ceiling mic stands

wert90

hi,

im fed up of mic stands getting tangled with my cymbal stands in my garage. i was thinking of getting some desktop mic stands and drilling them to the ceiling for my overheads.

then i thought... why even get the stands? if i can get a double sided bolt with the same size thread as the mic holder why not attach the bit that actually holds the mic straight into the ceiling?

has anyone given either of these a go? were the results any good?

thanks guys and girls

I'd be worried that the sound waves transferring into the ceiling would be passed through the mic stands to the mics. You'd have to isolate the mics somehow. Also, have you considered maybe getting some coupling for the threads you put on the ceiling so you can extend the stands by simply screwing in another rod that's threaded on both ends? Wait, what about attaching the threads into some tracks so you could position the mics by sliding them on the tracks? That way you could experiment with closer overheads for the cymbals and slide them back to try out using them as room mics...

Tons of possibilities!

Why not just hang them by the cords with cable tacks. I'm putting a new ceiling in my music room and will run the cords through the suspended ceiling along the wall and then down to my mixer. No cords on the floor.

I like that tracks idea :), umm i think having the mic attatched to your ceiling, you may need to somehow dampen the vibrations around the mic, because on the stands i guess they have a lengthy stand to obsorb alot of the vibration created, but attatched to the ceiling, there would be alot of vibration i think. So if you somehow dampen the vibration, i think you will do fine with having the mics attactched to the ceiling, just make sure you get it in the right position :p

How about these

qlock1.jpg

quik lok boom attachments may reduce the amount of stands needed.

those are alright..

but you'd need to get a shock absorber.

cause when you hit the cymbal, its gonna send vibrations through the stand into the mic.

Alex

I was thinking attaching them to a mic stand not existing cymbal stands thus reducing the amount of mic stands. I think they would interfere with the cymbals too much if attached to the same stand.

hmmmmm..... is that really so great having 2 mics right next to each other?

i do like the boom arm idea though, makes it all adjustable. is it all screwed in under that white cover?

as for shock absorbtion, are that many vibrations really gunna make it out my kit, up the walls and onto the ceiling?!?

i do like the boom arm idea though, makes it all adjustable. is it all screwed in under that white cover?

as for shock absorbtion, are that many vibrations really gunna make it out my kit, up the walls and onto the ceiling?!?

Boom stands aren't 100% rigid. If you tighten every joint down as hard as you can, there still is some give. I think there is probably enough give to give you the shock absorbsion you are talking about. The longer the tubing, the less rigid it will be. I never really thought about putting anything between the floor and my mic stands. I have never noticed anything negative about placing a round base mic stand on the ground. Isn't that the same thing as screwing a boom-stand into the ceiling?

I don't think you need to worry about vibrations going through the ceiling and affecting the ceiling mics. Floor stands are subject to the same vibrations and no one thinks twice about that. In fact, floor stands are subject to footsteps, etc., and ceiling stands are not. I've never noticed a problem with my ceiling-mounted mics. Most mics nowdays have some internal dampening anyway.

It is common to mount two mics close like that but you will usually want to point them in opposite directions. Or, you can put one of the mics in a floor stand and leave the other in the ceiling stand. I have done it both ways.

Under the white cover (which is just a tabletop mic stand painted and drilled and with nylon grommets to not abrade the cord) is a hole in the ceiling and the cables run up into the hole, inside the ceiling, down the wall and through the grommeted metal plate to plug into the mixer. I did this in conjunction with the ceiling fan installation that helped make it easier.

I bored holes through the stand and screwed it to a ceiling joist. I countersunk the holes and painted the screws, so the screws are not easy to see and the installation looks cleaner. There is about four feet of cord stowed in the ceiling that I can pull our or push in as needed.

Between the boom and the base is a section of 3/8" rod, threaded at each end. I have more of this rod and connecting bolts on hand to extend the boom downward even more if needed.

I would encourage you to go the route of drilling a tabletop stand into the ceiling and using a boom stand. With extensions, I can drop the boom to the floor for recording tablas, or move it in a wide arc to pick up bandmates. It has plenty of versatility.

Back