without proper education and application). I see the issue with cars as complacence (not paying attention), ignorance (not knowing how to drive, or that you actually have to watch what is going on), and stupidity (texting, drinking, overall distracted driving).

Texting while walking has killed people. Are we going to regulate cell phones?

Like was mentioned earlier (and ties into the OP), things that seem strange, are often normal to others.

We cannot discuss different region's history as an apples to apples comparison, as different socioeconomic classes, government regulations, entitlements, history, and ethics, etc... that all lead to our society's behavior. A gun is simply a tool, just like a cigarette, drumstick, cell phone, car, or that new Sabian AAX Air Splash (that I like so much). Simply because I purchase a cymbal, does not make me a great drummer. But it can enable me to sound like one.

Last edited:
Wow. Didn't read past the first few posts, so I'm probably late to the discussion here, but man... If anyone suddenly pulled out a gun at a band rehearsal (or gig or whatever), I would be out of that band within five minutes.

Goes for any social setting really. If it was at a party, I would most likely never set foot in that house again. Nothing makes me feel more unsafe than civilians carrying guns (I don't like the idea of armed police either, but I realise it's necessary in some situations).

As a smoker, I fail to see how a cigarette is a tool. It serves only one functional purpose and that is simply to be ignited and inhaled. The act of inhaling cigarette smoke does not produce anything of meaningful value.
I'm not a smoker. My father was one; my wife of over 15 years is one.

A cigarette is a tool, indeed. And it serves a purpose. If it didn't, people wouldn't smoke. Nicotine is a drug, and like any drug - it alters normal functions. Some people prefer these alterations, and therefore use the tool to alter it to a certain state. Some drugs are helpful, some are less helpful. There are ALWAYS side effects - I think that was my point. My hammer can be used to fasten a board to a wall. It can also be used to bludgeon my kids to death in their sleep (and as they age, they can do the same to me). Why am I (they) not doing it?

Without straying - I was just stating that their are many tools that can cause destruction, the manner in which we use them (to bash a cymbal or play a cymbal) is determined by a multitude of reasons (nature vs nurture/society vs individual/parenting/experience/preference/etc...).

By the way - I'm pro-hammer. And pro-cigarette. As much as I can't stand the effects, the smell, the cost, the taxing, manipulation, time wasted, health insurance cost increases, political impacts, danger (ever watch a person smoke while driving? - completely oblivious that they swerve as often as they do, not always looking ahead), etc..., but I like that there is a choice to do so (so long as it doesn't impact my will not to).

Live free or die. (It's even on the license plate in NH - yes, I know it is referring to taxes, etc..., and not lawlessness).

If a tool is worthless, it stops being a tool - that is my point.

Ahh, Pure Duncan, I must challenge your assertion.

I've known a few "tools" in my day, though I won't name names. Most of them have been and continue to be worthless - and yes, they are still "tools."

I really wish that firearms weren't necessary, but I firmly believe that only I can account for my own future. .

Its an interesting mindset or cultural reference,

But think about that, statistically, your personal future is more limited in a country or culture that nurtures sales and/or use of guns. It just is. Gun related violence per capita sort of numbers. What is out there shows they are much higher in countries that openly sell them, black market or not. The numbers don't lie.

Just curious have you ever had to sue your gun in defence?

but I have never supported these wars or that BS Clinton pulled in Croatia.

Not Croatia..................Bosnia in '95................peacekeeping, after the Dayton Peace Accords

Kosovo in '99..................Air campaign with limited ground combat.............then followed by "peacekeeping" mission again

A cigarette is a tool, indeed.

Sure, the cigarette is a tool for delivering nicotine.

And I'm afraid the bigger tools are the ones buying and smoking the cigarettes.

There's no noble purpose of American freedom behind the fact that you can still buy a pack of cigarettes; it's because the tobacco companies (and insurance companies) have that kind of leverage in Washington.

lol! I love it! As sad as it is... Cars have killed WAYYY more people, recently (since they became popular, and without proper education and application). I see the issue with cars as complacence (not paying attention), ignorance (not knowing how to drive, or that you actually have to watch what is going on), and stupidity (texting, drinking, overall distracted driving).

Texting while walking has killed people. Are we going to regulate cell phones?

Like was mentioned earlier (and ties into the OP), things that seem strange, are often normal to others.

We cannot discuss different region's history as an apples to apples comparison, as different socioeconomic classes, government regulations, entitlements, history, and ethics, etc... that all lead to our society's behavior. A gun is simply a tool, just like a cigarette, drumstick, cell phone, car, or that new Sabian AAX Air Splash (that I like so much). Simply because I purchase a cymbal, does not make me a great drummer. But it can enable me to sound like one.

Thanks for the inevitable cars-to-guns comparison. As a matter of fact, we DO regulate cars. They must be registered, anyone who drives one must be of a certain age, a driver must prove competence and mental/physical abilities to obtain a license, they have to be kept in a certain minimal condition, there are restrictions on where it can go, you can't text while driving one in most places, you are in serious trouble if you use them while high/drunk and you must report to the government any time you sell it. If you mess up too much with a car, you may lose your legal ability to operate one.

We accept that as reasonable because a car is in the category of Tools That Can Kill Innocent People Very Easily With A Tiny Screw Up. Also, cars are in the category of Tools That Are Very Valuable And Are Subject To Being Stolen And Used In Crimes. Screwdrivers, by comparison, have no regulation because they are in the category of Tools That Have Minimal Risk Of Death And Injury To Others. Note the word "Minimal."

And on that note boys and girls the bring a gun to band practice debate has come to an end. Thank you for your participation. When we stray from the original idea on these we tend to get a little political. and you know we don't want that. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back