Mick Tucker

Mr. Dyck

I'd like to know why Mick Tucker seems to be one of the forgotten greats? He was such an awesome talent and I find it sad that no one seems to know who he was. Sadly he passed away with little to no fanfare in 2002. I hope this thread will lead people to at least check out what they missed out on. Most only know Ballroom Blitz but that's just alittle taste of what he did. I have nothing to gain by this, I'd just like to see him get some long over due respect. IMO he should be right up there with Bonham, Mitchell, Paice and all the other great British drummers who came out in the late '60's and early "70's. Check out the Sweet on YouTube or Whereever you can find their music, get past their early bubblegum stuff and check out how they evolved into an amazing band. Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy Mick Tucker and the Sweet as much as I do.

Its really ''SWEET'' to see someone else giving this guy credit! He is one of my all-time favs. EXTREMELY Under-rated! He rules on the whole Desolation Beulevard album. A few of his unsung drum highlights are "Set Me Free'', "Midnight To Daylight", "The Six-Teens"...ect...The list goes on. Very unique drummer!

I'm surprised that Mick Tucker didn't have a thread here. In the seventies he was the reason for many to pick up some drumsticks (at least where I'm from). I find him to be the most interesting drummer from the glam rock era with a very distinctive style. Lots of chops and tasty funky/jazzy fills along with a steady groove, often riding on the floor tom. He played a double bass kit; Ludwig chrome on wood. He sadly passed away in 2002 after a battle with leukemia.

Yes, back in the heyday in the early 70's Mick Tucker was one of the best alongside John Bonham, Ian paice, Cozy Powell and Carmine Appice, hugely underrated drummer.

i love mick's playing. kind of a 70's-ish style of playing but he was no slouch.

for those in the know, the band wasn't all power pop glam chin / chapman tunes, they had heavy tunes like: ac/dc, set me free and my favorite cockroach.

SWEET should be in the rnr hall of fame, even if its for "ballroom blitz" alone. and he mostly played ludwig!

here's some pics...

Attachments

• mick tucker.jpg
    mick tucker.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,007
  • mick tucker 3.jpg
    mick tucker 3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,570
  • mick tucker 2.jpg
    mick tucker 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,114
  • mick tucker 4.jpg
    mick tucker 4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,288
Excellent player. Sadly, probably remembered only by 1970s UK/Euro pop/rockers.

Listening today, definitely shades of Bonham and Paice in his playing. Fox On The Run, for example.

Loved watching Sweet as a little kid on Top Of The Pops, years before I played drums.

Ballroom Blitz, a classic beat and still great fun to play today...

Back