Young Biggie Freestylin'

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
At age 17, this guy was freestylin' in Brooklyn, leaving all others in the dust. Can you imagine a more hardcore way to build up your chops? You either won or slunk away with your tail between your legs. No prep, you improvise the lyrics right there on the spot.

What a talent.

http://www.break.com/video/young-notorious-big-freestyle-2510349

Jeff, I get the lyrical & presentation/execution talent of freestyle/improv performances such as this, but no matter how hard I try to open my mind, it doesn't speak to me one little bit.

That's very cool and I'm not a rap fan. He definitely had talent and a good mature set of vocal chords to get his feelings out.

Jeff, I get the lyrical & presentation/execution talent of freestyle/improv performances such as this, but no matter how hard I try to open my mind, it doesn't speak to me one little bit.

I hear you. It's not as if "gangsta rap" if everyone's cup of tea.

It's funny because my rock bandmates hate it as well. I always identified with the rawness of it all. It is one of the few music forms in which the artist is actually saying something about his day to day real life existence as opposed to singing about a lost love or a need to party or
some fantastical nonsense.

Life in those neighborhoods is hard, and this music reflects that. It is real, it is aggressive and it is ugly because that is what life under those conditions can be.

yeah this vid has been circulating for quite a few years

Chris was a supreme talent and was taken from us too soon

I remember him making the rounds with Mister Cee in the early 90s before he even knew Puff and all the battles late night at all the clubs in Manhattan and Brooklyn ....BIG would slay everyone ....cats would leave in tears

those were the days

Nas was coming up doing his rounds with AZ and Ill Will before Will was unfortunately shot, Prince Rakeem aka RZA had formed Wu Tang, the Beatnuts were shaking the streets ....NYC was on fire back then

Back