Ringo Starr

Definitely. Looking at those it's weird to think where he ended up. I think the Beatles brought out the artist in him, maybe. I think they brought out the artist in each other. Whatever, he sure rose to the occasion.

Earlier I was listening to "I Want To Tell You." That's some great drumming, right on the money. I always liked the way Ringo played a shuffle.

And put yourself in Ringo's place when John Lennon brought in "Come Together." Could you have come up with a dead-hip drum part like that? It's a classic.

There are so many classic songs that he just absolutely nailed. What a great drummer.

Good old RIngo Starr! I love the guy.

"Ringo sux lol!"

Anyway, me and the keyboardist in my band has always made fun of Ringo and saying that he's made a top secret drum-technique dvd. In this dvd the only thing he said(which was the top secret technique), was keeping 8ths on the bassdrum in fills.

On the other side, I've always like Beatles, even if some of the later stuff was pretty out there(Revolution nr 9 or what its called). I remember MCcartney saying that Ringo wasnt even the best drummer in the band? In an octopus´ garden isnt the best Beatles song, but many people seem to forget that good old Ringo was there and layed out the beats while MCcartney and Lennon was arguing about the music. He does a decent job too, and he isnt as bad as people say he is. He gets alot of flack for being to simple in comparison to MCcartneys bassplaying, but atleast it sounds good enough.

I just taught one of my 8 year olds Come Together. It took us about six weeks.

Take that RockBand . . . ®

I would like to get Ringo's take on the technical prowess vs. financial success thread.

Ringo was good enough to dump Pete Best, and the Beatles had one of the best, if not the best, producers when they were together, and he had no problem with Ringo. He was from an era where keeping the beat was more important than flash and the number of tattoos one had. And he was civil enough to keep his shirt on the entire time.

Last edited:
Thaard....

Bernhard is not kidding.
Brian Epstein, their manager early on, was in love w/ John Lennon.
I'm pretty sure he was hot for Paul too.
On this board, equate Ringo to someone you just don't put down, even jokingly.

Re: the Come Together part....You have to wonder if Ringo came up with that part himself, or if it was a result of George Martins producing skills.
(Hey Ringo, try losing the cymbals for this track, see what happens...)
Anybody know?

Thaard....

Bernhard is not kidding.
Brian Epstein, their manager early on, was in love w/ John Lennon.
I'm pretty sure he was hot for Paul too.
On this board, equate Ringo to someone you just don't put down, even jokingly.

Re: the Come Together part....You have to wonder if Ringo came up with that part himself, or if it was a result of George Martins producing skills.
(Hey Ringo, try losing the cymbals for this track, see what happens...)
Anybody know?

Ok? Geez.. Didnt know it was that serious..

I love Ringo's playing. As has been mentioned on the forum before, the composition of his drum parts is inspired and a lot of stuff he plays is harder than it sounds to get vibing the way he does.

Was it George Martin who came up with the parts? Maybe at times but I'm sure R came up with plenty himself because there are some fine drum parts on his solo stuff too. How about Instant Amnesia from his Ringorama album?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-spAA9aLN0

Love it love it love it!

Ok? Geez.. Didnt know it was that serious..

You should even apologize, that's how serious it is. You don't want Bernhard taking his anger out on you and deleting forever your access to this fine forum

If the Beatles had Keltner, Vinnie, Gadd, ANYBODY else they wouldn't have been the Beatles. Change Ringo- no Beatles.

They were great and he was 1/4 of the equation.

I wouldn't suggest that George Martin wrote or suggested any drum parts or fills, but I'm saying that with the amount of time he put into their projects or albums, that if Ringo were not a skilled drummer, he would not have been around.

Thanks for posting that. Ringo is too syncopated. He should just lay back and play on the two and four. I don't like it when drummers are syncopated and change around the beats too much. You can't dance to that. :p

Certainly a reason to love Ludwig three ply maples

Damn straight, Ken. Why would he put that Dave Weckl drum track on Ringo's thread?

Seriously, thanks Papajo. That's a great find. It really highlights that weird and wonderful semi shuffle our man plays.

Hi Guys,
I'm late to the party but,....thought I'd chime in from a totally different perspective.

I've been a gtr player for over 30 years and made a living as a musician. Of course I always thought Lennon & Macca were genius' and truthfully as a gtr plyr never gave much thought to Ringo.
I recently started playing drums and have discovered how great he really is. As with any instrument,..most often, it's what you DON'T play that counts.

So,...This is where I voice an opinion and go down in flames......lol.... Through years of gigging with drummers,..... IMO,...there is nothing more aggravating than a drummer with chops!....I realize context is everything, so don't take that super literal, but.
Why any drummer would think that fills every 4 or 8, turning the beat around,..fancy hihat shit,...is cool in pop/rock stuff..is,..beyond me....
But you do,...I know you're out there guys,...LOL!!

There is nothing more annoying than trying to solo or sing with that shit in the way.
Trust me,..your band feels this way,..they just won't tell you because drummers are rarer than you think.
You always know when a drummer has chops,...they can't help it....lol

No coincidence,....Just about everytime I ask a drummer who his favorite player is.
It's always Vinnie and or Gadd,....they are wonderful players but for my taste,. I'd take Ringo over them anyday. IN A POP/ROCK CONTEXT....

Ringo NEVER overplayed and I think most drummers miss that concept. Was very creative as mentioned,...Get Back,..Come Together, Swinging his ass off on the ride in I Feel Fine. What?! do these tunes call for someone roaring around the kit with fills all over?
No!
As a writer,...I would never imagine those beats if I brought those songs into my band.
So,..I'll take a Ringo or Keltner on my tracks anyday. (I wish,..lol)
I also do progressive stuff,...and will go as far as Brectlein (spelling?),...I love him.
Play for the song, not for yourself

That's it cats!
Peace and Love

Back