Football v American Football

They're both fantastic games, IMO.

Ever watched Australian rules football? (I think that's what it's called)

Now that's a bizzarre game (to an American like me).

who have you seen diving in AF. A punter trying to draw a penalty. Give me a break. You don't know the game at all.

Exactly. Diving is the last thing you could accuse the players in the NFL of doing. Mostly because blocking and tackling are lega parts of the game, so what is to be gained by diving?

Do any of the Soccer people on here want to comment on the soccer offsides? I mentioned I think it is bad for soccer and makes it too defensive. Hardly any shots on goal makes the game frustrating to watch. Why don't they use a line to mark a section of the field, like the blue line in hockey? Once you're in with the ball anything goes.

who have you seen diving in AF. A punter trying to draw a penalty. Give me a break. You don't know the game at all.

Gruntersdad.

That was called a tongue in cheek comment that i made.

Do not players in AF dive on to or at each other.

And yes. i know sweet FA about AF, I am English, the only thing i know about AF is there is alot of standing around, time outs and players dance alot when they score.

Last edited:
Exactly. Diving is the last thing you could accuse the players in the NFL of doing. Mostly because blocking and tackling are lega parts of the game, so what is to be gained by diving?

Do any of the Soccer people on here want to comment on the soccer offsides? I mentioned I think it is bad for soccer and makes it too defensive. Hardly any shots on goal makes the game frustrating to watch. Why don't they use a line to mark a section of the field, like the blue line in hockey? Once you're in with the ball anything goes.

The off side rule in FOOTBALL is there for a very good reason, to stop goal hanging, you could have two players camped out by the goal keeper just waiting for the ball to come.

No that rule is there for a very good reason

Yeh I would have to agree that American football is in no way more brutal than Rugby Union. I have played rugby in scotland (no not the main team) for a few years now and in various positions mostly forward. The forwards take ALOT of hits to the chest and back. You have to be really careful in fully contested scrum because basically if u mess up in there you have a good chance of snapping your back in two. Also in rugby there is alot less standing around than american football especially if ur a forward. When thers a turnover its a quick line out and your away again. lol so out of the three the highest risk of severe injury or death is rugby. I wonder why i play it sometimes... ach wel its amazing anyway.

Gruntersdad.

That was called a tongue in cheek comment that i made.

Do not players in AF dive on to or at each other.

Point taken.

As for offsides. It needs to be there for sure. Just like hockey you would have "snow birds" just sitting there waiting for a shot or pass at any time. Offside is easy but gets messy when you have a serious challenge in front of the goal with a bunch of players. You just have to play yourself back onside, as in hockey.

My dad, before he was prime minister was in the SAS, and before that, he taught the hard men, how to be tough, and before that he was a policeman..

So there..

But then, we also play Rugby, wihtout any padding .

Last edited:
But then, we also play Rugby, wihtout any padding ..

Why would padding be required, it's not like they run full speed into each other. Just a bunch of tackling and poking each other in the eye from what I gather, we used to play that when we were kids here and called it smear the queer or Muckle, it's not that rough. Since you refuse to make an intelligent post regarding Football I guess I will return the favor

The off side rule in FOOTBALL is there for a very good reason, to stop goal hanging, you could have two players camped out by the goal keeper just waiting for the ball to come.

No that rule is there for a very good reason

I understand why offsides is needed, but the way they implement is too hard to call and stifles the game too much.

Like I said in my prior post, why can't they have a soccer equivalent of the hockey blueline, not some ever shifting invisible line?

Why would padding be required, it's not like they run full speed into each other. Just a bunch of tackling and poking each other in the eye from what I gather, we used to play that when we were kids here and called it smear the queer or Muckle, it's not that rough. Since you refuse to make an intelligent post regarding Football I guess I will return the favor

Well as a kid, or you still might be, you proberly played kids rugby (Rugby League or touch Rugby) as we do here for our kids under 12, as the game adults play (Union) is far to dangerous for kids to play, as we run at each other head on, without pads.

With rugby, the player that you see, is what you get, not like AF were the 8' giant of a player, is actually 5'1" with all his padding removed.

I would try and talk about the basics behind the off side rule in FOOTBALL but for some it may be to taxing for you to grasp.

Well as a kid, or you still might be, you proberly played kids rugby (Rugby League or touch Rugby) as we do here for our kids under 12, as the game adults play (Union) is far to dangerous for kids to play, as we run at each other head on, without pads.

With rugby, the player that you see, is what you get, not like AF were the 8' giant of a player, is actually 5'1" with all his padding removed.

WOW . You obviously know nothing of AF, why your so envious of it I don;t understand. I mean I could understand if you knew the game and made a somewhat intelligent informed opinion but wow bro.. you are looking kinda dumb the more you post. How is the air way up there on your high horse by the way? is it warmer or cooler? Just curious..

Ok guys......forget 'the world game', forget NFL, forget rugby.....forget my beloved AFL and cricket, forget tiddlywinks for that matter.....I have something far, far better.

Last night, the good wife and myself were channel surfing and we stumbled across......'The Lingerie Football League'.........LEAGUE?!?!?!? This denotes there are more than two teams.

We have no event here in Oz to match the class of this sporting gem. Would my friends Stateside care to elaborate on my new favourite veiwing pastime? Anyone know anything about this?

Great stuff GD....thanks for that. Suddenly being smashed and driven into the ground sounds so appealing..........and to think, up until this point I though the 'rock, paper, scissors' world championships was the best thing going round!!

Lovin' it!

Being a rugby fan I appreciate American football. It has amazing tactics. Tactics that have been put to use in warfare! For example, US Navy and Marine Air squadrons used these tactics in battle with the Japanese with amazing results. Even when the Japanese equipment far out classed them.

Many people out of the US fail to realize that those guys can be tackled in the air. Unlike Rugby or League.

As for soccer? I wont watch it until there is a director, an assistant director and a stretcher bearing team following each player around on the field. Then at last that game will be honest.

My dad, before he was prime minister was in the SAS, and before that, he taught the hard men, how to be tough, and before that he was a policeman..

So there..

But then, we also play Rugby, wihtout any padding ..

I like how you bring your dad's achievements into this...actually no I don't.
How old are you? I usually expect europeans to be a little more controlled and respectable since some usually talk down on us about our ways (like you) but you've completely blown my assumption all to hell. I find your ridiculous points in this argument rather amusing like I find comical TV shows...I don't take them seriously.

I sincerely laughed out loud when I read "He teaches the hard men to be tough" LOL

Back