Sub kicks and sub kick knockoffs

Hello, I've been thinking of investing in a sub-kick to give my 20x14 kick more 'oomph' for my rock playing. I've read some really positive stuff from people who've used the Yamaha version, and I also found this 'knockoff' on eBay with positive reviews:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bottom-Mics-SubKick-type-Microphone-for-Guitar-Drums-w-Stand-sub-kick-/200899054439?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item2ec6844b67

Not sure if there are any other models? The guy on eBay is claiming that his has some extra features and performs better than the Yamaha, just looking for some feedback from people who might have used something other than the Yamaha version (or even feedback from Yamaha users, good to have info).

Hello, I've been thinking of investing in a sub-kick to give my 20x14 kick more 'oomph' for my rock playing. I've read some really positive stuff from people who've used the Yamaha version, and I also found this 'knockoff' on eBay with positive reviews:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Bottom-Mics-SubKick-type-Microphone-for-Guitar-Drums-w-Stand-sub-kick-/200899054439?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item2ec6844b67

Not sure if there are any other models? The guy on eBay is claiming that his has some extra features and performs better than the Yamaha, just looking for some feedback from people who might have used something other than the Yamaha version (or even feedback from Yamaha users, good to have info).

You should PM Andy (keep it simple). He uses the Yamaha Subkick quite a bit. Although even at $299, I think a Shure Beta 52 would be a better investment - and it's cheaper.

You could use it without a converional
Mic but its meant as extra add on to a mic for that extra low freq a regular mic cant pick up.

I have one and use it both in the studio and live.

You can also use it for other low freq. instruments like floortoms, bass amps and gong/concert drums

I fixed my link above... trying to link youtube videos on my iPad seems a fruitless adventure.

I watched Dave Grohls Movie "Sound City" (great watch by the way) and noticed two different DIY looking SubKicks. One had a black shell and the other had a hot pink shell. No foam on the back, and you can totally see the speaker.

Foos_02.jpg

Linky here for article that I stole the picture from.

I'm not particularly handy :p I also don't own a home and don't have many tools so yeah ...

@Bo: As I understood it, this was to supplement something like a Beta 52? Obviously you could use just a normal kick mic and EQ it to have heavier bass, but I was hoping for something a little bit more consistent.

I just have a soft right foot and a tiny kick drum so in some situations I need a boost.

I'm not particularly handy :p I also don't own a home and don't have many tools so yeah ...

@Bo: As I understood it, this was to supplement something like a Beta 52? Obviously you could use just a normal kick mic and EQ it to have heavier bass, but I was hoping for something a little bit more consistent.

I just have a soft right foot and a tiny kick drum so in some situations I need a boost.
The Subkick is a very useful tool to augment the bass drum sound without resort to EQ. It's cleaner than going the EQ route too, but live, you need to be packing some weighty subs to get any real benefit from it.

I do like the features of the "copy" unit though. Phase reversal is just damn useful, & a -20db pad is a good idea too. The Subkick is a touch hot on the input. I usually plug mine into a line in on the desk precisely for that reason, although we do just have enough headroom on the A&H desk xlr inputs to handle it.

Back