SO what annoys you? (The so is on purpose)

American actors trying to imitate Australian accents

It never works

I love how it ends up sounding like the cockney accent : )

On the other hand, I first knew Hugh Laurie as the TV actor Dr. House. It knocked me over when I first heard him speak as Hugh Laurie. He fooled me for years lol. When he speaks normally, he's got a distinct accent. (from how I thought he spoke) Great actor. His band is incredible too and his choice of music works great.

But back on topic, today's annoyance? I love to hate on the commercials for pharmaceuticals. OMG gag me with a spoon, I just want to set myself on fire. I have NO idea why I listen to it and don't mute it. It's such a trainwreck, and I can't not look lol.

Then you have the lawsuit commercials right after the pill commercials for the bad drugs that were from 10 years ago. That's entertainment!

On the other hand, I first knew Hugh Laurie as the TV actor Dr. House. It knocked me over when I first heard him speak as Hugh Laurie. He fooled e for years lol. When he speaks normally, he's got a distinct accent that I never heard come out of him before. Great actor. His band is incredible too and his choice of music works great.

That's because Hugh Laurie is AWESOME!!! So awesome in fact that even a metal-head would listen to his blues album (yes, I admitted it)!

American actors trying to imitate Australian accents

Or similarly, Aussies trying to spell like Americans.

As in........

....do the math.

For the love of god man, it's maths. MATHS. MATH(S). MATHS.

Maths, with an S. The S man, don't forget the god damned S. Merryl might have screwed up the accent, but I'll bet you she would never have dropped the friggen' S.

Over 13 odd years of primary and secondary schooling in this country, when have you ever sat in a MATH class?

Geez, next you'll be scratchin' yer ASS or going home to visit your MOM!! :)

Agree Hugh is a true renaissance man. That's a big admission there Todd. Thank you for that lol.

Do the Maths? Is that the right way? I don't believe I've ever heard it said that way.

I can picture Jules jumping up and down throwing a fit!

Haga!

...I first knew Hugh Laurie as the TV actor Dr. House. ...

One word for you Larry:

Blackadder.

Spoiler: You will also learn that "Mr Bean" can in fact speak.

hugh_laurie-s920x634-113384.png

Maths, with an S. The S man, don't forget the god damned S. Merryl might have screwed up the accent, but I'll bet you she would never have dropped the friggen' S.

Over 13 odd years of primary and secondary schooling in this country, when have you ever sat in a MATH class?

Excellent ranting on the bastardisation of our clearly superior language ;)

Mathematics is a multi-disciplinary subject. There are multiple types of singular Mathematic - Geometry, Algebra, Calculus, Pure, etc.. Each of these is a 'Mathematic Discipline'.

'Mathematic' is a singular term.

Therefore, 'Mathematics' is the correct form and the correct form of the abbreviation is 'Maths' if we assume we are referring to general mathematics. Like the school subject.

Suck it.

EDIT:

Andy - or building things out of 'Aluminum' *shudder*.

And now for something completely different: Things that are the exact opposite of annoying. I particularly enjoy what I call "humorously enhanced phrasology", a way of wording something in an extended and humorous fashion. Zappa was very good at this. I bring it up now because Dr. Watso had a very nice one a couple of posts back regarding his "reason for editing":

Completely unnecessary visual thread enhancement

Barbie says they're enjoyable!

On the other hand, I first knew Hugh Laurie as the TV actor Dr. House. It knocked me over when I first heard him speak as Hugh Laurie. He fooled me for years lol. When he speaks normally, he's got a distinct accent. (from how I thought he spoke) Great actor. His band is incredible too and his choice of music works great.

I agree, Laurie is a hellluvan actor. I heard him slip up once in an episode of House. He said "Ice cream". Instead of saying it like an American would (I-scream) he pronounced both words (Ice-cream). Damn Poms always over-pronouncing everything. I like that East London accent. Watching Guy Richie movies made me a fan of the Cockney rhyming slang.

Maths?? You must be havin' a tin bath!

Best... (Aussie)....rant...ever...

Let me guess, when you study gymnastics, you attend a gyms class?

And is Henri referring to dolls or grilling?!?

This yank is confused... ;-)

On my report card it was always listed as math. I sat in math classes, not maths class, in school. I honestly never heard the term maths before this. Must be a Euro/Aussie thing?

Back