Todd Sucherman here!

Hi Todd! Too bad you have to leave so soon! Anyway, I'll be in the front row with a Modern Drummer Festival t-shirt! Throw me a drumstick or something;)

Alas I could not make any of those dates for one annoying reason or another. Hopefully next time! I'll keep an eye on your web site for the next UK appearance, and I look forward to adding "M&M II" to my collection :)

Cheers!

Mark.

Hey Mark,

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your kind words very much and I'm happy you enjoy the dvd....and especially the music on it. I'll have "M&M II" out in September with about 15 different tracks on if from Styx, Jerry Goodman, and a few from the 2nd Taylor Mills record. As for clinics in the UK, I have none planned as no one has asked me! But I'll be in the UK doing a run that's Styx-Foreigner-Journey. Dates below. Thanks again and hope our paths cross at some point.
Cheers!
Todd

Hi Todd!
Just want to thank you for the Best concert on the entire Sweden Rock Festival! You guys we're Amazing! All the energy and entertainment you guys put on was one of the best concerts I've ever attended to! Thanks for the drumstick as well! Hope I wasn't too hard to spot in the audience.
Your solo was truly entertaining and it had the groove that I missed from the other drummers who did some solos(Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Ozzy etc).

Btw, JY said his grandfather came from sweden. Did he say one of them came from Nyköping? Because that's where I live!

LinearDrumer--

Yeah, there's a lot of new stuff on "II" dvd. Finishing it up this by the end of June, and have been editing for months.

KirbyB-

Thanks for your kind words!

MarkS--

Sorry you missed the gigs. There were good ones.

Larta-

Thanks for the kind words! We overcame adversity to do that show! (Monitor issues and 3 of us, myself included, woke up with colds that day.) Glad you enjoyed it. As for JY's grandfather's birthplace, I can't remember what he said. We're all home now.....

Good to see you there, man!

Cheers-
Todd

Serious question Todd. What would you like to do that you haven't done before in your career? Anybody you would like to play for.? Any style of music you would like to venture into other than the Brian Wilson gig?.Any audience you would like to play for? Queen of England for example.? And if you have sorry for my ignorance of the history. Thanks

Johnny.

Gruntersdad--

I haven't played for the Queen of England but my wife has----at Buckingham Palace no less! Hard to answer your question. I just want to play good music with good musicians. But I guess playing with Peter Gabriel or Sting wouldn't suck.

Larta--

Yeah, we did a drum solo because Tommy's voice was cashed due to illness. Only did that 3 times in 15 years. It was what it was. And the ride is the Precision ride. I don't use the Liquid.

latzanimal-
Thanks!

Todd

Gruntersdad--

I haven't played for the Queen of England but my wife has----at Buckingham Palace no less! Hard to answer your question. I just want to play good music with good musicians. But I guess playing with Peter Gabriel or Sting wouldn't suck.

Larta--

Yeah, we did a drum solo because Tommy's voice was cashed due to illness. Only did that 3 times in 15 years. It was what it was. And the ride is the Precision ride. I don't use the Liquid.

latzanimal-
Thanks!

Todd

After you've played with Tap...what else is there?

Todd, I'll be at the show tonight!!!!! Scored VIP Box! Cant wait for the show!!!! Any chance for a picture with you and the band?

Josh

Hey Josh,

That sort of thing never happens really.....but hope you enjoy the show nonetheless! Thanks for coming out to see it.

Take care!
Todd in St. Louis

Hey Everyone!! Styx put on a Great Show Last Night... They were absolutely on the money! My only complaint is that it had to end...

Todd,
You Killed It!!! Can't wait to see you guys again NEXT YEAR!

Josh.

Arrrgh! Can't believe I couldn't make it to these gigs when Todd was in the UK. Hope you're back soon!

Looking forward to M&M II.

Hi Todd,

just let me tell you that your playing is simply unbelievable!

I deeply admire your contribution to the drumming and music scene. I'm saying this, being more of a (hobby) guitarist (playing for 21 yrs) than a drummer (1 year, beginner). It's really hard to find words to describe what happened to me when I stumbled upon the "Tears of Joy" YouTube video. I'm into hard rock/heavy metal (focus on melodic, prog and shred stuff) for decades now but I was totally floored by the wealth of musical ideas, your highly accomplished musical craftsmanship and pure energy you put into your drumming and by the tremendous influence on drums on a piece of music. I must have been prone to 'selective listening' all the time when listening to - or even making - music, having paid too much attention to details or guitar parts/riffs and not considering music as a whole (with drums being a substantial component to drive and round up a song). You really triggered something inside of me - when I first saw/heard "Tears of Joy", I had just begun practicing drums (heavy/double bass style) but then also picked up practicing traditional grip, trying to be 'open-minded' as a drummer (if I dare to call myself a drummer).

Judging from the YouTube snippets of your DVD, this DVD must really be a masterpiece, you must have put a considerable amount of time and energy to accomplish it. You have skills, a drumset/equipment and a drum room I can only be envious of ;-) I guess it simply can't get any better than that on this planet earth.

My "Tears of Joy" experience
I was working on arranging drum lines for my recording project (at that time/1 year ago, my level of 'thinking like a drummer' was veeeery low) but those drum arrangements felt boring and lifeless to me. Then I saw "Tears of Joy"... and I was heavily inspired by all those embellishments, breaks etc. Within a few weeks my drum arrangements got so much better, I started to incorporate marching elements and ghost notes in my metal tunes (most likely, we'll have to utilize drum samples)... Some friends of mine said: 'Open/close hihats in a metal context is rather untypical - better leave that out' or 'That's too much of a good thing, keep it simple'. I didn't pay attention to that but simply did what seemed most natural (again, this inspiration was primarily triggered by merely watching "Tears of Joy"!!). Thus, with decent drum lines (I dare to say so), the songs started sounding maybe 25 % better than before!

Todd, maybe you aren't fully aware of the effects your drumming has on the inhabitants of our planet ;-) Thank you.

Mark S--

Thanks!

Arky--

Thanks for the lovely note. I'm flattered you enjoy my playing and that "Tears of Joy" spoke to you in some way. That is from my Methods and Mechanics DVD that came out in '08. Jerry Goodman wrote that, and he's a genius. I do "Going On 17" by Jerry in my new DVD, Methods and Mechanics II that come out in September. I love that composition too. He writes such wonderful pieces of music and I'm really glad that you dug what you heard. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me! Keep playing, and keep your mind open for all kinds of influences that you can mix to find your own voice on the instrument.

To anyone who's interested, I'm taking pre orders on "Methods and Mechanics II" on my new web store. Autographed copies are also available, and cover poster art, cds, and the original M&M DVD is there too. Pre orders will ship before the release date! Below is a link to the title sequence trailer and then my store link.

Thanks, guys. Hope you dig what you see and hear-
Todd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOppvGUu9ag

http://www.toddsucherman.com/methods-and-mechanics-2.html

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-05 at 3.04.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-08-05 at 3.04.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 744
Just wanted to say that I saw you last year in Columbus, Ohio on the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight tour and you guys were fantastic. I really love seeing a good drummer live and your performance was awesome. I think I was air-drumming along the whole concert...lol.

I'm a new drummer, about 6 months into lessons, (an old dog trying to learn new tricks) and drummers like you are my inspiration. I'm having a blast and can't wait to have the chance to see you perform again.

Keep it up!

Back