Going to New York - Recommendations anybody? :)

diegobxr

Silver Member
Hey everybody,

Well, first week of August I'm travelling to New York. Business trip but I'm free for a weekend. Having never been in the US before, I'm very excited about it and wanted to ask some of you locals for some tips or reccomendations to make the most out of it. :)

Basically, I'd like to:
- Buy some gear - where to go? Guitar Center, Sam Ash? (I don't know any others)!
- Cool places to visit?
- Also I'd love to catch a concert on the weekend: rock show to jazz gig, doesn't matter! Where can one find info about concerts in NY?

I'm staying on West Broadway Street.

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks a lot!
Cheers :)

Diego

Attachments

• NY.jpg
    NY.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 136
Re: Going to New York - Reccomendations anybody? :)

Yes, a plus one for Steve Maxwell Drums, as a word of warning, the store is not a store in the "normal" sense, there's no shop window, it's on the third and fourth floor of an office building, easy to miss.

Have a great time

Yes, a plus one for Steve Maxwell Drums, as a word of warning, the store is not a store in the "normal" sense, there's no shop window, it's on the third and fourth floor of an office building, easy to miss.

Have a great time

Excellent point!..............

Another vote for Steve Maxwells.I't's not your typical drum shop.More of an experience that just a store.

Sam ash opened a new store on w 34th st and closed their 48th st location.Music row is no more.There's not a lot of drums their either.

There's a Guitar Center on 14th street,but I havn't been there,so it might be a waist of time

Being that you're down town,a visit to the South Street Seaport might be a good idea.Most of the area has reopened after being nearly destroyed by Hurricane Sandy.

No music stores there though.Just a great view and lots of places to eat.

Steve B

With all due respect to Steve, I would suggest avoiding the more Touristy parts of NYC, if you do go to Steve Maxwells you will see Times Square, but I wouldn't waste time there, It's not real New York.

If you move to the East and West you'll see the more everyday city, were residents eat and live, The subway system is a very efficient way to travel, and is air conditioned, which you really need right now!

Time Out New York, link here:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/live-music

is a good source of information about live music.

The Guitar Center on 14th street is pretty good, a decent drum section, and helpful staff, have you considered, as you'll have a residential address during your stay, buying from places like Amazon?

Hey guys, awesome advice, I can't thank you enough!!

I found out that Fridays on the Birdland club plays Tommy Igoe!! I'll definitely try and go see him!

About gear, actually I'd love to buy some e-drums, but I'm afraid I'll have trouble carrying them on the airplane.. I might buy a nice snare or maybe even a cool Gibson Les Paul.. some ideas.

To HMNY, yes, I actually thought about purchasing something and having it sent to the hotel.. but I don't know..
Is it safe to buy on Craigslist and pay via Paypal? Ebay looks safer, but it's also more expensive.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips, I appreciate them! Please keep em coming!! :)

Diego

With all due respect to Steve, I would suggest avoiding the more Touristy parts of NYC, if you do go to Steve Maxwells you will see Times Square, but I wouldn't waste time there, It's not real New York.

If you move to the East and West you'll see the more everyday city, were residents eat and live, The subway system is a very efficient way to travel, and is air conditioned, which you really need right now!

Time Out New York, link here:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/live-music

is a good source of information about live music.

The Guitar Center on 14th street is pretty good, a decent drum section, and helpful staff, have you considered, as you'll have a residential address during your stay, buying from places like Amazon?

I think he's only staying a week,with the week end to do the tourist stuff.Yes,Maxwells is in the Times Square district,but it's a one of a kind drum shot where you can spend hours.

I grew up in NY so me visiting "The Duce" does nothing for me,but as a tourist,it's exciting to see.I got a kick out of the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace,St Peters,Piccadilly Circus,the original Hard Rock Cafe and Abbey Road Studios when I was in London.

I would normally send him into the east or west village or to places like Jekyll and Hyde which are interesting

Being that he wanted music stores and live music,I highlighted those areas.

DMACC hooked him up with plenty of jazz venues downtown or uptown.

You could also chack out BB Kings or the Hardrock Cafe which feature live music.

Steve B

Back