Well................Kinda bought another drum

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
OK, I was in the antique shop with my wife and her mom and I came across a 28X14 Leedy bass drum, circa early 1940's.

My wife thought it would look cool as a decoration piece in my drum room (When I get one) So we bought it. Though I'd Love to refinish it and play it, she thinks It should just be decorative and retired from service. I forgot to take pics, but will get some up soon. Has all original hardware.

OK, that was 2 weeks right? I went 2 weeks without buying anything.............I think. We may have to consult the judges on this....................

Don't worry Drumsword, I'll call your sponsor. We'll get you back on track. Everyone relapses its OK.

Leedy's is real drum history, though a bass drum is a bit more than a curio you can put on the mantle. How bout doing something fun with it ( ........a thought ).

A friend had a studio where he used a couple of old Rodgers bass drums as wall mounted storage cabinets. The front had a drum head supported with ply in the back which would open up down the middle. It looked real cool.. kinda like the classic Calillac- in-the- wall type thing...

Btw, Pete, I need to borrow your Mrs. & your mum-in-law...I'm trying to convince my old girl not to scowl at me when i talk of a smaller jazz kit

Last edited:
Four regular bass drum legs and you have a wonderful, spill-proof coffee table.

Four regular bass drum legs and you have a wonderful, spill-proof coffee table.

lol, thats what the owner of the store told me to do as well. I don't know, I'd feel like I was mocking it if I did that. Kinda like an elephant leg umbrella holder, lol. Or using a Model T as a flower bed. :)

I wanna refinish it and Play it............have some convincing to do before that happens..lol

Hmm, let's see now.

This post was dated 1-04-2009

OK, ok........... Here's the scoop.......... I got the 22" hardcase........ 2 pair of Vic Firth 5A's. A Gibralter Rock Boom Cymbal stand and a Tama Boom cymbal stand. And there is a 17" Zildjian K custom with my name on it coming soon.

This post was dated 1-05-2009

Here is a pic of the 17" K crash. and I won't be buying anything for awhile. So I'm done with buying drums for awhile.

This post was dated 1-06-2009

Shoot, this doesn't count against the bet because I bought it last week but it arrived today. A multi stand for my jam blocks, cowbells and tambourine. holds 6 indivudual pieces. I have 2 Jam blocks, 2 cowbells and a tambourine on it.

That doesn't count towards the bet right?

Now this post is dated for today

OK, I was in the antique shop with my wife and her mom and I came across a 28X14 Leedy bass drum, circa early 1940's.

My wife thought it would look cool as a decoration piece in my drum room (When I get one) So we bought it. Though I'd Love to refinish it and play it, she thinks It should just be decorative and retired from service. I forgot to take pics, but will get some up soon. Has all original hardware.

OK, that was 2 weeks right? I went 2 weeks without buying anything.............I think. We may have to consult the judges on this....................

Judging by your timetable you consider the word "awhile" to mean roughly 3 weeks. So, technically.. yes, your safe.

2 words my friend... Drum Addict :)

You might wanna use this quote as your signature ---> "Hi, my name is Drumsword and I'm an addict."

Oh ya, Stasz. I still want my 20 bucks and pair of sticks from winning the last bet on Drumsword.

Have fun in Florida. I bet they got some drumshops there where you can totally let yourself go ;-).

I have to see pictures of that bassdrum though..

Soon, I hope. Or I could refinish it Blue Sparkle and add it to my 4 piece as the Stanton Moore side kick as was mentioned. Hmmmmmmmmmm, decisions, decisions

I'd go for the Stanton Moore thing. That's really awsome with a big kick I think, especially such a big one.

Man, now that would be a sweet extra drum to have laying around. Being 14" deep you could just mount it on the wall somewhere...or maybe throw it out back for the kids to use as a trampoline?

I'd mount that sucker behind my thrown like the guys used to do w/ gongs. You could keep a big mallet nearby to hammer on that sucker for a special effect.

Back