Derek Roddy here!

Re: Derek Roddy

I just have this need to be doing things in the most efficient way possible.

The most efficient way to strike the kick drum is to let the beater rebound off the head. Anything else is just a derivation from or a combination of heel up and heel down motions. It seems these "exotic" techniques will develop and evolve all by themselves if you just keep on practicing both heel up and heel down and trying to go past your limits.

That practicing thing is correct. If you don't get something, practice. Actually most of my hand skill has came behind TV... Movie lasts for 2 h, I practice about 1.45h. Most important is that don't get sloppy behind TV..That's why I never remember what movie is about, lol.

Derek, here's a question I've always wondered. See I can reach speeds like 200bpm pretty easily, but obviously that wasn't always the case. I was just wondering what speeds do you get to before you really start to struggle? And do you find it hard to play your stuff now or has it become easy over the years, or are you trying hard?

Probably a silly question, but thanks anyway.

Derek, I'd really like you to answer Tutin's question pelase! I also have another question: You use a HHX groove ride, right? (says so on your webpage) so, is this a good ride for metal? Im conciduring buying one!

Derek, here's a question I've always wondered. See I can reach speeds like 200bpm pretty easily, but obviously that wasn't always the case. I was just wondering what speeds do you get to before you really start to struggle? And do you find it hard to play your stuff now or has it become easy over the years, or are you trying hard?

Probably a silly question, but thanks anyway.

Well, right now...I top out somewhere around 230-240. I use to be able to hit 250-255 regularly but, I don't play Death Metal 260 days a year anymore. That type of physical effort requires maintenance. Pushing yourself will always make you struggle...it's to what extent are you struggling that's important.
It definately has gotten easier for me over the years.
Cheers.
D.

Derek, I'd really like you to answer Tutin's question pelase! I also have another question: You use a HHX groove ride, right? (says so on your webpage) so, is this a good ride for metal? Im conciduring buying one!

Ah, the HHX Groove Ride. I love that cymbal.
I've never been the type of drummer who likes these pingy, "manhole cover" ride cymbals that most "metal" drummers use. I like a sound like Tony W, or Jack D. I fuse that sound into my metal playing simply to separate myself from all the other metal drummers who have the same cymbal sound.
The Groove Ride is good because it can cover a wide variety of genres. this is good because I play gigs doing anything from Blues to Extreme metal. I don't like to change gear. I like to play what I play and that's that! LOL. I'm too forgetful to remember which ride to take to a gig.
I wouldn't say it's the best ride for "metal" but it's the best ride for "everything".
D.

Oh yea, I also use a single piece of moongel on the Groove Ride. It dries it up just slightly enough to bring out the definition.
Cheers.

Derek Roddy!!! Just amazing. Not my kind of drummer, not even my favorite kind of drumming but one has to recognize the incredible technique he posseses. One of the best metal drummers around.

Well, right now...I top out somewhere around 230-240. I use to be able to hit 250-255 regularly but, I don't play Death Metal 260 days a year anymore. That type of physical effort requires maintenance. Pushing yourself will always make you struggle...it's to what extent are you struggling that's important.
It definately has gotten easier for me over the years.
Cheers.
D.

Thanks a lot Derek, I always wondered about that. Yeah, my band split up recently and I understand what you mean about the maintenance, does that not bother you though?

Oh and the solo from the clinic rocks, well done man!

Oh, and do you use moongel on any of your drums? I do live but I take it off for recordings because it gives a slappy sound sometimes in the mix.

Last edited:

He is great and amazing playeer, Gorgeous kit and unreal technique and from wat i hear is very versatile and can go from extrme to jazz flawlessy( which is not an easy thing to do id say).....I also found his exercises on his site are really helpful and have been incorperated into my everyday practicse sheduale
So Thanks derek!!!

just wondering well if derek's about on here, but usually id be listening to metal, i can drum along to most artists or try anyways, usually its about speed, like ya gota be fast to drum metal, but have you ever listened to bands like meshuggah, really mad off timing beats, would you find this kind of drumming complex, or is it only normal guys like me who do

can you say endurance?
this guy never stops going.
i saw a video on youtube of him talking about his flat foot double bass technique its really interesting. i'll put it on here. he's talking abuot doing double at like 250 and being loud with no triggers its so loud in the video. WOW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMAHphUTnk

i gotta say derek that i am blown away by the fact that you can run on the pedals at like 240. i have always struggled with high speeds when it comes to double bass.

Thanks for the kind comments.
It's just a matter of how much time you spend doing it. That's the key.
It wasn't always perfect for me. I was at a place that EVERYONE of you... are in now.
It's just about doing it as much as you can and and letting go of the idea of "gaining speed".
It will come but it might show itself in way you aren't expecting...like practicing other things.
Cheers.
D.

Derek, you have 2 brains, right? One for the feet and one for the hands, 'cuz there is NO friggin' way that one brain can take care of both your hands and feet! =)
btw, I love the 3/2 footpattern in I Monarch, I play it very often but with my hands instead, since I don't have a cable hat on my right...
...yet =)

Derek Roddy joined the Meinl Cymbal Team and will appear at the Meinl Drumfestival 2007 in Gutenstetten....Congratulations...

Bernhard

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Derek_Roddy.html

derek-roddy-8.jpg

derek-roddy-10.jpg

derek-roddy-6.jpg

What?
Noooooooooooo!!!
Well, Meinl's are good cymbals, I just prefer Sabians =)
Oh, congratz btw!

Back