What size of drumsticks?

aznbennet

i use 5A drumsticks but my wrist started to hurt a little bit
should i switch so 7A? since i have really small wrist.
Which stick is good to prevent injuries like carpal tunnel? heavy or light?

i use 5A drumsticks but my wrist started to hurt a little bit
should i switch so 7A? since i have really small wrist.
Which stick is good to prevent injuries like carpal tunnel? heavy or light?

Its all in how you throw the stick and respond to rebound that will cut your chances of getting anything. Its all about good tecneque. For me though, i got double joints, so its always a struggle, but ive found a tecneque that works for me and you will too. Do you find the you really hold onto the stick? Like, do you got a really tight grip? And do you use all of your arm and wrist to play? Do you stretch?

no tight grip on the 7A stick but the 5A yes because i play fast and yea i do warm up on my practice pad

It's not the stick, it's what you're doing with it mate. Suggest you revise your technique.

There is no stick that will prevent carpel tunnel.....that comes down to ensuring you're playing properly.

Idk my drum teacher said i should get the 7A drumstick just saying

What stick you choose to use comes down to how they feel in your hands or what application you're gonna use them for. Not preventing injuries.....that much I do know.

If your teacher doesn't realise that, then I'd be looking elsewhere.....just sayin' ;-)

nvm ill take the 7A i feel more comfortable

I'm not suggesting that you don't try a 7A. Try everything mate and use the stick that you like the feel of best. If you find that a 7A stick is most comfortable then that's great.

But what I am suggesting is that if your wrists are hurting with a 5A stick it's because you are doing something wrong. The difference really isn't that great that it's the weight alone that's causing the issues. To think that you may develop carpel tunnel with a 5A stick but won't with a 7A is just not correct.

First of all, what are your sticks made of? Very hard sticks, absorb shock differently than softer wood sticks. I know lots of very young beginner drummers that started out with 2B hickory sticks with no problems. I would re-evaluate your technique. People who play really hard with too light a stick have a tendancy to have more stress injury problems. I still use 2B hickorys for practice to build up strength, and switch to Vic Firth SD1 maple sticks for most playing.

Back