coated Evans G2 vs. clear emperor's

Spectron

Silver Member
I recently switched from remo clear emps back to an old (not completly worn out) set of g2's I had laying around
and find them quite a bit more finicky when it comes to tuning than the emps. Way more overtones and I'm no slouch when it comes to tuning. On the other hand I can tune the clear emps so they have almost no overtones in minutes.

Also the 16" G2 for my floor tom was flawed from the day I bought it - horrible rumbling
sound - I can even out all the lugs and still have a very slack point inbetween two lugs.
Not the case with other heads so I know it is not a bearing edge issue. AS it is, I have to tune one side of the head much higher than the other side to get rid of the rumble -or- tune my floor tom much higher than normal approaching the range of my 13....

I know some of you are coated g2 fans but my experiance so far hasn't been all too great with them.

Is it just me or is it weird that clear two ply emps have less overtones than coated g2's??

I'm slowly moving to coated G2's from coated emperors for toms. I resisted for a while, just because I like Remo as a brand, but I just find the G2's to be easier to tune, better overtone control, and more durable than Emperors. I also switched to a Power Center Reverse dot from an Emperor for my snare.

It started after I switched to an EMAD bass drum head, and bought a floor tom and snare that came with Evans heads and they sounded great. I'm a convert.

-Tom

Maybe you got a bad batch? For me, emperor's and G2's are one and the same. I do like the coating of the Evans heads, though, seems more durable.

But right now I'm using those vintage emperor's and those are sounding really good right now. I'll probably go back to Evans on the next set in a week or so.

I think I just got bad 16" - I went home at lunch today and finished fine tuning and the 12" and 13" sound really nice, warm and focused.

My floor tom rattles and buzz's no matter what I do short of bop tuning.

I can't decide what tone I like better betweeen g2's and clear emp but
they are both nice tones. I think getting a dud 16" had me unhappy
being I paid $22 for it at the local shop....

@Bo Eder
tell me more about those vintage emperors...
do you like the evans better or are you just wanting something different?

I think I just got bad 16" - I went home at lunch today and finished fine tuning and the 12" and 13" sound really nice, warm and focused.

My floor tom rattles and buzz's no matter what I do short of bop tuning.

I can't decide what tone I like better betweeen g2's and clear emp but
they are both nice tones. I think getting a dud 16" had me unhappy
being I paid $22 for it at the local shop....

@Bo Eder
tell me more about those vintage emperors...
do you like the evans better or are you just wanting something different?

To be honest, knowing the G2's and the Emperor's are roughly the same thickness, I can go for either one. The salesman told me that in the sizes I needed, he only had them in these new "Vintage" emperors. To be honest, I didn't know what the difference was (is), so I said, "I'll take 'em".

I don't change out heads this quickly because I want something different, I tend to play them out pretty quickly, so I'm changing heads about once a month or so. Since Ambassadors and Emperor's and G1's, and G2's are all about the same price, I'll go with whichever one they have all of my sizes in stock at the time. I used to use Ambassadors for everything. But like I said, I like the coating on the Evans much better, it doesn't wear off as quickly as it does on the Remos. The change is sound is negligible with these head types.

If I really wanted to change things up, I'd go with black dots or something that really mucks up the sound....

I recently re-skinned my entire kit with G2 coated heads. They sound great Infact it's the best my kit has sounded in a long time. This is the first time I have used coated heads in quite sometime. I'm glad I switched I am very happy with the G2's.

I've found that Evans heads have a more durable coating. Never seems to come off, and I hit pretty hard. Can't say the same for the Remo coating, in my experience. I haven't used clear Emperors.

On a snare drum, I tend to go with Evans no matter what. Remo heads tend to "pull out" on me. Again, I'm pretty heavy with the left hand.

Both the Emperor and G2 heads (clear or coated) are 2-plies of 7mil each. The Vintage Emperor is 2-plies of 7.5mil each, and only available in coated.

You wouldn't think such a small difference would be noticable, but it is. To my ear the Vintage Emperors are very slightly darker sounding, or have a bit less ringiness, which amounts to the same thing.

My kid recently played a backline kit with Vintage Emps on it and they sounded great. Very Bonham-y on a high-end Gretsch kit.

I generally find both Remo and Evans to be equivalent quality. I do find G2s and regular Emperors to sound different even though they are of the same design. (I find Ambassadors and G1s to sound different as well.) The coatings are different, and I believe the films are different, too.

Sounds like you just got a bad G2.

Back