Fighting in Hockey: In or Out

Wanna bet?? here are some stats
View attachment 24466

Read this article about goons and what "they are paid to do"

I've been watching hockey for 50 years. You want to call them enforcers, OK. I'll call then goons.
http://ca.askmen.com/sports/business_150/181_sports_business.html

ok how many of those players are DEFENSEMEN. of course they aren't going to be scoring as many goals or assists as other players. Thier job is to rough up the other team and make it harder for them to score, not to score themselves. The reason Hockey, American Football, and Rugby are great sports is because they are incredibly physical games. Why ruin that and turn it into basketball on ice?

I don't hate Sidney Crosby, he's just really young and I think in trying to "find himself" in the NHL he has turned into a frustrated little kid, particularly this season. I think he has some growing up to do. He should look to some of the more experienced players to learn how to channel his frustration because he is not a fighter, he is a finesse guy. He's an awesome player, but he's not someone who should go around trying to defend himself against enforcers. I believe he's had a couple fights this year, and he's out of his element dropping gloves. He needs to grow up a little bit more before continuing to go around picking fights.

That said, I am a Red Wings fan. I just see the Penguins having trouble this season and feel bad for them. They have a bunch of great players, above average goaltending, but no on-ice leadership.

I don't hate Sidney Crosby, he's just really young and I think in trying to "find himself" in the NHL he has turned into a frustrated little kid, particularly this season. I think he has some growing up to do. He should look to some of the more experienced players to learn how to channel his frustration because he is not a fighter, he is a finesse guy. He's an awesome player, but he's not someone who should go around trying to defend himself against enforcers. I believe he's had a couple fights this year, and he's out of his element dropping gloves. He needs to grow up a little bit more before continuing to go around picking fights.

That said, I am a Red Wings fan. I just see the Penguins having trouble this season and feel bad for them. They have a bunch of great players, above average goaltending, but no on-ice leadership.

Good point. I like Crosby too. His relationship with mentor Mario Lemieux is an inspiring story as well. With that said, I have always thought he gained his position as Captain way too early. It was his second year in the N - Ridiculous. Dumb move Pens, they should have given it to Gary Roberts, he's been around the block a few times and has always shown great leadership.

I doubt the kid will ever give up his 'C', and this may just be the leadership problem you were talking about.

ok how many of those players are DEFENSEMEN. of course they aren't going to be scoring as many goals or assists as other players. Thier job is to rough up the other team and make it harder for them to score, not to score themselves. The reason Hockey, American Football, and Rugby are great sports is because they are incredibly physical games. Why ruin that and turn it into basketball on ice?

So you think that Olympic Hockey and College Hockey are basketball on ice.??
And have you ever watched a lacrosse game.??
And of course they are DEFENSEMEN. You don't think any team is going to have someone with skill fighting do you.

So you think that Olympic Hockey and College Hockey are basketball on ice.??
And have you ever watched a lacrosse game.??
And of course they are DEFENSEMEN. You don't think any team is going to have someone with skill fighting do you.

Jerome Iginla is one hell of a fighter and a 50 goal scorer, not to mention leader. Wendel Clark, great leader, goal scorer, fighter. Gordie Howe? Enough said.

30 teams, 25 players, 750 players and you mention 2. come on you can do better than that. Every situation has its exceptions and of course you found one,or two, but the fact remains that most fighting and goonsmanship comes from defensmen. The same mentality that likes hockey fights also slows down at car wrecks, and cheered as the Christians were fighting the lions. It's just a human thing, We haven't evolved quite far enough.

In. Stop making changes that further advance the pussification of America.

There aren't that many Americans playing. Most of the chippyness started when the Europeans started playing and high-sticking everyone. Just like football there was a time when they played with no helmets. Things change.
Time to move on.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are terrible this year. Why? Because they got rid of all the toughness and fighters they had last year. They have no one to protect Crosby or Malkin and they're getting picked on and frustrated. Thay are a prime example why fighting should remain. I agree that most of the "meathead", cheapshot artists are defensemen but most fighters are wingers.
As for more leaders who also fight: Gary Roberts, Cam Neely, Mark Messier, Eric Lindross, Darcy Tucker, Shane Corson, Kirk Muller, the Sutters, even Mario in his younger days. Some of the best fights I've seen involved team leaders. Craig MacTavish and some poor shmuck that caught him on a bad day, Wendel Clark and Marty McSorely in the '93 playoffs, Mark Messier and some punk trying to make a name for himself.
If you take out fighting you might as well take hitting, take out Canadians and Americans and let the Euros ruin it all.
If anything should be taken out it should be the shootout because it takes away the team aspect of the sport.

Mr. Dyck! Amen!!!

I hate the shootout! As a goalie especially, its hard for me to watch two teams play 60 minutes of great hockey plus 4 on 4 OT, and then have it all come down to something as non-team oriented as a shootout. I especially hate those 5 and 6 round shootouts. It just doesn't feel like a legitimate win to me.

I think I saw Boston and Columbus play earlier this year and end in a 1-0 shootout win after neither goalie allowed a single goal all night exept for one in the shootout. That was incredible from a goaltending stadpoint considering that they had each faced between 40-50 shots by the end of the night.

Back